Veiled teenager, I think its a boy???

No, thought it was a boy. I will start working on it. I didn't wanted to deal with babies, They weren't clear on the genders at the reptile con.
Read over the veiled care sheet here, as female veileds have different requirements than males. There’s also info on lay bins there.

However she still needs to lay eggs on a regular basis, fertile or not. If she has no proper place to lay them she will hold onto them and possibly become “egg bound” which often leads to death.

A proper lay bin will help her stay happy and healthy.
Yes, it needs to be a permanent part of her cage

Yes, it needs to be a permanent part of her cage

I can make the bucket laying bin, but you guys aren't saying it has to stay in her cage? She has a medium size cage, i don't think i can leave a 12in bucket in there with the plants she sits on. Can i have it off to the side (outside the cage) and watch for the signs and place her in there when needed?

I can make the bucket laying bin, but you guys aren't saying it has to stay in her cage? She has a medium size cage, i don't think i can leave a 12in bucket in there with the plants she sits on. Can i have it off to the side (outside the cage) and watch for the signs and place her in there when needed?
It needs to be in her cage. Mount plant pots on the walls of the cage or suspend them from the cage ceiling with a wooden support. What are the dimensions of her cage?

We advocate making the lay bin a permanent part of her viv to eliminate all the guess work of when to put her in the bin. Some people put the bin in the viv when they think it’s time but again they are trying to time it and you also have to greatly disturb her viv to fit it in there. Having the lay bin as a permanent feature of her viv also, and probably most importantly, eliminates very stressful handling at a very sensitive time. And I’d you don’t time it correctly the first time you will have to stress her out repeatedly until you get it right. Moving her to the bin also proves to her that she is not blending into her environment and is completely exposed. She will not lay if she feels exposed, she requires privacy.

To sum it all up, yes you can move her to the bin when you “think” it’s time but trying to time it has numerous downsides for your Cham, all of which can be life threatening.

Having her bin in her viv 24/7 is the way to go.

We advocate making the lay bin a permanent part of her viv to eliminate all the guess work of when to put her in the bin. Some people put the bin in the viv when they think it’s time but again they are trying to time it and you also have to greatly disturb her viv to fit it in there. Having the lay bin as a permanent feature of her viv also, and probably most importantly, eliminates very stressful handling at a very sensitive time. And I’d you don’t time it correctly the first time you will have to stress her out repeatedly until you get it right. Moving her to the bin also proves to her that she is not blending into her environment and is completely exposed. She will not lay if she feels exposed, she requires privacy.

To sum it all up, yes you can move her to the bin when you “think” it’s time but trying to time it has numerous downsides for your Cham, all of which can be life threatening.

Having her bin in her viv 24/7 is the way to go.

Ok I'm on it!
she has a Medium size cage of 18x18x30, i have already been looking for a cage upgrade online.

Back
Top Bottom