Veiled Shaking

I looked around to see if I could find any other threads that described what my 4 month old male veiled is currently doing. I’ve attached a few photos, couldn’t attach a video. He’s just shaking on the vine. He’s been doing it for about 5 minutes. None of the other threads were helpful at this point. Any idea what’s going on? I did see that males do this to assert dominance?
E922958D-4922-455E-9D51-4422FD10168B.jpeg
CCBBC397-1A5A-4C42-9737-0E4FE6F19D1C.jpeg
22F585B0-37D8-4C1D-8894-EAC47D685A31.jpeg
51B93A70-61D2-4F15-901A-B57F6974B96E.jpeg

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He is about 3-4 months old and I’ve had him about 2 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled him a few times. I’ve been feeding him off of my hand once a day to build trust.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders. I feed him 6 crickets in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. They are gutloaded with carrots, blueberries, escarole, blackberries, cilantro, and ZooMed natural cricket care. I I have wax worms, but have only given a few so far. He wasn’t impressed. He’s obsessed with eating his Pothos plant, so I gave him some escarole and cilantro.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Daily with Phos free Rep Cal calcium. Twice a month with Rep Cal Herptivite. Twice a month with phos free rep cal with D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a little dripper, and a pressure mister. I mist 2-3 times a day for a few minutes. I have not seen him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His droppings are medium to dark brown with white urates. Today they were a little orangish. He goes once or twice a day almost like clockwork. It’s not hard, but also not soggy. I have not had him tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He’s so new I have nothing.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18x18x24 glass with mesh top. Working on a custom build for when he’s a bit bigger.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours of Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 75 watt ZooMed basking bulb. All outside cage.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
    Basking 85-95, cage floor 60-70 . Lowest overnight temp? 60 degrees. How do you measure these temps? I have thermometers on the top and bottom inside the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Levels are 30-40 in top of cage and 50-60 on bottom. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Dual temp and humidity gages at top and bottom of cage. Maintaining by real plants and regular misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have Pothos and Ficus
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4 ft off floor. In an unused bedroom. I hang out in there, but mostly for reading, no tv, not lots of traffic. There is a ceiling fan, but I’ve avoided putting it on.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Cleveland , Ohio USA

Last edited:
Was he hunting in all these pics? His mouth is open in every one.

his mouth is open a lot. I was worried about URI but I’ve never seen any white stringy stuff or bubbles in his mouth. He’s never made any noise. There may still be a cricket or two down below him. He also just finished his first shed with me.

Last edited:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He is about 3-4 months old and I’ve had him about 2 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have only handled him a few times. I’ve been feeding him off of my hand once a day to build trust.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders. I feed him 6 crickets in the morning and 6 in the afternoon. They are gutloaded with carrots, blueberries, escarole, blackberries, cilantro, and ZooMed natural cricket care. I I have wax worms, but have only given a few so far. He wasn’t impressed. He’s obsessed with eating his Pothos plant, so I gave him some escarole and cilantro.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Daily with Phos free Rep Cal calcium. Twice a month with Rep Cal Herptivite. Twice a month with phos free rep cal with D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a little dripper, and a pressure mister. I mist 2-3 times a day for a few minutes. I have not seen him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His droppings are medium to dark brown with white urates. Today they were a little orangish. He goes once or twice a day almost like clockwork. It’s not hard, but also not soggy. I have not had him tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He’s so new I have nothing.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 18x18x24 glass with mesh top. Working on a custom build for when he’s a bit bigger.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours of Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 75 watt ZooMed basking bulb. Night time 12 hours of 40 watt purple light (can’t remember brand) we let our house get down to about 60 degrees at night. All outside cage.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)?
    Basking 85-95, cage floor 60-70 . Lowest overnight temp? 60 degrees. How do you measure these temps? I have thermometers on the top and bottom inside the cage.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Levels are 30-40 in top of cage and 50-60 on bottom. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Dual temp and humidity gages at top and bottom of cage. Maintaining by real plants and regular misting.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have Pothos and Ficus
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 4 ft off floor. In an unused bedroom. I hang out in there, but mostly for reading, no tv, not lots of traffic. There is a ceiling fan, but I’ve avoided putting it on.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in Cleveland , Ohio USA
Hi there I just looked through an old thread of yours. Have you stopped using the light at night or have you still had the light on him since your last thread?

@Dexter’s Mom said..."Night time 12 hours of 40 watt purple light" there should be no lights at night. If you need heat use a heat emitter. They can take temperatures down into the 50s at night.

The vibrating looks like annoyance. ...but I have no idea what he's annoyed at. Is there any other critter in his line of site?

@Dexter’s Mom said..."Night time 12 hours of 40 watt purple light" there should be no lights at night. If you need heat use a heat emitter. They can take temperatures down into the 50s at night.

The vibrating looks like annoyance. ...but I have no idea what he's annoyed at. Is there any other critter in his line of site?
Oops, I stopped using that night light about a week ago. I forgot to change it in there.
No other critters here. Could he be seeing his reflection?

The color display I have seen my Cham do that when he was upset at me going into his space or when I would add a new plant/vine. The shaking looks like leaf shaking to me but it seems a little off. I think something is spooking him. Did you add anything new recently? Can we get a pic of the entire viv including Lights?
edit: I would dial down the basking to the 85 or mid 80 range. Getting to the 90s is a little too hot for his age which could explain the open mouth.

He isn't hunting and that is not the leaf dance. Agree with above, I think your issue is a combo of temperature and something stressing him out.

If nothing has changed in a while and there was no external stressor, id say its likely that his hormones are beginning to change and he is now trying to intimidate his reflection in the glass.

The color display I have seen my Cham do that when he was upset at me going into his space or when I would add a new plant/vine. The shaking looks like leaf shaking to me but it seems a little off. I think something is spooking him. Did you add anything new recently? Can we get a pic of the entire viv including Lights?
edit: I would dial down the basking to the 85 or mid 80 range. Getting to the 90s is a little too hot for his age which could explain the open mouth.
So I have a 75 watt bulb, maybe try a 60? The pics attached are what I have now. I’ve made a few changes, I’ll take new pics when I get home from work.
FE0B2A1A-F985-48E7-BA9A-A8F122E83E95.jpeg
C5DB565F-7DC4-4576-8AB7-D69A2C02335A.jpeg
A4C89039-68FC-4070-B676-1F647CE7A436.jpeg
3D692809-CED7-421B-BD00-BFAEC579222A.jpeg

He isn't hunting and that is not the leaf dance. Agree with above, I think your issue is a combo of temperature and something stressing him out.

If nothing has changed in a while and there was no external stressor, id say its likely that his hormones are beginning to change and he is now trying to intimidate his reflection in the glass.
I have added a few sticks, so maybe he’s getting used to the changes. I’m going to get the temp down once I get home. Hoping that helps. He does spend quite a bit of time in the middle of the viv

Back
Top Bottom