Veiled or Panther Chamelion?

ant0nina:)

Hi , i’m new to this forum and have been researching chameleons for a long time now but still not decided on which species to get (veiled or panther). I have heard that panther can be more “friendly” but veiled can be easier to look after - i understand that neither of the animals are easy to look after and i’m not a first time reptile owner :) . I have also noticed that panther are much more expensive and harder to get in the UK. For veiled chameleon owners , would you say after getting them used to you they can be handled? (If i got a chameleon , and he was very stressed when being handled , i would obviously not force anything and would be happy just to look at him and care for him without handling, but it obviously would be nicer and a slightly better experience to be able to) Thank you for any help! :)

Yes, it is manageable. And I recommend the veiled.
They are absolutely adorable. Here is a picture of my male(Mushu), and then my female(Spring) to suade you. ?

0728201924.jpg
0726201053f.jpg

So as far as care requirements they are basically the same except Veileds like 30-50% max humidity during the day and Panthers like 50-60%...

Now do you like spicy with attitude? Keep you on your toes never know what your gonna get? lol Then a Veiled is for you. :hilarious:

Panthers are known to be more gentle and easy going. HOWEVER they can come with an attitude as well.

I happen to be a Veiled gal... I love my boys. Spicy attitudes and all. They are stunning in their color displays as they mature. And honestly can be quite sweet. But it is all on their terms. Getting one that is 3-4 months old will allow you the ability to build trust. They will still test your patience and their boundaries... Kinda like a toddler hell bent on getting the toy in the store. :LOL:

I personally prefer veileds, but its really what you want and what you like in an attitude. Veileds can be more feisty and have a little more attitude while panthers are usually much calmer w/ a little sass, but this isn't always the case (you never really know what attitude it will have). But no matter what kind of chameleon you get you really can never tell if it will want to be handled or not, but you should always be prepared for it not want to be handled, cause that happens a lot. Also don't give up at first when trying to handle your cham, cause it usually takes months to build a bond with your chameleon. But make sure you respect him/her and give him/her space if he/she starts showing any signs that he/she does want to be handled. If you want to know how to tell you can message me and I can help you! But you seem to already know a lot so I think you'll be fine! Just make sure you're not buying a chameleon for the bond (I don't think you are tho which is great!) You should want a chameleon to give it the best life you can try to give it! Also keep in mind that panthers are usually like $300 while veileds are usually cheaper. (Those are the prices I see in where I live but it could be different for you.) Oh and one more thing: whatever type of chameleon you choose make sure to research on that type specifically cause things are different for each type of chameleon. You already seem to know most of this so that's amazing! Keep researching and I hope you have success in whatever chameleon you get! Hope this helps!

I only have veileds and I adore them and their attitudes. I’ve earned their trust by respecting their space and hand feeding. Up until somewhat recently I respected their desires not to be held. With just a couple of months of handling them a few times a week, they have calmed down about it and are now learning to extend some trust to me holding them.

I personally prefer veileds, but its really what you want and what you like in an attitude. Veileds can be more feisty and have a little more attitude while panthers are usually much calmer w/ a little sass, but this isn't always the case (you never really know what attitude it will have). But no matter what kind of chameleon you get you really can never tell if it will want to be handled or not, but you should always be prepared for it not want to be handled, cause that happens a lot. Also don't give up at first when trying to handle your cham, cause it usually takes months to build a bond with your chameleon. But make sure you respect him/her and give him/her space if he/she starts showing any signs that he/she does want to be handled. If you want to know how to tell you can message me and I can help you! But you seem to already know a lot so I think you'll be fine! Just make sure you're not buying a chameleon for the bond (I don't think you are tho which is great!) You should want a chameleon to give it the best life you can try to give it! Also keep in mind that panthers are usually like $300 while veileds are usually cheaper. (Those are the prices I see in where I live but it could be different for you.) Oh and one more thing: whatever type of chameleon you choose make sure to research on that type specifically cause things are different for each type of chameleon. You already seem to know most of this so that's amazing! Keep researching and I hope you have success in whatever chameleon you get! Hope this helps!

Thank you ! I’m leaning more to a veiled , as they are much more accessible where i live , and will be easier to keep up good husbandry, also will try and get a younger one ( around 3 months?) to work on my trust

I have both and would recommend a panther because they will probably be more friendly and veiled chameleons have sharp claws which make it annoying to handle them for example my hand is literally ripped up from jasmines claws but my panther dosen't have claws and is more friendly and has more vibrant colors.

Its up to you both species are amazing. Panthers will be a tad harder to keep but its mostly the same. Im in uk and have had no trouble finding panther chameleons.

Also for panthers you can kind of "choose" which color they'll be because of different locales

I have both and would recommend a panther because they will probably be more friendly and veiled chameleons have sharp claws which make it annoying to handle them for example my hand is literally ripped up from jasmines claws but my panther dosen't have claws and is more friendly and has more vibrant colors.

Its up to you both species are amazing. Panthers will be a tad harder to keep but its mostly the same. Im in uk and have had no trouble finding panther chameleons.

Also for panthers you can kind of "choose" which color they'll be because of different locales
Thank you , can i ask where you bought your panther from ? a sight like pets4homes or more of a reptile shop ?

Thank you , can i ask where you bought your panther from ? a sight like pets4homes or more of a reptile shop ?
I bought my panther from GlobalGeckos. I think they have multiple panthers available currently. I'm pretty sure you have to go there in person but you can call them up and talk to them. They're in surrey. Stay away from pets4homes because thats a chain pet shop that will give you wrong information. They don't really know how to care for them they just want money :confused: . check out there website too. its a reptile shop but all of their care for chameleons is correct and they breed there own chams they dont buy them elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom