Veiled male appears to gag and is puffing up

Mrakwaters

Hello. I am a new Chameleon owner. I have a few month old baby veiled male. He has been healthy , happy and all has been fine until today. He has been puffing up, then what appears to be almost like he's gagging, and then sticks his tongue out for several seconds before pulling it back in. It just started about an hour ago and does this every 5 or 10 minutes . I cannot get to a vet until Monday and I'm very worried and upset. I'm looking for any insight anyone may have for me. Thank you for your time.

When my little one did that the first time, it then turned out he was just trying to shed. He didn't stick his tongue out though...but he did open his mouth real wide and puff him self up...whipped his head around. Looked very scary until he then just poof...all his skin went white and it started peeling off. Hopefully that is what is happening with yours.

Caroline

Caroline,
Thank you for the prompt response. During my pre-chameleon ownership I remember reading about behavior similar to this in the shedding process and was hoping that's the case. I think just seeing it was startling and worrisome. I've only had him a couple of weeks and have yet to see him shed. I hope this is what it is as well. Thanks again,
Lindsey

Back
Top Bottom