Veiled or Panther?

falconut

Hi, new to the boards. Not to lizards though, I've had many lizards and currently have a female green basilisk. Just haven't kept a chameleon.

While out and about yesterday, we saw a few chameleons at a local pet shop. These were adults that were not for sale, not like we were buying one before having a setup anyway. I am starting my research now for a future pet.

My wife liked the Panther, which came down the branch and interacted a little. She also likes the veiled. Is one better than the other for a beginner with chameleons?

Welcome to the forums. Panthers and veileds are kept just about the same so you should get which one you like the best. I keep both and they are really awesome chameleons. My veileds have always had the most personality but I interact with my chameleons on a daily basis. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers. It has links to pictures and where you can buy all the supplies that you will need for a chameleon. Most chameleon supplies can not be purchased at a pet store and have to be ordered on line.

This is how I successfully keep veileds and panthers: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Thanks. I did a google search for care sheets for both about an hour ago. It said the Panther needs a humidity of 60-85% and the veiled needs a humidity of around 50%.

Is this correct, the Veiled needs less humidity? Ever other thing they listed seemed to be the same between the two.

Thanks for the links, I read them when I get a chance.

I see you recommend the Reptisun 5.0 tube light. Is there something wrong with the Mecury Vapor bulbs for UVB?

I use a ReptileUV for my Basilisk and replace every year. They're supposed to disperse the UVB about 24" from the bulb, where I believe the tube bulbs have to be about 6-8" from the reptile for them to get UVB, plus don't they need to be replaced every 6 months?

Just looking for advice.

Mercury Vapor bulbs put off to much heat and by the time you get it close enough for the Cham to get UV it's way too hot. I would never recommend using one on a cage. Would be ok on a large free range for heat. I use them on a few of my free ranges.

In My personal Opinion I prefer panthers (I'm biased). They are just absolutely gorgeous and tend to be less moody.

Mercury Vapor bulbs put off to much heat and by the time you get it close enough for the Cham to get UV it's way too hot. I would never recommend using one on a cage. Would be ok on a large free range for heat. I use them on a few of my free ranges.

OK, go to know. So I'll plan on using the Reptisun 5.0 tube for UVB and replace every 6 months.

So, it seems there is minor difference between the two as far as care. If I'm correct this is the minor difference:

Panther - little more humidity (60%) and little less heat (mid 80's for basking)
Veiled - little less humidity (50%) and little more heat (around 90 basking)

OK, go to know. So I'll plan on using the Reptisun 5.0 tube for UVB and replace every 6 months.

So, it seems there is minor difference between the two as far as care. If I'm correct this is the minor difference:

Panther - little more humidity (60%) and little less heat (mid 80's for basking)
Veiled - little less humidity (50%) and little more heat (around 90 basking)

Correct! I keep my adult male veiled just under 90.... 88 or 89. I also wanted to tell you that males are easier to start with because females lay eggs without a male even being around and that can get tricky.

Veileds you can tell almost out of the egg.

Panthers, can be a bit harder, but usually can tell by 3 months of age.

Cool. I've read to get them around 5 months for best luck. So, they should be able to correctly sell me a male when the time is right.

Cool. I've read to get them around 5 months for best luck. So, they should be able to correctly sell me a male when the time is right.

ive sold veileds at 3 months old, panthers I would do the same age

sadly, a lot of people sell panthers (and even veileds for that matter) that cant sex them to save their lives.

that's why you should buy from a reputable breeder, such as our site sponsors.

Or buy from a forum member whose been around for a while.

Yeah, I think we're leaning heavily towards a Panther male. I see they're more $, but the colors of some of them are unbelievable. I've been searching some of the sponsors sites. I just haven't found where all of the sponsors are listed, so I just keep waiting for a different one to pop up on the sides of the forums.

Is there any reason why I can't use my current bird cage for him when he's fully grown? It's got 1/2" bar spacing and it's 26" x 19" x 36" tall. Sounds about the size I've been reading they need.

The adult male panther or veiled would need at least a 48 inch high cage. The bigger the better. :) You can find the site sponsors at the top left of the home page.

OK, thanks found them. Looks like the size I'll need to get is 24"x24"x48", which is being sold by several of the sponsors.

I already have a mister that I'm using on my Basilisk tank with two nozzles, but it can handle 15. I'll just add (1) for the chameleons change. So, I should be set there.

Back
Top Bottom