Veiled Chameleon

dq123

I bought a uvb light and it burned my chameleon so I moved the light upwards so my chameleon wouldn’t try to bask under it too long and hurt himself again. I recently went to the vet and purchased a cream for his thermal burns. He hates it and hisses at me and he’s even striked at me. Help please what can I do so he isn’t mad :(

Can you please post a picture of the UVB lighting your using that burned him. I believe you are using the wrong type for a chameleon. Also pics of your chameleon so we can see the burns.... He is going to not want you messing with him. Thermal burns are painful.

You may be better off using long qtips to apply the cream. Generously on the burn but very gently so it is not pulling the skin.

7CB2E49A-A4F4-4D75-BAAA-AD34C3E3336D.jpeg

Attachments

• E2D07609-9146-4C9A-9441-C831D1306EBB.jpeg
    E2D07609-9146-4C9A-9441-C831D1306EBB.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 84
Um that fixture would not cause a burn unless it is on the inside of the cage and is not a UVB bulb. What are you using for UVB. The image of the burns look more like bruising then a thermal burn.

Can you post some additional pictures please. You have a female not a male. You will need a lay bin for her.

Please copy paste this form below in your reply and fill it out with detail. Adding pics of the enclosure lights down.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Please put a lay bin in the cage ASAP.
How much do you feed the chameleon in a week?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? I'm looking for phos, calcium, D3 and form of vitamin A in each as well.

Um that fixture would not cause a burn unless it is on the inside of the cage and is not a UVB bulb. What are you using for UVB. The image of the burns look more like bruising then a thermal burn.

Can you post some additional pictures please. You have a female not a male. You will need a lay bin for her.
i
Please put a lay bin in the cage ASAP.
How much do you feed the chameleon in a week?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? I'm looking for phos, calcium, D3 and form of vitamin A in each as well.
I feed it mealworms for now but I feed the mealworms calcium so they’re loaded with them, i feed her every other day 10-12 worms. I bought new supplements as well too that haven’t got here and some crickets as well that i plan on sprinkling calcium w/o D3 and no phosphorus as for supplements i’m not so sure of which ones to buy yet i’ve heard mixed opinions. any suggestions on them ?

Please copy paste this form below in your reply and fill it out with detail. Adding pics of the enclosure lights down.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Veiled Chamelon, female. Age: not sure. I was given it after someone who kept it died and I was never given the appropriate age. As for handling, I try my best not to handle her as much but when I apply the cream onto her I have to hold her or else she’ll try to run off. Feeding: mealworms and crickets are new to her diet. the mealworms are gut loaded with calcium and the crickets are being sprinkled calcium no d3 by rep-cal. as for watering i have a little waterfall going on for her. the plants i have are bromelias and money tree plants. my location is central texas at the moment as well.

my cage is currently mesh and the measurements are 16x16x30.

I bought a uvb light and it burned my chameleon so I moved the light upwards so my chameleon wouldn’t try to bask under it too long and hurt himself again. I recently went to the vet and purchased a cream for his thermal burns. He hates it and hisses at me and he’s even striked at me. Help please what can I do so he isn’t mad :(
a
Veiled Chamelon, female. Age: not sure. I was given it after someone who kept it died and I was never given the appropriate age. As for handling, I try my best not to handle her as much but when I apply the cream onto her I have to hold her or else she’ll try to run off. Feeding: mealworms and crickets are new to her diet. the mealworms are gut loaded with calcium and the crickets are being sprinkled calcium no d3 by rep-cal. as for watering i have a little waterfall going on for her. the plants i have are bromelias and money tree plants. my location is central texas at the moment as well.

014CFB37-C0E3-4308-AB81-FE1B499121A4.jpeg
4AE016A2-ABA0-4658-88BD-6C023BA5BDCC.jpeg

You said..."I feed it mealworms for now but I feed the mealworms calcium so they’re loaded with them, i feed her every other day 10-12 worms"...mealworms are not the best option but I was asking to see if you're feeding her too much and pushing her towards laying a large clutch. IMHO, she should only be being fed 4 or 5 crickets 2 or 3 times a week...or equal calories in BSFL, roaches, etc.
Listen to the Neptune video @PoseidonTheChameleon posted above for information on clutch size, etc.

You said.."I bought new supplements as well too that haven’t got here and some crickets as well that i plan on sprinkling calcium w/o D3 and no phosphorus as for supplements i’m not so sure of which ones to buy yet i’ve heard mixed opinions. any suggestions on them ?"...it's recommended that you dust the insects lightly with a phos free calcium at all feedings but one per week. One that one day alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder that contains a prEformed source of vitamin A ..no D3 lightly.

Ok start reading everything in this husbandry program... https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You will need to start making changes to the enclosure. No waterfall you need to mist her plants in the morning and evening and provide a dripper for daytime dripping down on the plants.

You have to get the correct UVB lighting for her. A T5HO fixture with a 5.0 bulb this should sit on top of the cage and there should be a branch 8-9 inches below it for her to get the correct UVB level. The image you posted looks like bruising caused by a fall not a thermal burn. You want this one and choose the 24 inch fixture option https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html

Enclosure is a bit too small. you have to accommodate a lay bin and it is going to be hard to do this in that small of a cage.

You want her on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders each time.

You will not ever want basking to be over 78-80 for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

A lay bin should be added as a permanent fixture by the time they are 6 months old so they get used to it and it does not cause stress.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

Here is an image for feeders and lay bin.

laybin graphic.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom