Veiled threw up

So my 1.5 (aprx) year old male veil just threw up and then seemed to have trouble breathing. I had just given him his liquid vitamins and then put him on his vines in the shower. (I have vines on the wall of my shower for him so he could get the extra moisture) he walked around a bit them I noticed him open his mouth really wide and he started to do a little wiggly dance like thing and then he threw up a large chunk of undigested hornworms. Then he lifted his head and took a deep and kept doing that. It seemed like he was having trouble breathing. He refused to let me put him down. After about ten mins his breathing went back to regular. But he was still dark and stressed untill I let him go into my shirt were he likes to stretch out and went to sleep.

I don't think he's dehydrated as his poop has the regular white and even a little extra liquid. He has a uvb strip light and another uva bulb in addition to a heat lamp. Hes in a screen cage that's 24"x24"x48". The temp in his cage is 89° during the day and 75° at night. He has a humidifier thats constantly running and I mist the cage abt 2 times a day.

Should I got to an emergency vet as his regular vet is closed or is it something that could wait?

I don't believe he would have thrown up the hornworm chunks if the multivitamin was aspirated. When my chameleon aspirated water (a one-time occurrence so I'm not an expert by any means), he didn't throw up any bugs even though I had just fed him about 5-10 minutes beforehand.

When your cham was doing the wiggles, did he ever point his nose up towards the ceiling? How many hornworms or bugs did you feed him before the incident? It's still possible that he did aspirate the vitamins but I don't think stomach contents would come up when wiggling/coughing. It could be possible that he was stuffed from the hornworms, then filled even more to the brim with the liquid multivitamins, and then he might have had a drink of water (instinctually) from the shower which ended up being the straw the broke the camel(eon)'s back.

How much liquid multivitamin did you give? And even if he is a picky eater, as long as he is eating, you should be fine dusting with multivitamins twice a month. As long as you follow that schedule (along with the other supplements such as plain calcium and D3) there should be no need for a liquid vitamin.

How is your cham doing now? Is he awake? Does he still seem stressed out?

The shower wasn't on yet so he didn't drink any water...
I didn't give him any worms today
I only gave him a few drops. It's one drop for every 50 grams of weight and he's abt 250 grams.

If he's looking fine tomorrow (and seems to be his usual self) but doesn't poop, I personally wouldn't take him to the vet. I wouldn't be too concerned if he is acting like his normal self--but continue to be observant. @kinyonga can weigh in as well. I wouldn't base his current health on whether he defecates tomorrow or what it looks like (in this particular circumstance). Keep an eye on his eyes (sunken in or not), his mouth (if he's gaping or looking up--even slightly), and whether his behavior is normal.

On a side note,
The temp in his cage is 89° during the day and 75° at night. He has a humidifier thats constantly running and I mist the cage abt 2 times a day.
The max his basking spot should be is right around 85. A good range to aim for is between 80-85 (at the back of your cham's back/casque). Additionally, his cage should be getting cooler than 75 at night. They need a nighttime temperature drop preferably around 65 or below. Is there any way that you can cool the room that your chameleon is in at night? 75F is a good daytime ambient for a veiled (range between 72-78F).

Also, how are you measuring the humidity levels? Are you sure you need to run the humidifier during the day? Unless your humidity levels are under 30%, then you should not need to increase humidity throughout the day. Daytime humidity for a veiled should range between 30%-50% while the nighttime should range from 80%-100% humidity.

Oops, I forgot to post this as well.
1613958379625.png

https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

Back
Top Bottom