Veiled Chameleon

wst0209a

I have two six week old vieled chameleons and I was wondering about how many 1/2 inch crickets they should be eating a day. Should I feed them anything else right now besides crikets? THank you

I have two six week old vieled chameleons and I was wondering about how many 1/2 inch crickets they should be eating a day. Should I feed them anything else right now besides crikets? THank you

1/2 inch? How big are your 6 week old veileds? That sounds a bit large for the age. Measure the space from eye to eye.. are your crickets longer than that space? If so, you shouldn't be feeding them that size.

Heika

Zero. As mentioned that's way too big for a 6 week old veiled. You should be offering 1/8" or a tad larger sized crickets at that age. I personally would feed as many as they wanted as long as it wasnt an insane amount. You can offer fruit flies at that age as well.

-roo

1/2 inch? How big are your 6 week old veileds? That sounds a bit large for the age. Measure the space from eye to eye.. are your crickets longer than that space? If so, you shouldn't be feeding them that size.

Heika

On the box in said 1000 1/2's. but they don't really look like a 1/2 inch. The chameleons are about 5 to 6 inches from nose to the tip of the tail. Is that about the right size they should be? The crickets are also the size of the space between the eyes, so they are the right size.

Last edited:
Take Heika's advice and look at the cricket, if its longer then width of the chams mouth then they are too big.

-roo

EVERYONE has different opinions on how much to feed so I hesitate giving advice on this but if it were me I would feed as much as they want to eat at that age (as long as there is no regurgitation and/or cant move b/c they ate too much). With a lot of food can come a faster growth rate and that can cause some problems if you aren’t gutloading the crickets and supplementing properly. Supplementing, another tricky topic and I am going to stay away from for now, but for cricket gutloading I would check out cricketfood.com.

-roo

I agree. We all have diff. opinions but I also feed asmuch as he want to eat. Blender is 7 weeks old (Vield. pics in gallery) and he is 5 inches long from head to tail and he eats 13-17 crickets aday. he eats 1/8'' size crickets so if your feeding 1/2 try to feed him 10 at least u know or as much as he takes with out hurting himself. BUT LIKE I SAID THATS JUST MY OPINION BASED ON WHAT MY CHAM. EATS.

hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom