Veiled Eggs?

Kitdragon2000

Hey guys,

So my girl has a laying bin, as well as 2 well potted plants, went changing their cage today, and i THINK i found eggs... but they are not oval like iv seen, and they are TINY!!!!! like 1/2 of a Dime??!!!???? Is that normal? I will try and get these stupid pictures up >.< hopefully later tonight. i read to leave them in for a few days if they are infertile they will start to rot, if they are fertile they will still be good?

funky veiled eggs?

Hey guys,

So my girl has a laying bin, as well as 2 well potted plants, i went to change their cage and i THINK i found eggs... but they are not oval like iv seen, and they are TINY!!!!! like 1/2 of a Dime??!!!???? Is that normal? They also are a LOT of them. Over 100! Shes only 7-8 months old.

These were not in her laying bin either, they were partioly covered in a potted plant.

i read to leave them in for a few days if they are infertile they will start to rot, if they are fertile they will still be good?

The things are soft, squishy, and have some type of liquid in them.

https://imageshack.com/i/p4uKB5jsp
https://imageshack.com/i/p4uKB5jsp

are you SURE that is not the white stuff that comes in plants ? that looks like fertilizer to me ~ did you change the dirt in the plant when you got them ? can you post a better pic , like on your finger or something ? if those are eggs- WOW - I agree - they are "funky" - lol your little girl seems ok ? what color is the liquid ? I am not real good on eggs - I am sure another member can help you out tho- did they just all show up at one time ? or could they maybe be one of a feeders eggs ? those are strange ~

Its soft and has liquid in it. Perlite is rock substance and crushes into dust....

Then it is not perlite, just looks a lot like it :) They definitely don't look like any kind of eggs I've seen, if that is what they are then it seems like something is wrong since they are irregularly shaped. They should also all be together when laid.

What color is the liquid in them? Is there anything solid inside? Are you sure they are not some kind of fertilizer pellet?

i have a exacto knife i could open one and a take a pic, as well as take a pic before i do, to show size... most of the liquid that i could see was clear, but i tried to open another and it was greyish?? not much of a smell...

are you SURE that is not the white stuff that comes in plants ? that looks like fertilizer to me ~ did you change the dirt in the plant when you got them ? can you post a better pic , like on your finger or something ? if those are eggs- WOW - I agree - they are "funky" - lol your little girl seems ok ? what color is the liquid ? I am not real good on eggs - I am sure another member can help you out tho- did they just all show up at one time ? or could they maybe be one of a feeders eggs ? those are strange ~

i did change the dirt, and the new stuff i changed them too doesn't have it that i can find... and all the fertilizer i have seen is hard... though i don't have a Ton of exp with fertilizer. have you seen one with liquid like ones?

Here is a pic of "slow release fertilizer".

Attachments

• Slow_release_fertilizer.jpg
    Slow_release_fertilizer.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 208
are they soft and squishy? i dont think iv seen any...
and i double checked my left over soil (have 2 huge bags for my plants, but ended up doing none with the drought...) and nothing in them like that. :/

i have to wait till my daughter goes to bed to do a weirdsectomy ;) or she'll be in the way, asking all types of questions i dont know, and possibly crying if she thinks its a cham egg....

i also asked in a gardening group on FB im in if slow release fertilizers can be soft and pop.... i'll hopefully get some answers in the morning.

This is a puzzle...
Can you place a penny near one, so we can get a size comparison?
Thanks!
I have seen very few eggs scattered like this but they have all been dropped from branches above.
She definitely did not lay a normal clutch unless she dug down into the soil and what we are seeing is what she dug out of her tunnel. (just a thought)

They are not eggs.

its that stuff that comes in potted plants.

Eggs, are always oval, yellowish to white colored, and oftentimes look like tiny jellybeans.

she has not laid yet.

Also if that's your female in the same picture album, which I'm guessing it is, you should get one of the more experienced members to take a look at her. I believe she could be showing some early signs of MBD - particularly in the back left leg I can see a little kink.

EVWKvh.png

I could be, and probably am, entirely wrong. I don't have a huge amount of experience with chams... only Iguanas. But I thought it was better to bring it up just in case. It's no judgement against you or anything but if there is something wrong it's best to head it off asap.

Can you post another recent photo showing the chameleon from the side so we can check the legs. I'm inclined to agree with Viv that she might have slight MBD.

Last edited:
Hey all
I havent had a chance to dissect and picture the weird things, family in hospital and finals!! Holy hell.

I know shes got mbd, shes getting better than she was, thought i mentioned in the original post sorry :/. I can link you guys to the health post i had original when they started falling.

Her knees have always been funky, and today she actually broke it!! :( i think she fell wrong, shes set up in a "icu" cage, tiny on the floor w ith plant cover but not much room to crawl. Vet said since its the knee just keep her how i am and see how she is in a couple weeks.

Im feeding her easy to catch cal. Rich foods, special feed gutload crickets, phoenix worms. A couple wax, super. :(

Yeah... lovely huh? :(

Will hopefully have time tomorrow for eggs. Found a few in the left over soil i used (more potting today), there were a fww, but they were yellow... ill post comparison pics of them too.

I have a female and she has laid 5 clutches of eggs. Typically they will all be bunched up together in a tunnel she will dig. In regards to the MBD, be sure to give her a little extra calcium when she begins producing eggs. My girl Creature lays eggs every 3 months. When I first got her, I didn't know about the amount of calcium that they use up when producing eggs, and she has suffered immensely from MBD because of my lack of knowledge. She actually broke a leg while digging in her "lay box".
With the feeders, wax worms can be on the fattening side, so watch how often she gets those. Dubia roaches are very good feeders for these guys. They provide a lot of good nutrients on their own. Also, I don't know how much you feed her, but with females, when they are over fed and the temp is warm, they can end up producing large clutches. This is really bad for them. Again, I learned this the hard way with Creature. She laid a fertile clutch of 99 eggs, I incubated them and I know have 85 babies! Most times she will show signs that she is ready to lay eggs, they might stop eating, they will become restless and most times begin wandering around on the bottom of their enclosure. This is the time to put them in their "lay box" and give her some privacy.
If you think the eggs are fertile, you can dig them up, and carefully put them in tubs filled with perlite or vermiculite. You should try and place them in there the way you found them when you dug them up. Some people mark dots on the top for reference. Reason for this is there is an air bubble in the egg, and if it gets shifted, the bubble can move and the baby will essentially suffocate. I lost a few babies because of this. They start off being about the size of a jelly bean, but can double in size while incubating. You may also notice blood vessels after several weeks if they are fertile.
If they are not fertile, then they will most likely shrivel up or go moldy soon after being transferred for incubation.
I can also say that some of the infertile eggs I have opened up typically had a yellowish goo inside, not sure if that's how it always is, or if there would be a difference if it was a fertile egg. In my fertile eggs that didn't make it, typically had a clear jelly like substance inside along with the fetus. From what I have read, if they are ready to lay, and are not put in a "laying bin" (for me its just a Rubbermaid tub with moist sand) sometimes they will resort to using potted plants if they are in the enclosure.
I hope some of this helps. I may be a little off about some of my information, it's mostly compiled from my researching and personal experience, but I believe it to be pretty accurate. I have 3 adult Veileds I've raised and I'm taking care of 85 little babies now that look healthy, so I think I'm doing something right. :) If those are eggs your cham laid, they definitely are like nothing I've seen before. Perhaps if there are over 100 like you mentioned, maybe they became disfigured because of the amount packed into to her little body, but I find it odd that she wouldn't have buried them. I know Creature is OCD when it comes to laying her eggs. She spends hours digging her tunnel, and once she lays her eggs, she spends several hours covering them. It's usually a 24 hour endeavor, but on the flip side, I've seen videos of Veileds that only dig down a few inches. Good luck with these mysterious eggs. I'll be interested in hearing what you figure out about them.

Okay guys. Finally did the dissection... here are the results... i have not been able to find if slow release fertilizer inside's look like this...

the orange balls are the only fertilizer i could find, the one w/o liquid was hard, and extremely fragile.

https://imageshack.com/a/4CWz/1

Back
Top Bottom