Veiled female always hungry

I feel like this may be a stupid question and I have asked before on other platforms but I still feel I need some opinions on my female veiled chameleon. She is estimated at 7-8 months old. She laid her first clutch in April and it was a big one. 56 eggs. Since then she has been happy and healthy. I lowered her temps to 79-80 and stopped feeding her every day since I was told as a juvenile to feed them often. I now feed her 3-5 of the smallest sized dubia roaches 1/4’ gutloaded and supplemented ofc, every other day. I would like to cut her to 3x a week but the thing is, she is literally obsessed with eating. Anytime she see’s me she runs to the door searching for snacks and now whenever I need to reach in her cage she searches my hand fit food and now licks me! She had eaten every plant in her cage so to try to discourage that I give her a small organic kale salad on the days she does not eat her bugs and she loves that. She is pretty tiny but I’m still worried if I’m feeding her too much. My gut says no but now I’m wondering if I’m not feeding her enough? Advice please! I will try to post below a video of the dubias she eats. She usually eats them before I can even set her bowl down.
*I just ordered a larger dragon strand enclosure for her so ignore the bare one. She has literally eaten all her plants except for a few small ones from Josh’s frogs

Attachments

• E6B1208A-E0F2-4AF4-B711-38CB066CA4B8.jpeg
    E6B1208A-E0F2-4AF4-B711-38CB066CA4B8.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 116
  • DC31C0C7-C813-4E77-965D-C00EA58016CA.jpeg
    DC31C0C7-C813-4E77-965D-C00EA58016CA.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 115
So that is a ton of eggs... We want them to lay under 20 if possible because it is much easier for them.

I would stick with your current feeding schedule/amount and see what her next clutch is. Are you tracking her weight too?

Be cautious with giving her salads... They are insectivores so they actually should not be getting the veg. They are using this for digestion and this is why they will eat plants.

Have you ever gotten a fecal test run? Just to ensure there is not a parasite issue. I am asking because of her smaller thin size. I looked at your passed thread and she shows no signs of being hefty for everyday feeding as much as they want.

Veileds are opportunistic eaters which makes it seem as though their bellies are bottomless pits. One of mine is always looking in his feeder and sometimes even sleeps inside of it. My girls come running to theirs any time I open their enclosures and often come up to the front if I even just look at them. It makes me feel horrible...like I’m starving them. However, my boy is starting to look chunky and my girls laying is greatly reduced, so I have to stay strong to help them stay healthy.
I wouldn’t be feeding anything but bugs. Although they’ll eat their plants, it’s said that they can’t digest plant matter and it really isn’t of any benefit. Greens such as kale especially should be avoided, as they will bind to calcium in her body.
For fun little snacks that will provide some stimulation, let some bsfl pupate into flies and give her flying treats to hunt down.

Although the oxalic acid in kale isn’t as high as say spinach, it should still be avoided for regular consumption by reptiles. I can’t easily find any decent articles on it to share and am too lazy right now to search deeper.
A few years ago, there were some articles posted on here about the calcium-binding and that is blanched correctly, kale can be used.

So that is a ton of eggs... We want them to lay under 20 if possible because it is much easier for them.

I would stick with your current feeding schedule/amount and see what her next clutch is. Are you tracking her weight too?

Be cautious with giving her salads... They are insectivores so they actually should not be getting the veg. They are using this for digestion and this is why they will eat plants.

Have you ever gotten a fecal test run? Just to ensure there is not a parasite issue. I am asking because of her smaller thin size. I looked at your passed thread and she shows no signs of being hefty for everyday feeding as much as they want.
Yes, I knew she was eating the plants for digestion. I’d rather her not eat the plants not only because it is expensive to keep replacing them but I worry if they may be treated with something even if I do always try to buy pesticide free plants. Fecal test is not a bad idea. I wanted to take her in to get just for check up anyway but last time I tried the exotic vet near me was all booked but I will try again and see about a fecal test

Veileds are opportunistic eaters which makes it seem as though their bellies are bottomless pits. One of mine is always looking in his feeder and sometimes even sleeps inside of it. My girls come running to theirs any time I open their enclosures and often come up to the front if I even just look at them. It makes me feel horrible...like I’m starving them. However, my boy is starting to look chunky and my girls laying is greatly reduced, so I have to stay strong to help them stay healthy.
I wouldn’t be feeding anything but bugs. Although they’ll eat their plants, it’s said that they can’t digest plant matter and it really isn’t of any benefit. Greens such as kale especially should be avoided, as they will bind to calcium in her body.
For fun little snacks that will provide some stimulation, let some bsfl pupate into flies and give her flying treats to hunt down.
Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. That she is just a big piggy and that she is not starving or anything. She is so cute when she stares sadly in to her empty bowl but I have been trying my best to stay strong because my biggest goal is to get her clutch size down next time. Also, the kale is very small amount (one piece from a precut bag, massaged in water and torn up) and like I mentioned, it has helped in stopping her from stripping her plants but if you think I should just let her eat the plants instead I will discontinue. Yes, after she laid she started eating all the bugs I could not get her to eat before like bsfl. They keep selling out but I will keep trying to get them!

Back
Top Bottom