Veiled in need of help!

herpluver64

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chamy, bought from Petsmart as a fathers day gift, what a surprise. Female, she laid eggs once already. Age??? a year, maybe more.
Handling - Only handled with sticks for cage cleaning.
Feeding - Crickets & mealworms gut-loading with veggies, fruit and layer chicken crumbles. 1/2 dozen of each offered every other day in a bowl and dusted with ZooMed repti-calcium
Supplements - Reptisafe liquid drops (2-4) per 8oz to water drip, twice a week.
Watering - cage misted a couple of times a day. I usually set a cup to drip a couple of times a day and she drinks from the drips.
Fecal Description - Will check on recent droppings. No test for parasites. Hoping she's captive breed.
History - given as a fathers day gift this year and age not known.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass sides with screen top. 18 wide and deep BY 24" tall.
Lighting - ceramic heat on all the time at cage top in a corner. Incandesant on for 12 hours in opposite corner for basking, don't recall the manufacturer but bought at PetsMart as an UVB emitting bulb
Temperature - Basking spot 95f and lower cage around 75f
Humidity - Dial humidistate in cage completed by misting, drip irrigation and live pothos plant
Plants - one live pothos strung around for walking
Placement - Cage is on a stand around 32" off the floor.
Location - located in northern Ohio in the gray zone of NO sunshine.

Thought at first she was looking to lay eggs again when she was on the bottom of the tank. After a day or 2 of observation she does not appear to be doing so. She is too weak looking for that. She has trouble with her limbs and grasping branches. Does not seem to be able to climb and maintain her position. This morning (Christmas Day) I fed her 4 recently shed mealworms for easy digestion and soaked her in my hand in a bowl of water for a half hour. She is now in a hospital tank on a towel with the heat and light closer. Infra red thermometer says her back is 86f. I want to keep her monitored for temp and poop.
Since finding your site:
Sounds like MBD. - Change the light source? mercury vapor / florescent?
I've kept and breed hundreds of snakes, dozens of L.geckos, B.dragons and others. This is the first Chamy. All help is greatly appreciated. If photos or video help I can try that.

Hi, welcome to the forum, and sorry your girl isn't feeling well.
Are you sure the light bulb is a UVB bulb? Some of the packaging can be confusing.
Are you using any calcium or vitamin powder supplements? The supplement guidelines for veileds, that a lot of people here use, is calcium with no D3 every feeding, vitamin powder 2x's a month, and calcium with D3 2x's a month.
I'm guessing from what you're describing that your girl may have MBD, which can be caused by not having enough calcium or D3, or UVB lighting. Pictures would be helpful, because the legs will have a particular look when they have advanced MBD.

Here's a link to a post about MBD:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/wha...ase-mbd-looks-like-how-happens-how-fix-95071/

care sheet for veileds:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Hey Herpluver64,
Chameleons like to cool down at night , they love 50-60 degrees at night . I would turn off the ceramic heat emitter at night. MelissaB has good advice, sometimes a correct supplement can turn things around fast. read the care sheets. She should see a vet soon , no one likes to be sick on Christmas!
Good luck

Thank you both for reply. It makes for a stressful Christmas. Twinkle Toes is alert but still not walking around. She has a 3pm vet appt. today. Hope these pictures help.
Chamy1.JPG

Chamy2.JPG

Poor Twinkle Toes. She looks like she's gravid (full of eggs) to me, and the shape of her legs look like she probably has MBD, too. Let us know how her appointment goes. Good luck, and best wishes.

T.t.

Twinkle toes has passed onshe was gravide which I suspected two weeks ago when she went funny on her feeding. At that time she had six inches of substrate and didn't lay them out. So at the expense of her bones she was full of eggs and had MBD. Vet took x Rays and confirmed both issues. For 2 days I hand fed her and gave her Ca drops. I suppose in the end she was too worn down. She'll be missed.

I am very sorry! :( I know how you feel now. My girl passed away in May, she became eggbound...

So sorry

My Pablo is sick (believe dehydrated) but don't know what to do. I was ready to bury him twice but he moved. Please God let him be O.K. I am so sorry you lost your pet.

Back
Top Bottom