veiled eggs

how many people have hatched veiled. if so what was the temperature you incubated them in and how long did it take to hatch. mine are at 150days and are incubateing at the high temp at 84 degrees and drop down at night. any input will help thanks

84 seems a little high to me......

I've done 75-78ish with night temp drops and get babies usually between 7-8ish months.

the high 84 is what my friend told me to put it at and he has been sucessful at this temp. the female who laid the eggs was one of his hatchlings. i tried at first at the low temps of 75-78 and lost 32 eggs in the first 2weeks. so i put them at this temp and have had no problems

Was JMHO...... If you aren't having problems, why did you ask for input? :confused: ......

Well if 84 works for your friend, thats great, hope you have the same luck.
(Too hot, too hot, too hot, too hot..........)

BTW, loss of eggs in the first few weeks of incubation is not abnormal.

84 is on the high end of what's still safe - go much higher than that and you'll start having some problems (lower hatch rates, deformities, and high mortality). Having the drop at night will help though.

The biggest problem with incubating at the mid to upper 80's is the neonate size. Eggs incubated at a "natural" temp of mid to upper 70's (the temps of the earth at nest levels in their natural habitat), will take slightly longer to hatch (for me, about 7-8 months) than those at higher temps (6 months).

However, the babies resulting from the lower temperature incubations will be often a full inch longer, and much more robust. A breeder I know usually incubates their eggs in the mid to upper 80's, and has nearly 100% hatch rates - though her babies are never more than 2- 2.5 inches total length. My babies are all about 3", which is pretty darn long for a veiled. They're able to eat 1/8 inch crickets out of the egg, in most cases.

You can sucessfully incubate eggs at those temps, but it's generally "Safer" to do it at a lower temp. Once you start getting higher than 85, you start to have decreased hatch rates and babies dying as they slit their eggs.

Basically, the warmer they are incubated at, the sooner they'll hatch, and the sooner they hatch out, the less time they have to grow, and they'll hatch out smaller and weaker.

the reason i started hatching at that temp was they were laid in the winter time and i couldn't keep them at room temp to cold i have no heat in my house so i set the incubator at that temp and left it.

Hi ,

Congrats on the eggs! We are currently incubating our very first clutch of Veiled eggs here too. We have no central air, so trying our best to keep the incubator in a spot where the temps won't go soaring on us. We have been able to keep the temp at a steady zone between 78 & 84 with a slight drop at nights. We're crossing our fingers.....and everything else......hoping the eggs will be fine and we will have a high rate of surviving hatchlings.
I have to say the wait is KILLING me!!! We have successfully bred our Leopard Geckos and I thought waiting for them to hatch was forever......I now know the true meaning of waiting! LOL
We are lucky enough to have local friends who are experienced at this and are offering much needed help & support. Our eggs were laid April 1st, so according to the person we purchased the parents from ( a very knowledgeable pet store employee & breeder) that we can expect the eggs to hatch as soon as the end of July to sometime at the end of October.

And to ur great surprise, Pantera is double clutching!!!! She is again sporting the "I swallowed a bag full of marbles" look. She is looking healthy and we keep them both well hydrated and they eat very well and love thier hibiscus leaves & blooms.
Keep us posted on how your clutch goes and I'll return the favor!

Ivory

The determining factor is size more than age. It is normally at around 8 or 9 months though. If she is growing slower than it will take a little longer.

Jerm

Back
Top Bottom