Veiled Egg Incubation Complications

Lady Luck

Hi need some advice. I live in Gauteng south Africa so my chameleons stay outside most of the year and I dont make use of any lights. I have 40 veiled eggs in incubation but recent noticed the eggs prematurely start leaking and then the egg goes mouldy. I have had success previously x 4 years in a row until now. what could the be the reason...? female getting to old?? could she not be getting enough exercises be the reason? I always make sure to feed her calcium powder without D3 before and after mating until she lays the eggs. I use incubation medium of 50% vermeculight and 50% perilight. incubation is at 27°C. I feel like a bad mother since I Started with 59 eggs now have 40 left.

Hi need some advice. I live in Gauteng south Africa so my chameleons stay outside most of the year and I dont make use of any lights. I have 40 veiled eggs in incubation but recent noticed the eggs prematurely start leaking and then the egg goes mouldy. I have had success previously x 4 years in a row until now. what could the be the reason...? female getting to old?? could she not be getting enough exercises be the reason? I always make sure to feed her calcium powder without D3 before and after mating until she lays the eggs. I use incubation medium of 50% vermeculight and 50% perilight. incubation is at 27°C. I feel like a bad mother since I Started with 59 eggs now have 40 left.

Have you tried using a small light to make sure theyre actually developing? They can go a long time and not mold or shrivel, if ever. Ive seen females lay successful clutches months before they died of old age.

she was mated with two males from two unrelated strains a couple of times. she laid the eggs 1 march. I have always used the bain marie method of incubation. to scared to touch them as they seem so fragile that when I did touch one it split and started leaking egg fluid. she lays eggs once a year as she only allows the male once a year. Ive had her for 5 years now. Ill try the candeling idea but not with all of them, and revert back as soon as I have news. could the perilight be too abrasive for the eggs, like scratching the surface?

You can candle the eggs from the top, no need to lift or turn them.

What is the Bain Marie method?
polystyrene containers with water in the bottom and a aquarium heater making sure egg containers do not touch the water. Electronic thermostat uses to keep an eye on the temp.
Is there a certain humidity level in the egg containers I should be focusing on ?

polystyrene containers with water in the bottom and a aquarium heater making sure egg containers do not touch the water. Electronic thermostat uses to keep an eye on the temp.
Is there a certain humidity level in the egg containers I should be focusing on ?
Im sure there is but ive never focused on one, ive always just accepted relative humidity.

Can you post a recent photo of the eggs please?

If the humidity is too high the eggs take on too much moisture and swell and burst as a rule. However I can't tell you at what point the humidity becomes too high. I never measured it when I incubated veiled eggs. I don't do them in the types of incubators everyone else uses. I have always used my own homemade setup.

https://www.madcham.de/en/inkubation-der-eier/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom