Veiled eating moss?

TyMonster

So I have a jouvie male veiled and I keep a dish of wet moss at the bottom of his terrarium to catch water from the dripper and help retain humidity. I've noticed moss in his poo and have actually see him eating it! I patted it down hoping if it wasn't as fluffy he wouldn't be able to bite it as easily but he still shows a strange interest in it.. So I covered it up with damp paper towel but I was wondering how bad this is for him. Is there a chance of impaction? Should I remove the moss, if so what's a better alternative for catching water and holding humidity? Also he has been chomping on his jade plant which is hilarious because there are bite marks off the tips of many of the leaves..adds character but is it bad for him? Thanks everybody !

Hey TyMonster,
In the wild as well as in captivity, it is normal observation for veiled to add some vegetative in their diet. So not to worry.:D

Hey TyMonster,
In the wild as well as in captivity, it is normal observation for veiled to add some vegetative in their diet. So not to worry.:D

Yea I know they eat some leaves in the wild but it's just that the moss was getting passed without being digested and looks like if he ate enough it may clog him up. And was hoping jade was as non toxic as I assumed. Thanks so much for the input though !

May I know where you are located and the daily humidity? If you are afraid of compactum, remove the moss. Instead, try to mist the cage more frequently.

May I know where you are located and the daily humidity? If you are afraid of compactum, remove the moss. Instead, try to mist the cage more frequently.

Sask Canada, not very humid but I do mist the cage 4+ times a day and have a dripper set up. He sheds in less than 24 hours and drinks from his drip leave frequently

I lived in Buffalo, NY for 8 years. I kept 4 generations of Veiled Chameleon with no issue by misting more frequently.

Back
Top Bottom