Veiled Hatchling Question ?

chameleonsPR

Hello when should i remove live babies from , egg box? I use fine vermiculite wich tends to stick to them if they stay to long. Can i place them in a glassaquarium if they still have the yolk sac hanging. Three have been born the secon one open the eyes at first but hasnt open them since yesterday when he was born. The one that was born today i helped him out he moves around and has not open eyes he was born today in the morning. Can they take a few days to open eyes or they are suppose to open them imidiatly.

Thanks

Guillermo

You said..."i remove live babies from , egg box? I use fine vermiculite wich tends to stick to them if they stay to long"..they can be removed once they are out of the egg completely and moving around.

You said..."Can i place them in a glassaquarium if they still have the yolk sac hanging"...if the yolk sac is still hanging it will get "glued" to the glass or stuck to a branch. You have to keep the sac moist until it falls off the chameleon. The easiest way I have found of doing this is to put the chameleon in a plastic pet pal with no branches and a small amount of water on the floor of it...just enough to allow the sac to still slide around. You need to keep this setup very clean.

You said..."Three have been born the secon one open the eyes at first but hasnt open them since yesterday when he was born. The one that was born today i helped him out he moves around and has not open eyes he was born today in the morning"...if you mean that you helped it to get out of the egg...removing them from the egg is not a good idea. They slit the end of the egg and lay with their head out looking almost dead for up to two days. They are absorbing what is left of the yolk while they are doing this. They should not be removed from the shell. If you break the cord you could cause them to bleed to death.

You said..."Can they take a few days to open eyes or they are suppose to open them imidiatly"...the eyes should be open when they have climbed out of the egg although I have seen the odd one that will assume the fetal position again after being out of the egg for a while before it really "comes to life".

Back
Top Bottom