Veiled stays darker color most of the time

Big Gulp

Established Member
I have a male veiled that I've had now for 2 years (got him as a baby).

The majority of the time, he's darker colored instead of the bright, vibrant color that he gets when he's sleeping.

Now, I always heard that when they're darker, they can be stressed, grumpy, sick, etc. I had him to the vet for a checkup a while back and he found nothing wrong with him.

He's naturally a grumpy little bugger. Anytime I go near or hold him, he either takes off or opens his mouth and hisses. Funny thing is, when he is angry and hisses at me (when I take him out of his cage), he gets that bright green/yellow.

What gives?

I have a male veiled that I've had now for 2 years (got him as a baby).

The majority of the time, he's darker colored instead of the bright, vibrant color that he gets when he's sleeping.

Now, I always heard that when they're darker, they can be stressed, grumpy, sick, etc. I had him to the vet for a checkup a while back and he found nothing wrong with him.

He's naturally a grumpy little bugger. Anytime I go near or hold him, he either takes off or opens his mouth and hisses. Funny thing is, when he is angry and hisses at me (when I take him out of his cage), he gets that bright green/yellow.

What gives?

Sleeping colors are usually lighter/brighter than awake colors depending on species. When a cham is reacting to a stressor their color change goes through phases...starting off by getting brighter and more contrasty (kind of the mild display warning phase), and if the stress keeps increasing more and more dark gets saturated around their normal stripes or bars (transitioning to real anger or fear). Depending on the species they can also start showing dark spotting over the other colors.

If he was simply cold he would be dull dark all over with no real contrast between his other markings (his stripes).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom