Veiled Chameleons eyes closed

Krishoo

Hi! We just got our little guy Sunday. He’s been so fun and energetic and so so sweet! Just today I noticed his eyes were closed and he won’t open them. He walks around and is still very coherent but walks around like he can’t see, because obviously he can’t! He has fallen off his branches trying to reach for something! It’s so scary and I don’t know what’s going on. I tried to hand feed him a little bit ago, he wasn’t interested. But I did watch him drink his misted water a couple of hours ago. Just a few minutes ago I was holding him and he rubbed his eye on my thumb like it was itching. I have a video but it won’t download. Please help!

Attachments

• 6F283015-4920-4E66-86C3-9F74045C394E.jpeg
    6F283015-4920-4E66-86C3-9F74045C394E.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 117
  • E1F867DC-29B4-4EC8-A4FD-8FFA2959B43E.jpeg
    E1F867DC-29B4-4EC8-A4FD-8FFA2959B43E.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 133
  • D4CF97E7-0703-4FE1-B6C7-7411D3083E92.jpeg
    D4CF97E7-0703-4FE1-B6C7-7411D3083E92.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 0FA77577-4399-462A-BFD8-85117BF8724B.jpeg
    0FA77577-4399-462A-BFD8-85117BF8724B.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 109
Hi! Sorry you are experiencing some issues with the new guy. You came to the right place for help, but to better understand whats going on please fill all of this questionnaire to help us understand whats going on.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

What UVB light are you using? Please be specific....long tube, spiral, brand, etc. What basking light are you using?

He is a Veiled Cham only about 3 months old. We have only had him 3 days but has been handled quiet a bit, by my 6 year old mostly. We put 3-5 crickets in his cage a day but I haven't seen him eat yet. We give the crickets Flukers (orange cubes). We mist him and all of the leaves/contents in his cage 2x daily. I haven't seen any fecal droppings yet. I just spoke with my son and he told me the Chameleon fell on the steps.
The cage is all screen, its about 2' tall by 18" wide and deep. His basking area stays around 72, he likes to get right on the top as close to the lamp as possible but I move him back down to the branch that is about 4 inches below the top of the cage. No live plants, I am not sure about humidity level, I put moss at the bottom to help contain some humidity. He is in a bedroom, the fan is usually on low. We turn off the lamps at night. We live in North Carolina

What UVB light are you using? Please be specific....long tube, spiral, brand, etc. What basking light are you using?

thank you!

Attachments

• AC829F6E-D881-4F5C-A29E-B2A72A39E3BF.jpeg
    AC829F6E-D881-4F5C-A29E-B2A72A39E3BF.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 74365294-6329-49A7-884A-D13463DBB2EE.jpeg
    74365294-6329-49A7-884A-D13463DBB2EE.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 79
you said..."He is a Veiled Cham only about 3 months old. We have only had him 3 days but has been handled quiet a bit, by my 6 year old mostly."... is he being supervised when your son is handling him. He could hurt him unintentionally with it being so small?

You said..."We put 3-5 crickets in his cage a day but I haven't seen him eat yet"...at that age he should be eating more than that if the crickets are the right size. He can eat as much as he wants in a couple of minutes each time you feed him. Is it a male for sure? Is there a tarsal spur on his heel?

You said..."We give the crickets Flukers (orange cubes)"... these aren't of much use IMHO. I feed/gutload the crickets with a wide assortment of greens like dandelion greens, mustard greens, kale, escarole, collards... veggies such as squash, zucchini, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, carrot, etc and a bit of fruit like berries, melon, apples, pears, etc.

You said..."I just spoke with my son and he told me the Chameleon fell on the steps".. he may be injured and that's why he's shutting his eyes. You should have him checked out by a good exotics vet.

The cage is all screen, its about 2' tall by 18" wide and deep.

You said..."His basking area stays around 72, he likes to get right on the top as close to the lamp as possible but I move him back down to the branch that is about 4 inches below the top of the cage"...he's too cold. The basking area should be in the low 80's F where he sits.

You said..."No live plants, I am not sure about humidity level, I put moss at the bottom to help contain some humidity. He is in a bedroom, the fan is usually on low. We turn off the lamps at night. We live in North Carolina"....veiled chameleons will munch on plants when they are a bit older than yours so it would be best to have live ones well washed on both sides of the leaves so they won't eat fake ones and become impacted. I would be careful of the moss..bare floor would be best for the time being.
[/QUOTE]

We use what came with the cage.
There are a lot of things wrong with the cage and your husbandry. This cham needs a higher temp basking spot, around 80-85... I can see you bought the reptibreeze kit, but it is absolute trash, and any cham owner will tell you that. Your chameleon needs a lot more hiding places. Add an umbrella tree, or ficus tree. They are about $15 at walmart, and they will give the cham some places to hide. This will dramatically reduce stress. Also, the lighting. This is the most urgent problem with this cage. He needs a linear UVB bulb to process calcium, or he will get metabolic bone disease, and it is not fun at all. The bones get deformed, and it is incurable. It will cause a slow death for your chameleon by slowly crippling him. I added a picture below. notice how the limbs are curved because of the bone deformities. The back legs can't support the weight of the chameleon. Also it is critical to dust your chams crickets with calcium WITHOUT D3. as for uvb, I recommend a Reptisun linear UVB bulb, or an arcadia 6% linear UVB bulb. As for the basking spot, that isn't too bad, but it would be better if you got a intense basking spot bulb, 50 watt. make sure he is not too hot by measuring the temp of the basking spot with a laser gun. They are about $20 on amazon. Lastly, make sure your son dosen't hurt the chameleon. 6 year olds are VERY careless. Also, chams do NOT like being handled. If this one makes it to adulthood, you it will hiss and maybe even bite when you try to grab it. Male veiled chameleons are notorious for this. Chameleons are also advanced animals. Only advanced reptile owners should keep them, and if you are not, PLEASE do your research, because it doesn't look like you did.

PLEASE MESSAGE ME IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

Attachments

• METABOLICBONEDISEASE.jpg
    METABOLICBONEDISEASE.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom