Veiled Female Won’t Eat

JimmyChams

Hello, I have a female veiled chameleon (about 8-9 months old) and I barely can get her to eat. I own multiple Chams including Panthers and they are all just fine and eat well, except her. Ive done everything I can to try to get her to eat but nothing works. Ive offered crickets, dubia, super worms, hornworms, silkworms, etc. She probably eats 2 maybe 3 bugs a week. She acts just fine and drinks water and everything else is normal, however I’m getting more concerned as she has been like this for a few months now and I’ve been monitoring her weight and she is losing weight. She’s about 53 grams right now. And before anyone asks, yes I have proper lights, supplements, etc. I’ve raised multiple chameleons and I know hunger strikes happen but I’ve never had anything like this happen, was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if any experts have some recommendations as I have tried everything and she won’t eat.

Welcome to the forum! Have you taken her to see a chameleon experienced vet? That would be my next step if I were you since it’s been so long. Has she ever laid eggs? Does she look gravure?

I’m at work and won’t be home till late but I can post some pics Tommorow. She’s never been receptive or gravid. Her colours are always normal. Also she will eat it’s just very rare and doesn’t seem normal and she’s losing weight because of it, but I don’t think it’s an injury or anything.

She can still lay eggs even when not mated. Many female veileds do. Do you have a lay bin in her enclosure? You can make one with a small tub that’s 10x10 and at least 6 inches deep and fill it with washed plays and just damp enough to hold a tunnel. Every female should have one in their cage in case. Even if this is not her issue she should still have one.

Any chance she’s had a tongue injury or any injury to her mouth?
I’m at work and won’t be home till late but I can post some pics Tommorow. She’s never been receptive or gravid. Her colours are always normal. Also she will eat it’s just very rare and doesn’t seem normal and she’s losing weight because of it. I plan on taking her to the vet unless something from this forum helps. Also she has never laid eggs.

She can still lay eggs even when not mated. Many female veileds do. Do you have a lay bin in her enclosure? You can make one with a small tub that’s 10x10 and at least 6 inches deep and fill it with washed plays and just damp enough to hold a tunnel. Every female should have one in their cage in case. Even if this is not her issue she should still have one.
Yes she has a lay bin, also I accidentally posted that last post twice my bad. I have multiple Chams who have laid eggs, so I know the ins and outs of chameleons. I’ve just never had one refuse to eat for this long of a time.

Hi. Has she ever been tested for parasites? If not, that should be done. Maybe having an X-ray too just to make certain that she’s not having egg problems.

Hi. Has she ever been tested for parasites? If not, that should be done. Maybe having an X-ray too just to make certain that she’s not having egg problems.
She has not been tested. That and her being stressed out are the only things I can think. But I don’t how she’d get parasites and my other 8 are completely fine because they all eat the same bugs. Also she’s not near any of my chameleons and can’t see them and she’s not in a high traffic area so there’s not really a reason for her to be stressed out.

She has not been tested. That and her being stressed out are the only things I can think. But I don’t how she’d get parasites and my other 8 are completely fine because they all eat the same bugs. Also she’s not near any of my chameleons and can’t see them and she’s not in a high traffic area so there’s not really a reason for her to be stressed out.
You could have gotten her with parasites, but it was a light load no caused no symptoms or problems.

Make sure it’s a vet experienced with chams
They couldn’t find anything wrong with her , said everything was normal. I then brought them a stool sample and she does indeed have a type of pinworm/pinworm eggs. He said it’s not common except in pet store bought chameleons. Which she is only 1 of 2 that I have that I got from a pet store and not a breeder. So I got her some dewormer and that should do the trick. Very happy to finally figure out what’s wrong with her.

Pinworms are extremely common. They come from our feeders. And they are actually not very damaging to a cham so I would dig into husbandry more for this girl and see what might be causing the issue. Posting pics of her and the entire enclosure including lights on top would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom