Veiled staying near bottom

Glitch

Woke up this morning and noticed her near the bottom of the cage. Not in her usual spot in the middle but on the side of the mesh sleeping near the bottom. Yesterday as well when i got home from work she was also sleeping at the bottom of the cage inside some of the brush i put in their. I do know its gotten pretty cold for florida, But i put on some extra heat lighting sources to add to it. A 75w red IR light. It does stay between for the most part 70 to 85 occasionally gets 68* but thats the lowest because our Heater kicks on.

So when you get home is it night or day time? Your cham should not be sleeping during the day. I live in Florida too but have not noticed any changes with my cham and the cold, just he is a little slower getting to his basking spot in the morning.

A 75 watt sounds too hot for a female and chams do not like red. Red lights are not recommended. If she was too hot she could have been trying to get away from the heat. How do you measure your temps? Also how old is she? Do you have a laying bin for her?

Carol- I get up at around 630 am and thats when i turn on the lights and get home at 630 and i shut the lights off around then. I leave on the Infrared light over night for now because of the cold weather. So its Dark when i leave and Dark when i get home. Shes not necessarily sleeping during the day, i just noticed she moved her sleep spot and is just slow to kinda get up and go. But dont really know if its because of the cold weather since we got that snap that came through last night and the night before.

Jann- I have a Digital thermometer that measures direct spot temp and ambient temperature, Direct stays around mid 80s and ambient high 70s. At night it does drop into Low 70s and in the past day, according to my thermometer since it records the lowest temps and highest temps, the lowest was 68*

She gets misted with warm water by hand wich will be fixed and every thing put on a timer *lights mist system etc.* 4 times a day, Once in the morning when she wakes up with me, when my mom leaves for work around 930, when my mom gets home from work 330 and when i get home from work before i shut off the lights around 630.

I do have a laying bin, i put it in their a few weeks ago cause it should be about that time that she lays her first unfertilized clutch and i have noticed her changing some slight color, She is about 8-9mos old estimated.

She does otherwise look healthy on the outside, appears alert, eating fine producing good stoole etc. It just made me ?? why the past few days or so she has just chosen to sleep near the bottom or a differant area instead of in the middle like she usually does.

My panther moves down to his sleep spot an hour or more before lights out. He's still awake but is already in sleep position. I guess its because my room is pretty much dark by 5PM and all that is on is the cage lights. I keep the same schedule as you with lights on and off and my chams are healthy and growing. I wouldn't worry about it so much because maybe she has a new favorite spot...

Carol- I get up at around 630 am and thats when i turn on the lights and get home at 630 and i shut the lights off around then. I leave on the Infrared light over night for now because of the cold weather. So its Dark when i leave and Dark when i get home. Shes not necessarily sleeping during the day, i just noticed she moved her sleep spot and is just slow to kinda get up and go. But dont really know if its because of the cold weather since we got that snap that came through last night and the night before.

Jann- I have a Digital thermometer that measures direct spot temp and ambient temperature, Direct stays around mid 80s and ambient high 70s. At night it does drop into Low 70s and in the past day, according to my thermometer since it records the lowest temps and highest temps, the lowest was 68*

She gets misted with warm water by hand wich will be fixed and every thing put on a timer *lights mist system etc.* 4 times a day, Once in the morning when she wakes up with me, when my mom leaves for work around 930, when my mom gets home from work 330 and when i get home from work before i shut off the lights around 630.

I do have a laying bin, i put it in their a few weeks ago cause it should be about that time that she lays her first unfertilized clutch and i have noticed her changing some slight color, She is about 8-9mos old estimated.

She does otherwise look healthy on the outside, appears alert, eating fine producing good stoole etc. It just made me ?? why the past few days or so she has just chosen to sleep near the bottom or a differant area instead of in the middle like she usually does.

It sounds like everything is fine. This morning it was cold in our house and I finally decided to go into the cage and move my cham up to his basking branch!!! He just seemed like he was too cold to move. My husband forgot to turn the heat on! I thought he did and he thought I did! I never woke up in the middle of the night freezing or anything. Heat is on now though!!! Dang this is cold for us Floridians!!!!

It is! im loving this cold, But maybe it is just that...its just taking her a bit to get started in the morning >< Its my first cham so every time some kind of new habbit happens i learn something else new lol I guess ill just keep an eye on her for the next few days or so and just see if anything else happens. Thanks for the advice everyone ^^

Back
Top Bottom