Veiled digging holes

Zeus34

Okay so yesterday i came home and found my female veiled digging in her cage to lay her eggs. She only has about 7 inches of digging space. I checked on her a little later and saw that she stopped digging and went to the top on the cage. I moved into my closet with a big bucket and dirt from outside and put her in there, but she just kept on moving around and not doing anything so i moved her back and added a little more dirt to her enclosure. Should i keep her in her cage and let her dig in there? Or should i keep her in the bucket for the whole day?

I do not have females but what I have read and learned they need about 12 inches of digging material(which can hold a tunnel like 12 X 12) most people use moist play sand or a mixture of sand and soil. Also, you cannot disturb her or she will abandon the process so maybe that is the problem. If you have room for the laying bin in her cage, put it in there and then cover it with a blanket for privacy. I would leave the bucket in the cage with a stick over it so she can climb in and out if she wants to.

Removing an egg laying chameleon from her cage can disturb the process sometimes. (sometimes)I always prefere to put a bucket inside the cage with atleast 12" of digging space like Carol shared. I use huge buckets with a live plant, but that is just me. Then I let her get use to the bucket and give her privacy. Don't mess with her too much. I think you will be fine. Try to put the egg laying bin in a bit earlier on the next go around. Search the forum for egg laying bin someone posted a great video!

I watched the video and i got another bucket which is big enough and put it in another cage with a stick and covered the sides. How long do yall think it can take her to lay them?

I understood that some veiled's will not lay their eggs if they can see that some other living being has seen them digging the hole for the eggs.

At least my veiled wouldn't do so, so what I did was I put a huge towel to cover it's cage, and I put a webcam on the top of it's cage to keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom