Veiled eggs 65 degree temp drop

72F-78F, i have been using the closet method and now its getting cold here possibly down to 65F

I don't know off the top of my head, but a drop that big is not good. Get an incubator, there really isn't a way around it in the winter unless you have great central heating or live in a desert like I do.

I've had panther eggs take that low of a drop but I moved them higher in the closet to avoid that happening all of the time. I was able to keep them between 78 and 68 through the winter without any problems. I ended up putting them in a drawer about 4 feet off the floor. The drawer is in a builtin wall unit on an interior wall so doesnt get as much flucuation. So far hatch rate has been fare. 6 of 9 in the first clutch (small clutch from eggs laid on the cage floor). Second clutch had 19 out of 23 with the 19th hatching out a month after the others. All of them are very healthy and seemed strong from right out of the egg.

It makes me nervous to think that these eggs are fluctuating around like that. It's only 10-15 degrees, but it's just risking some developmental issues, in my opinion. A small incubator is like $40 plus shipping, it's not a bad thing to invest in for the remaining months of incubation and for any other clutches you plan on having.

Back
Top Bottom