veiled chameleon's reaction to me

alil

Hello, I have owned my veiled for about a month now and I just have a few questions. To get it out of the way I have the correct lighting and heat. The first is more about the veiled's reaction to me. I know when I bought it that it was a look only pet. Every time I approach its cage it goes into hiding. Its still very young. Will it eventually start to move less as it gets bigger. Its a pain to show people the veiled but it is hiding in the bushes. Is it normal for it to eat only when im not near the cage. I was watching it from my computer desk and I seen it eat, so I know its eating something. Is there any way to let it adapt to me to the point it wont run away until I put my hand in its cage. BTW my goal is to not be able to handle it by picking it up, just so it seems less scared of me.

Last edited:
I have a young veiled as well, he is only about three months old.
But I get the same reaction everytime. One thing that many people
have suggested was hand feeding. So every couple of days I give
him a little treat for example a waxworm or hornworm.
Waxworms are very fatty and only to be used sparingly.

It usually takes a while for him to not be so afraid, patience is key.
Mine's still afraid and hides when I approach the enclosure but if I
hold real still he can't resist the wiggly worm and he'll sneak up
grab it and off he goes.

Some veileds will only tolerate you by not hissing or puffing up when
you get too close. However there are some who willingly climb out
onto your arm. It all depends on the chameleons personality.

With time they will start to associate you with good things like food
and free range. He'll start to enjoy your presence and presents. ;)

I kind of figured it would be one of those over time things. I have handled it twice since I have owned it and it was due to it running out of new places. Once was to get it out of the box I brought it home in. The box lid was left open while I was doing last min setup on its first cage. He climbed on top of the box and ran out of places to go and it grabbed on to my finger while I put it in the new cage. Then the 2nd time was putting it into its final cage. I had the top taken off the old cage it found its way to the top of the cage and I put my finger to it and he grabbed on and was put in his new cage. I have read some things about leaving the cage door open while you are home. Does that help anything.

I'm honestly not too sure if it does or not yet. I would imagine it
helps over time so I leave the door open while i'm in my room
working on the computer. That way he can see me and I can see
him clearly.
That way he will know that I just go about my business and won't
disturb him or harm him.
Hopefully with time he will no longer perceive me as a
threat, and the same goes for your little guy. Just make sure you
don't accidently leave the door open and leave the room for too
long, or you might just find yourself on a scavenger hunt.

All of this sounds very familiar to me as i have had my Male Veiled since April and he is probably close to 7 months ole. He usually freezes in place or runs and hides. Sometimes he will stay in one place and try to roll around the bramch he is on to hide. He will however eat a worm off of the screen if i place it there or from the tongs if I hold still. Every once in a while it seems that he is even OK with my presence and just sits there, but he always changes color when i am around.

My plan is to keep hand feeding, not trying to handle and maybe even let him come out and explore (it will be tricky putting him back if that happens).

I did handle him one timer recently but he turned pale white and that was probably not a good move on my part.

Veileds are nasty haha. Not all of them but most of them. Just what comes with owning a chameleon. Mine is about 4 years old at this point and he is my biggest jerk. I'll put a superworm on the side of the cage for him to eat and he will literally come forward and attempt to bite my finger. I almost got bit the other day. :D Without any provoking haha. When he was little he would run and hide; as he gets older he seems to hold his ground. He will not feed unless I am out of sight. He's a chameleon; his main goal is to eat, poop, remain hidden and one day hopefully breed. None of which includes being friendly haha. Accept him for who he is; like I said, my veiled is a jerk and I leave him alone because that's what he wants. My panther will feed from my hand, but if I get too close he starts puffing up. My female jackson doesn't seem to care in the slightest, but I still don't bother her. He is a chameleon, a solitary lifestyle is the norm for these animals unless they are breeding. Get used to it, cause it's probably not gonna change. Occasionally you get one that tolerates handling and attention, but usually that's not the case. Mine gets pissed even if I look him in the eye haha. Like I said, it's just what comes with owning a chameleon.

My female veiled is about 4 months and she has her attitude most times lol I don't handle her but she's still new, had her a week. She hates being misted and runs at the sight of the bottle lol I just let her be I leave her cage open when im able to and she sits in a spot where she can see and I can see her. She doesn't hide from me but if I get to close when cleaning shell politely move up in her or puff up hiss and maybe do that little lunge move...it is what it is :)

I've had my veiled for 5months now. hes close to a year and he still doesn't like me. He's always looking at me looking at him which he hates. He even tried to bite me once but every cameleon will be more active without your presence . My Jackson would only eat and move when he thought I wasn't there. Your veiled is still young. Give him time to get use to you. Try to cup feed him this is how me and my veiled became cool. Now whenever he sees me shaking a bag or with a cup he comes running.

LOL on the lunge move

My female veiled is about 4 months and she has her attitude most times lol I don't handle her but she's still new, had her a week. She hates being misted and runs at the sight of the bottle lol I just let her be I leave her cage open when im able to and she sits in a spot where she can see and I can see her. She doesn't hide from me but if I get to close when cleaning shell politely move up in her or puff up hiss and maybe do that little lunge move...it is what it is :)

LOL, that lunge move scares me every time. My hand I ricochets of the branches and vines trying to get my hand out of the way, dropped the worm and everything!

LOL, that lunge move scares me every time. My hand I ricochets of the branches and vines trying to get my hand out of the way, dropped the worm and everything!

HAHAHA glad its not just me. lol and i know its not got to hurt..at least not compared to all the other stuff i been bitten by lol but it still makes me jump

I think if you really want to get ur chameleon to tolerate u is to put in the time when hes young. My veiled fortunately is the nices chameleon ive ever owned i handle him almost everyday. As soos as he sees me just waits for me to open the cage nd automatically comes out to my hand. He also puts on shows during bbqs here at my house pretty much ne one can hold him nd will eat a mealworms off everybodys hand. Maybe im just lucky nd got a really nice chameleon or it was that i spent alot of time with him when he was young. He didnt like me very much for about 3 or 4 months but after handling him and almost always hand feeding him i guess just realized i wasnt a threat to him just someone that woukd come with food everyday lol.

I think if you really want to get ur chameleon to tolerate u is to put in the time when hes young. My veiled fortunately is the nices chameleon ive ever owned i handle him almost everyday. As soos as he sees me just waits for me to open the cage nd automatically comes out to my hand. He also puts on shows during bbqs here at my house pretty much ne one can hold him nd will eat a mealworms off everybodys hand. Maybe im just lucky nd got a really nice chameleon or it was that i spent alot of time with him when he was young. He didnt like me very much for about 3 or 4 months but after handling him and almost always hand feeding him i guess just realized i wasnt a threat to him just someone that would come with food everyday lol.
you and me both. i was reading all the posts before yours thinking i was one of the lucky ones. every cham has their grumpy days but for the most part he likes me and will too eat out of anyones hand. ive been working with him for a few weeks now and he is starting to walk onto my hand without coaxing him with a cricket or superworm. its funny how small stuff like that feels so rewarding.

I guess I got lucky with mine! I have a female that is about 4-5months old and I've had her for a month. She gets hand fed without issue and is recpetive to handling. She puffs up at some of my friends that want to see her but never lunging or biting. I'm hoping she stays this way throughout her life because I do enjoy holding her and spending time with her in such a direct manner. Every animal has their own personality so again guess I got super lucky :)

mine hand feeds i can get in the cage and move stuff around and for the most part...shes getting much better though we were chillin outside sunday. i couldnt get her on my hand to take her out of her cage but i have a short 18 inch wood plant post ans she willingly crawls on that and lets me take her out..i dodnt get her as a baby so itll take some time...the male...i think hes a lost cause lol he like to bite and shake..

For my panther cham who is still very young (approximately 4-5 months) I hand fed him a week after owning him. I have only had him for about two months now. Only recently have I asked him to come out onto my other hand while I hold a worm or cricket far enough away to make him use my arm as another 'branch'. I've gained a lot of success with this so far. My little guy Zander even climbs out sometimes. He does panic of course when there's no hand there to grab but once I offer, he freezes and then slowly climbs on.

He is still nervous but your key is being slow and patient. If your cham isn't biting like mine isn't, then it's a good chance you might get some good out of being slow and patient - that's the name of the game with chams, isn't it?

My veiled on the other hand loves coming out. when I move across the room he clings to the door and gets frustrated if I don't take him out. And he was returned 4 times for biting! He's the sweetest thing in my house! I guess I have the oddballs to both chameleons don't I? XD

mine hand feeds i can get in the cage and move stuff around and for the most part...shes getting much better though we were chillin outside sunday. i couldnt get her on my hand to take her out of her cage but i have a short 18 inch wood plant post ans she willingly crawls on that and lets me take her out..i dodnt get her as a baby so itll take some time...the male...i think hes a lost cause lol he like to bite and shake..

Juice, once you get him out on the branch how do you keep him on the branch and not take off and get into a tree or something?

Back
Top Bottom