Veiled not growing!

cicke

Hi, I have a bit of a problem/question.

My Veiled is now a bit over a year (got him in november 09, not sure how old he was back then, but very tiny.)

Now, the problem is that he wont grow! He has been the same size since like September of '10, his total length excluding tail is maybe 12-15 cm (4,7-5,9") and i read that when they become over a year old that they should reach their full length by this time.

Now, is it possible that i have a small specimen, or is there anything wrong with him?

He is healthy otherwise, he eats, poops, shed and drinks as he should, i have him in an Exo-Terra full net enclosure (flexarium) biggest size (100 Gallon, 76 x 42 x 122 cm, 30" x 16.5" x 48") so there isn't a space issue, i feed him daily with crickets + supplements.

Suggestions and thoughts are very welcome!

Also posting a picture of the little guy, if it can be of any help!

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4921/img0086oi.jpg
(click it to see, too big to actually be in the post)

not much to compare him to in the photo, but on your arm he looks normal to me. They will never really stop growing. They just slow down when they reach a certain age. Have you had the same UV bulb for as long as you had him? How big are you expecting him to get?

Yeah, same UV-bulb since he was a baby, I want him to get atleast 10-15" excluding the tail, i will try getting a better picture next to something so you can grasp his size.

Thanks for your input!

He looks normal to me. smaller than some i've seen for his age, but then again i've seen some smaller than yours at that age as well. Chameleons are like people, they're all different. It's genetics. keep doing what you're doing.

veileds grow like weeds at a certain point. in my experience with a male veiled, he was 3 months old when we got him, he wasnt till about 5 months he started his growth spurt. if you are providing and following proper husbandry, then dont worry about it. he will become a big strong healthy boy!

im not saying this is the issue, but your suppose to change out your uvb bulb every 6 months regardless of it being dead or not.

I'm think the uvb given off after 6 months isn't as strong as when they are newer.

Yeah, same UV-bulb since he was a baby, I want him to get atleast 10-15" excluding the tail, i will try getting a better picture next to something so you can grasp his size.

Thanks for your input!

oh, forgot to comment on this as well, just as jasimmons86 said. It's time for a new uvb bulb. spend the money on a new one and you may see some more of that growth you're looking for.

Ah, ok, thanks for telling me, when you say "new" do you mean like new and stronger Wattage or just a new one cuz the old one prob is worn out?

Ah, ok, thanks for telling me, when you say "new" do you mean like new and stronger Wattage or just a new one cuz the old one prob is worn out?

just a new one. the old one is definately worn out. I replace mine atleast every 6 months, sometimes less. After a year, i'd say that bulb's not doing much more than a normal light bulb would.

your chameleon looks fine and he has very beautiful coloring! I think you are worrying for nothing here!! But definitely get the bulb!!! :D

your chameleon looks fine and he has very beautiful coloring! I think you are worrying for nothing here!! But definitely get the bulb!!! :D

Aw, thanks alot man, made my day right there, i'm always thinking I hop im treating him right, etc. etc., thanks for the comfirmation :)

Rather than going by physical length, I weigh my guy every 2-4 weeks just to see how he's going, as seeing him every day, its difficult to notice growth :)

Back
Top Bottom