Veiled Chameleon!

zarikelly19

Hi! Recently, my chameleon won’t eat his crickets? well, I don’t particularly know if he could be a boy, but that’s what the pet store said. How can I tell if my chameleon is a girl or boy? Can someone also give me suggestions for nourishment? There's also one other issue my chameleon has an issue with stuck shed in his nose, what can I do to prevent this?

Ok so males will have spurs on the back feet. Post some pictures and we can help you.
8519BD9C-C81F-4DD9-84D8-1BB78C2E6DC4.jpeg

Also does he/she look underweight? Sadly I have no clue of age but the pet store feed her wax worms and small crickets.

Attachments

• 44E20D8C-CC1E-4834-A4AF-961669E06FC5.jpeg
    44E20D8C-CC1E-4834-A4AF-961669E06FC5.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 9B61090A-FFF6-4B20-92EF-4D5A1F1A67FF.jpeg
    9B61090A-FFF6-4B20-92EF-4D5A1F1A67FF.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 53
  • AD0F67EE-144B-42ED-B021-63EDA2D31355.jpeg
    AD0F67EE-144B-42ED-B021-63EDA2D31355.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 60
  • E810FA59-FC93-47A5-9F95-A61278818693.jpeg
    E810FA59-FC93-47A5-9F95-A61278818693.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 61
View attachment 312152

Also does he/she look underweight? Sadly I have no clue of age but the pet store feed her wax worms and small crickets.
This is a baby boy.🙂 I suggest filling this out so we can make sure your husbandry is perfect, as pet stores tend to give you incorrect information.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

This is a baby boy.🙂 I suggest filling this out so we can make sure your husbandry is perfect, as pet stores tend to give you incorrect information.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
From what the pet store told me he is a veiled chameleon, male, and they didn’t tell me the age. I’ve been handling him once or twice a week depending on his mood. He’s been alright with me handling him and he loves being in the sunlight from my window. I’ve had him for about two months and he hasn’t grown much so I’m pretty sure i’m doing something wrong.

I’m feeding my chameleon crickets which I think he’s getting bored of I tried wax worms and he just won’t eat them. I looked up feeders that are safe for chameleons and I got dubia roaches can I feed them? Is there any other feeders I can feed? For gutloding i’ve been feeding the crickets cricket food from the pet store, the employees said it’s very high protein for them is that right? I’ve also been adding carrots, mango, and raspberries to it.

I use calcium without d3 every day, how much calcium should I be giving him? I also give him multivitamins twice a month and calcium I don’t give calcium with d3 because they said I don’t have to because I have a uvb. For the water i’m misting four plus times a day and i have a dropper that drips off the vines. I’ve seen him drinking before but he usually gives me a look whenever I’m looking for too long haha.

From his droppings they’re the normal color and there is white? Is that the pee I feel like I freak out over it but I can’t tell. I’ve never tested my chameleon for parasites is that something I should do? If i’m being totally honest I’m very paranoid so I may take him if you suggest. Nothing bad has happened to him except he got freaked out because a cricked climbed on him. I took it off and felt bad the whole day so that may be why he isn’t eating them.

I have a screen enclosure 4x2x2 I believe. I use a t5 uvb light and reptile basking spot lamp for the heat lamp. I leave the uvb light on for 12 hours then turn it off at night time. I don’t turn off the heat lamp but am i supposed to? My switch broke on the lamp so i’ll buy a new one if I should. My temp in the hot spot is 80-90 usually and my cold side is around 75. I have never checked overnight temp since i had the heat lamp on. I have a temp gun I use to measure the heat.

My humidity is around 75-80, I spray all the vines and branches, have my dripping system on, I also keep a water bin at the bottom for humidity. I use a thermometer humidity gauge from petsmart. I’m not using live plants currently but i’m going shopping tomorrow so can I have chameleon safe plants?

My cage is in my room not many people go in my room. I’m usually in the living room, kitchen, or out of the house so it’s not very crowded. It’s on a stand which isn’t that high but higher then my bed frame. It isnt near any fans at all. I’m located in Pennsylvania. Let me know if there’s any other information I should provide.

From what the pet store told me he is a veiled chameleon, male, and they didn’t tell me the age. I’ve been handling him once or twice a week depending on his mood. He’s been alright with me handling him and he loves being in the sunlight from my window. I’ve had him for about two months and he hasn’t grown much so I’m pretty sure i’m doing something wrong.

I’m feeding my chameleon crickets which I think he’s getting bored of I tried wax worms and he just won’t eat them. I looked up feeders that are safe for chameleons and I got dubia roaches can I feed them? Is there any other feeders I can feed? For gutloding i’ve been feeding the crickets cricket food from the pet store, the employees said it’s very high protein for them is that right? I’ve also been adding carrots, mango, and raspberries to it.

I use calcium without d3 every day, how much calcium should I be giving him? I also give him multivitamins twice a month and calcium I don’t give calcium with d3 because they said I don’t have to because I have a uvb. For the water i’m misting four plus times a day and i have a dropper that drips off the vines. I’ve seen him drinking before but he usually gives me a look whenever I’m looking for too long haha.

From his droppings they’re the normal color and there is white? Is that the pee I feel like I freak out over it but I can’t tell. I’ve never tested my chameleon for parasites is that something I should do? If i’m being totally honest I’m very paranoid so I may take him if you suggest. Nothing bad has happened to him except he got freaked out because a cricked climbed on him. I took it off and felt bad the whole day so that may be why he isn’t eating them.

I have a screen enclosure 4x2x2 I believe. I use a t5 uvb light and reptile basking spot lamp for the heat lamp. I leave the uvb light on for 12 hours then turn it off at night time. I don’t turn off the heat lamp but am i supposed to? My switch broke on the lamp so i’ll buy a new one if I should. My temp in the hot spot is 80-90 usually and my cold side is around 75. I have never checked overnight temp since i had the heat lamp on. I have a temp gun I use to measure the heat.

My humidity is around 75-80, I spray all the vines and branches, have my dripping system on, I also keep a water bin at the bottom for humidity. I use a thermometer humidity gauge from petsmart. I’m not using live plants currently but i’m going shopping tomorrow so can I have chameleon safe plants?

My cage is in my room not many people go in my room. I’m usually in the living room, kitchen, or out of the house so it’s not very crowded. It’s on a stand which isn’t that high but higher then my bed frame. It isnt near any fans at all. I’m located in Pennsylvania. Let me know if there’s any other information I should provide.
Some pointers in bold
From what the pet store told me he is a veiled chameleon, male, and they didn’t tell me the age. I’ve been handling him once or twice a week depending on his mood. He’s been alright with me handling him and he loves being in the sunlight from my window. I’ve had him for about two months and he hasn’t grown much so I’m pretty sure i’m doing something wrong. So I’ll link a good food graphic. Can we see pics of full cage and his light set up. Just to let you know uvb doesn’t penetrate windows. Handeling is pretty good since his young you may want to do it a lil less.

I’m feeding my chameleon crickets which I think he’s getting bored of I tried wax worms and he just won’t eat them. I looked up feeders that are safe for chameleons and I got dubia roaches can I feed them? Is there any other feeders I can feed? For gutloding i’ve been feeding the crickets cricket food from the pet store, the employees said it’s very high protein for them is that right? I’ve also been adding carrots, mango, and raspberries to it. Are you adding those fruits and vegetables to his bowl if so don’t bc they are insectivores not omnivores. I’ll add a food and gutload graphic. Gut loading is feeding your insect or feeders so your chameleon can get max nutrients. You can feed as many feeder as you want from the graphic below

I use calcium without d3 every day, how much calcium should I be giving him? I also give him multivitamins twice a month and calcium I don’t give calcium with d3 because they said I don’t have to because I have a uvb. For the water i’m misting four plus times a day and i have a dropper that drips off the vines. I’ve seen him drinking before but he usually gives me a look whenever I’m looking for too long haha. phosphorus free calcium powder without D3, which would be used at every feeding. Then you’ll need a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, each to be used one feeding every other week (alternating them weekly).
This is how I mist but it depends where you live so you can get correct heat and humidity I m 3 min after lights turn on 3 mins 30 mins before lights turn off and 1 min In mid night and 1 min mid day. If your chameleons fecals are looking dehydrated (orange unrated) then you can have a dripper I do it as an extra precaution. For the supplements you have to have them even if you have uvb. What uvb are you using and what heat lamp and bulb I’ll add some links to great uvb and heat lamps in a sec.

Here is some great ones for supplements https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3RR6UP5IWF1T&dchild=1&keywords=repti+calcium+without+d3&qid=1626198929&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=repti+,pets,190&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-8-Ounce/dp/B002GC4B6O/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2Y7FMA1RPNXI&dchild=1&keywords=reptivite+with+d3&qid=1626198885&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Reptivite,pets,184&sr=1-1

From his droppings they’re the normal color and there is white? Is that the pee I feel like I freak out over it but I can’t tell. I’ve never tested my chameleon for parasites is that something I should do? If i’m being totally honest I’m very paranoid so I may take him if you suggest. Nothing bad has happened to him except he got freaked out because a cricked climbed on him. I took it off and felt bad the whole day so that may be why he isn’t eating them. yes you should get his fecal tested and white is good for the irate that means he’s hydrated.

I have a screen enclosure 4x2x2 I believe. I use a t5 uvb light and reptile basking spot lamp for the heat lamp. I leave the uvb light on for 12 hours then turn it off at night time. I don’t turn off the heat lamp but am i supposed to? My switch broke on the lamp so i’ll buy a new one if I should. My temp in the hot spot is 80-90 usually and my cold side is around 75. I have never checked overnight temp since i had the heat lamp on. I have a temp gun I use to measure the heat. So you definitely should turn off all lights at night unless it gets below 50 in your house. For temp gun you don’t want that you should use a throbe temp and humidity and should have atleast two some great ones are govvee on Amazon. Is your light linear and could we see photos. with basking temp around 82-84 and have all lights on a 12 hour schedule. I try to keep ambient temps in the mid 70’s and provide a temp drop at night

My humidity is around 75-80, I spray all the vines and branches, have my dripping system on, I also keep a water bin at the bottom for humidity. I use a thermometer humidity gauge from petsmart. I’m not using live plants currently but i’m going shopping tomorrow so can I have chameleon safe plants? Govvee will be better for humidity checking you want during the day you want 40 percent and during night you want 70% or higher higher is better

My cage is in my room not many people go in my room. I’m usually in the living room, kitchen, or out of the house so it’s not very crowded. It’s on a stand which isn’t that high but higher then my bed frame. It isnt near any fans at all. I’m located in Pennsylvania. Let me know if there’s any other information I should provide. Pics of cage and lights? and are u using live plants

your guy will need a cage of atleast 2ft by 2ft by 4ft could u measure your cage to be sure of size.

Attachments

• 473C8A5E-BCD0-4EBF-85A1-582556771F6A.png
    473C8A5E-BCD0-4EBF-85A1-582556771F6A.png
    615.6 KB · Views: 53
  • EFD92877-6D3F-4EBE-97D1-98FE68F9CD89.png
    EFD92877-6D3F-4EBE-97D1-98FE68F9CD89.png
    752.5 KB · Views: 51
  • A92C1DC2-7BB8-42EC-8AC2-E0A2F9AE8134.png
    A92C1DC2-7BB8-42EC-8AC2-E0A2F9AE8134.png
    915.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 4134BBF6-BB18-47B6-92F0-2B617F7042E9.png
    4134BBF6-BB18-47B6-92F0-2B617F7042E9.png
    809.6 KB · Views: 52

Some pointers in bold
From what the pet store told me he is a veiled chameleon, male, and they didn’t tell me the age. I’ve been handling him once or twice a week depending on his mood. He’s been alright with me handling him and he loves being in the sunlight from my window. I’ve had him for about two months and he hasn’t grown much so I’m pretty sure i’m doing something wrong. So I’ll link a good food graphic. Can we see pics of full cage and his light set up. Just to let you know uvb doesn’t penetrate windows. Handeling is pretty good since his young you may want to do it a lil less.

I’m feeding my chameleon crickets which I think he’s getting bored of I tried wax worms and he just won’t eat them. I looked up feeders that are safe for chameleons and I got dubia roaches can I feed them? Is there any other feeders I can feed? For gutloding i’ve been feeding the crickets cricket food from the pet store, the employees said it’s very high protein for them is that right? I’ve also been adding carrots, mango, and raspberries to it. Are you adding those fruits and vegetables to his bowl if so don’t bc they are insectivores not omnivores. I’ll add a food and gutload graphic. Gut loading is feeding your insect or feeders so your chameleon can get max nutrients. You can feed as many feeder as you want from the graphic below

I use calcium without d3 every day, how much calcium should I be giving him? I also give him multivitamins twice a month and calcium I don’t give calcium with d3 because they said I don’t have to because I have a uvb. For the water i’m misting four plus times a day and i have a dropper that drips off the vines. I’ve seen him drinking before but he usually gives me a look whenever I’m looking for too long haha. phosphorus free calcium powder without D3, which would be used at every feeding. Then you’ll need a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin, each to be used one feeding every other week (alternating them weekly).
This is how I mist but it depends where you live so you can get correct heat and humidity I m 3 min after lights turn on 3 mins 30 mins before lights turn off and 1 min In mid night and 1 min mid day. If your chameleons fecals are looking dehydrated (orange unrated) then you can have a dripper I do it as an extra precaution. For the supplements you have to have them even if you have uvb. What uvb are you using and what heat lamp and bulb I’ll add some links to great uvb and heat lamps in a sec.

Here is some great ones for supplements https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptile-Calcium-without/dp/B000UJPHL8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3RR6UP5IWF1T&dchild=1&keywords=repti+calcium+without+d3&qid=1626198929&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=repti+,pets,190&sr=1-4

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptivite-Vitamin-8-Ounce/dp/B002GC4B6O/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2Y7FMA1RPNXI&dchild=1&keywords=reptivite+with+d3&qid=1626198885&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=Reptivite,pets,184&sr=1-1

From his droppings they’re the normal color and there is white? Is that the pee I feel like I freak out over it but I can’t tell. I’ve never tested my chameleon for parasites is that something I should do? If i’m being totally honest I’m very paranoid so I may take him if you suggest. Nothing bad has happened to him except he got freaked out because a cricked climbed on him. I took it off and felt bad the whole day so that may be why he isn’t eating them. yes you should get his fecal tested and white is good for the irate that means he’s hydrated.

I have a screen enclosure 4x2x2 I believe. I use a t5 uvb light and reptile basking spot lamp for the heat lamp. I leave the uvb light on for 12 hours then turn it off at night time. I don’t turn off the heat lamp but am i supposed to? My switch broke on the lamp so i’ll buy a new one if I should. My temp in the hot spot is 80-90 usually and my cold side is around 75. I have never checked overnight temp since i had the heat lamp on. I have a temp gun I use to measure the heat. So you definitely should turn off all lights at night unless it gets below 50 in your house. For temp gun you don’t want that you should use a throbe temp and humidity and should have atleast two some great ones are govvee on Amazon. Is your light linear and could we see photos. with basking temp around 82-84 and have all lights on a 12 hour schedule. I try to keep ambient temps in the mid 70’s and provide a temp drop at night

My humidity is around 75-80, I spray all the vines and branches, have my dripping system on, I also keep a water bin at the bottom for humidity. I use a thermometer humidity gauge from petsmart. I’m not using live plants currently but i’m going shopping tomorrow so can I have chameleon safe plants? Govvee will be better for humidity checking you want during the day you want 40 percent and during night you want 70% or higher higher is better

My cage is in my room not many people go in my room. I’m usually in the living room, kitchen, or out of the house so it’s not very crowded. It’s on a stand which isn’t that high but higher then my bed frame. It isnt near any fans at all. I’m located in Pennsylvania. Let me know if there’s any other information I should provide. Pics of cage and lights? and are u using live plants

your guy will need a cage of atleast 2ft by 2ft by 4ft could u measure your cage to be sure of size.
Sorry I wasn’t clear enough I meant I feed my crickets the fruits and vegetables. I’ll check out the graphic for better food. I use both of the calcium that you linked. I’ll put a picture below of my lightings. Alright I will definitely get it tested! I’ll start turning my lights off and I’ll let you know once I get the thermometer/hydrometer. I’m not using live plants at the moment because I didn’t know which were safe. I’m going to go shopping soon for some live plants because I heard they’re better with humidity. I’m also going to order some climbing things if you have suggestions?

Attachments

• 6562E5E1-075F-4FC1-B5DA-C4E923AF8774.jpeg
    6562E5E1-075F-4FC1-B5DA-C4E923AF8774.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 86DF1937-3765-4588-A144-DEA1CBA57CC5.jpeg
    86DF1937-3765-4588-A144-DEA1CBA57CC5.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 945815E4-4E71-4133-9957-E0F63FD1EBE8.jpeg
    945815E4-4E71-4133-9957-E0F63FD1EBE8.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 62
You should start reading through every module of this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Cage needs some work to be suitable for him. And the cat in the room is a hard no when you have the cham out. If the cat is sitting on the bed or table during the day watching him in the cage that is also a hard no. Cats and chams do not mix. They can do a lot of damage very very quickly. And just being it the cats presence like that will cause the baby a lot of stress.

You should start reading through every module of this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Cage needs some work to be suitable for him. And the cat in the room is a hard no when you have the cham out. If the cat is sitting on the bed or table during the day watching him in the cage that is also a hard no. Cats and chams do not mix. They can do a lot of damage very very quickly. And just being it the cats presence like that will cause the baby a lot of stress.
Alright I’ll look at the website I just want to make sure I take good care of him. I’ll definitely keep my cat out of my room. Do you have any ideas on what to do with stuck shed? I know that’s a random question but sometimes he has stuck shed in his nose and it doesn’t come out.

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough I meant I feed my crickets the fruits and vegetables. I’ll check out the graphic for better food. I use both of the calcium that you linked. I’ll put a picture below of my lightings. Alright I will definitely get it tested! I’ll start turning my lights off and I’ll let you know once I get the thermometer/hydrometer. I’m not using live plants at the moment because I didn’t know which were safe. I’m going to go shopping soon for some live plants because I heard they’re better with humidity. I’m also going to order some climbing things if you have suggestions?
So too add what Beman said fakes plants not only hold humidity better they are a must bc veileds are known to chop on plants and if they eat fake plants they can get impacted nobody has a clue why they take chomps and for climbing things plants and stick will work. I would get Aton of plants and for sticks just go to your back yard and collect not super dead ones and not sap producing ones. I just used loppers to cut a cherry tree to my liking. Your cage should be filled with plants and sticks horizontally and vertically. Here’s mine rn I have no clue why but I bought a to tiny cage so I’m building one very soon

Alright I’ll look at the website I just want to make sure I take good care of him. I’ll definitely keep my cat out of my room. Do you have any ideas on what to do with stuck shed? I know that’s a random question but sometimes he has stuck shed in his nose and it doesn’t come out.
You need to get your husbandry on point. Right now its off. Too hot at basking. Too humid. Leaving the heat light on 24/7. No live plants. No places for him to climb. Environmental conditions have to be met to ensure optimal health. You have quite a bit that is off. This would relate to him not eating and stuck shed issues. They hide health issues because they have to appear strong in the wild so they are not killed off. So right now your seeing initial signs of issues. Stuck shed and not eating.

The link I gave you is very thorough and will walk you through all the steps to proper set up and husbandry for him. Once you read through everything there ask your questions in the forum and we can assist you.

Back
Top Bottom