(veiled) lighting for custom cage?

eddiboi

I am soon upgrading EVERYTHING i have for my female veiled cham, who's is approximately 5 to 6 months old. (i never got an exact age for her, as i got her from pet smart and they couldn't even tell me her sex)
i was wrongly informed when getting her enclosure, and lighting, and am now having to upgrade all of it.
i want some feedback on what kind of lighting i should get for a custom viv. im making a 5 or 6 ft H, 2 ft D, and 3 ft W cage. im planning on getting a odyssea t5 dual aquarium light. I heard that the odyssea works just as well as the Arcadia’s and are cheaper (feedback??)
I’m planning on having a lot of foliage, should I use the 12% Arcadia bulbs or the 6% ?? Also, any recommendations on plant lights and basking bulbs?

Last edited:
I am soon upgrading EVERYTHING i have for my female veiled cham, who's is approximately 5 to 6 months old. (i never got an exact age for her, as i got her from pet smart and they couldn't even tell me her sex)
i was wrongly informed when getting her enclosure, and lighting, and am now having to upgrade all of it.
i want some feedback on what kind of lighting i should get for a custom viv. im making a 5 or 6 ft H, 2 ft D, and 3 ft W cage. im planning on getting a odyssea t5 dual aquarium light. I heard that the odyssea works just as well as the Arcadia’s and are cheaper (feedback??)
I’m planning on having a lot of foliage, should I use the 12% Arcadia bulbs or the 6% ?? Also, any recommendations on plant lights and basking bulbs?
Just make sure the odessa has the metal reflector. If it is a dual bulb you want one 6% bulb. If it is a quad with 4 then you want one 12%

Depending on price that you have found... Check this out www.lightyourreptiles.com

I couldn’t figure out if it had a reflector or not, so I’ll ditch that idea. I’m leaning towards getting this 31CE05F5-E846-447E-9AD9-861A92029AF9.jpeg
Since it comes with the bulbs.
But this is what'd I’d need to get?
(Sorry just want to make sure I have everything right, don’t want to have to repurchase everything again)
Is the 6.5k daylight bulb a plant bulb or just a regular light?

I couldn’t figure out if it had a reflector or not, so I’ll ditch that idea. I’m leaning towards getting this View attachment 237874
Since it comes with the bulbs.
But this is what'd I’d need to get?
(Sorry just want to make sure I have everything right, don’t want to have to repurchase everything again)
Is the 6.5k daylight bulb a plant bulb or just a regular light?
So yes, this comes with the bulbs. It will be perfect length for your cage and it has the 6% bulb. So this bulb is good for 1 year then you need to order a new 6%. They lose their effectiveness if you try to use them longer without having a solarmeter 6.5 to measure what your UVI output is. So we stick to the yearly rule for those without the solarmeter :) So the 6500 bulb will add brightness. The plant bulb is great however it is much dimmer and emits a purple like hue. So you may not get the brightness you are wanting with the plant bulb.
I run a quad with 1 12% uvb, 2 6500 daylight bulbs and 1 plant bulb. So I still get the brightness but my pothos get the plant light.

So yes, this comes with the bulbs. It will be perfect length for your cage and it has the 6% bulb. So this bulb is good for 1 year then you need to order a new 6%. They lose their effectiveness if you try to use them longer without having a solarmeter 6.5 to measure what your UVI output is. So we stick to the yearly rule for those without the solarmeter :) So the 6500 bulb will add brightness. The plant bulb is great however it is much dimmer and emits a purple like hue. So you may not get the brightness you are wanting with the plant bulb.
I run a quad with 1 12% uvb, 2 6500 daylight bulbs and 1 plant bulb. So I still get the brightness but my pothos get the plant light.
Awesome! Thank you. The brightness isn’t an issue for me. what type of plant bulb do you suggest ?

Awesome! Thank you. The brightness isn’t an issue for me. what type of plant bulb do you suggest ?
So hun it would be this one. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/plant-pro-tropic-pro-39-watt-ho-t5-34-long-for-36-fixtures/
You would buy this additional to the dual you are looking at. Todd will send you the extra 6500 bulb as well so that you have that as a back up bulb. You will want your basking level to be 7-8 inches below the fixture with the fixture sitting directly on the top of the cage to achieve the right UVI levels.

You should get a 12% Arcadia and for the basking bulb should be 100 watt
Actually a 12% in a dual fixture will produce much to high of uvi. They need a 6%. And the bulb wattage for basking depends entirely on their enclosure... they will not know what bulb strength until they test it in their enclosure. A 100 watt bulb can be very hot at basking of 7-8 inches down.

Back
Top Bottom