Veiled Chameleon

krnggangpe94

I am considering getting a veiled chameleon. I have studied up on them, have the money to support one, and have the time to raise one healthy. I just need to know the cons and pros of having one. Also, how should I set up the basking area if Id want to use the Reptarium by Apogee? It doesnt seem to have anywhere that I can clamp a light on.
BTW: what is easier? A gecko or a cham?

Last edited:
First of all...most normally kept geckos are easier than a chameleon.

Pros of having a chameleon:
They are beautiful and interesting creatures.

Cons:
They are a lot of work compared to a leopard gecko.
They have more health issues arise than most other lizards that I have kept over the years. I think I've had 3 other lizards to the vets for every 30 chameleons.
They are mostly a "look don't touch" pet.
You have to look after insects.
If you go away for more than a couple of days, you need someone to look after it.

Kinda lop-sided, eh??

Hopefully other people will chime in here!

Once you have all of the equipment in place and running properly (lighting, heat, humidity, caging, food, water) time is the HUGE factor. I have 3 chameleons that need care 3 times a day. Not to mention the care that crickets and my small silkworm farm take up. It has really beome a family affair here with daily care for them. Then stop and think who will care for them properly if you go on vacation. I can't just drop my huge cages with all the equipment off at a friends for the week. All that said, they are fascinating and rewarding animals to own. I enjoy watching them explore and hunt. My male veiled has no idea that he is a chameleon and begs to be taken out to his "outside" tree (on the screened porch). My female veiled will undoubtedly grow to rip off a chunk of my hand. They have vastly different personalities.
I currently use 2 Reptariums. I like them for the fact they maintain humidity and are easy to clean. I have my clamp lamps clipped to pole lights that stand next to the cages and one clamp lamp sits on top of the mesh with no issues. Good luck with your decision. :)

Hi krnggangpe94, well a few weeks ago I was in the same spot as you are in and couldn't decide what to buy. But I just recently moved to the USA from Istanbul and I haven't made too many friends yet and my girl friend just left me:( so i decided to get the ones that need more attention, and bought 2 veiled chameleons about a month ago now. Without question I enjoy my new littles guys more than I would have enjoyed a Gecko. Chameleons not only take a lot of time and work to maintain but they are fun as well. I find myself doing extra work just cuz i enjoy it. I can watch these guys for hours they are amazing. But the biggest UP side to this is that just 2 days ago I met a woman in my complex and as soon as she heard Chameleon she was like " oh can i please come see it " I am not to sure if i would have gotten the same response if it had been a gecko:D Where I am living now Geckos are pretty common pets but chameleons are totally exotic and cool! But hey that's just me talking I am sure there are people who just love their geckos and have a different opinion. Good Luck with your chose you really can't go wrong either way!

Hey,

I recently purchased my second chameleon. My first one died a couple years ago and I decided to wait until I was prepared to care for another one.

As you've already heard, they are a bit of a pain in the ass to maintain. They require a lot of your time. However, if you make investments in some hardware like a mister, it'll make life a lot easier for you.

The other problem is their temperment. My last one was vicious when it got older. My new guy is friendly so far. I guess its true what they say about their personalities, each one is different. For example, I was never able to hand feed my first cham (and I had it since it was a baby). However, after only a week of owning him, my new little guy is already hand feeding and not minding my presence in his cage.

Despite the disadvantages, I couldnt resist buying another one. They're just that cool. If your lucky enough to get one that doesnt have a bad temper, they're that much better since you can take them out. Many ppl with tell you not to handle your cham too much. I work with my cham about 10 mins each day to help him get use to humans, and Im already getting great results. Just dont force him to do anything. If he doesnt wanna come out, then just leave him in there. Eventually he'll learn to trust you

I too, had a first cham. My friend brought it to me because he couldn't keep up. I didn't know a thing about chameleons, so she impacted and died on my birthday.. I was so heart broken, I studied about them for a full year. Then I finally got one for my birthday present this last year. It's been 7 months of "the chameleon comes first" in my life. But you know what? He's so worth it. He has grown from 3 inches long to 13 inches and is nearly 8 months old. I have to be ever so patient as his little personality developes within a routine that we do. He is hissy and lounges sometimes, but I respect his natural disposition and try to move more slowly around him. He bit me, once, two times, but it didn't hurt. I just didn't let him know it was nothing to me, by not jumping or reacting negatively. Recently he dived at my arm like he was going to bite, but he just bumped it with his open face. I think he's basically a good guy and he's learning. But then again, so am I. If you understand that he only thinks you are big and there to either crush or eat him, you can understand why he makes the big face at you, hisses or whatever. Just keep constant with key words you use all the time when doing certain routines. They do learn. They are smarter than most people think. I've found that if he knows what I'm going to do next, he is more relaxed. If you do get a veiled cham....and I hope you do... take good care and enjoy the new member of your family. :D

Hey,
The other problem is their temperment. My last one was vicious when it got older. My new guy is friendly so far. I guess its true what they say about their personalities, each one is different. For example, I was never able to hand feed my first cham (and I had it since it was a baby). However, after only a week of owning him, my new little guy is already hand feeding and not minding my presence in his cage.

Despite the disadvantages, I couldnt resist buying another one. They're just that cool. If your lucky enough to get one that doesnt have a bad temper, they're that much better since you can take them out. Many ppl with tell you not to handle your cham too much. I work with my cham about 10 mins each day to help him get use to humans, and Im already getting great results. Just dont force him to do anything. If he doesnt wanna come out, then just leave him in there. Eventually he'll learn to trust you

With every chameleon I have every had, they seemed pretty docile as babies and got more wary and "vicious" as they got older. My veileds especially. My panthers put on more of a display, but they never actually try to bite me, just hiss and lunge. My veileds, if given the opportunity, will bite everytime. To me, an agressive chameleon is usually a healthy chameleon. They don't like to be messed with and will let you know!

Back
Top Bottom