Veiled chameleon

Chammy007

Established Member
Hi all,
I was at the local Petco and they had a baby Veiled chameleon for sale that I’m interested in. Would a Veiled Chammy make for a good starter/beginner Cham? What are the pros and cons of going with a Cham from a major retail chain? thanks much.chammy007.

Hello, first of all please NEVER buy from petco/petsmart. The have terrible genetics for all of their animals and most die young from health complications. If you do decide to get one, I would definitley go with an experienced breeder that can answer all of your questions and get you started. Do you have any previous experience with reptiles? Are you looking for a more handalable reptile or are you okay with a more look don’t touch pet?

Hello, first of all please NEVER buy from petco/petsmart. The have terrible genetics for all of their animals and most die young from health complications. If you do decide to get one, I would definitley go with an experienced breeder that can answer all of your questions and get you started. Do you have any previous experience with reptiles? Are you looking for a more handalable reptile or are you okay with a more look don’t touch pet?
I rescued one of my girls from pet smart. She had an eye infection /ri she's full grown now and seems to be perfectly healthy I do agree however that the breeders that supply big chains would give them the "bottom of the barrel" chams, that coupled with the horrible husbandry practices in both petco and petmart is what leads to most of the health issues. Nowadays I think it's more so the husbandry especially at my local petsmart smh..most inbreeding has been put to a stop or slowed but now they are breeding in desired deformity so yeah it's best to buy from a reputable breeder and avoid taking the gamble being a novice keeper. Veileds are the best entry level chams.

Thanks much for the replies. I have no prior experience with reptiles.As far as a more handalable vs. don't touch..... I’m open.Me being a newbie I’m thinking I’ll go with the independent breeder route as suggested unless you think I should go the petco route with the intent of rescuing the Cham.
Thanks again.chammy007

Thanks much for the replies. As far as a more handalable vs. don't touch I’m open.Me being a newbie I’m thinking I’ll go with the independent breeder route as suggested unless you think I should go the petco route with the intent of rescuing the Cham.
Thanks again.chammy007
If you can wait for the next reptile show to roll thru your town you should. That being said you came to the rite place for help to rescue a Cham.

I was at my local petsmart (out of necessity ) and saw a young veiled in a small aquarium. I was curious and asked the store employee how long they had the cham in the store. He looked at me and said"that's not a chameleon,it's a baby water dragon"
I could barely contain myself from laughing. Maybe this guy works in the fish dept or something but certainly does not belong in the same room with reptiles. Where do they find these people?

I was at my local petsmart (out of necessity ) and saw a young veiled in a small aquarium. I was curious and asked the store employee how long they had the cham in the store. He looked at me and said"that's not a chameleon,it's a baby water dragon"
I could barely contain myself from laughing. Maybe this guy works in the fish dept or something but certainly does not belong in the same room with reptiles. Where do they find these people?
Thats not a baby field mouse lmao.. yeah it's unfortunate that the reptiles aren't lucrative enough for them to hire experts to ensure the health and well being of the poor little ones. I can't go into a petmart or petco without offering to volunteer or dropping a hr long lecture on the pizza boy in charge of the reptile dept.

What is this site coming to with people talking about rescuing from Petco and condoning it. Not the same place I joined years ago that would shut this crap down asap. Okay if you want to call it rescue, also say that you murdered the following chams they brought in due to the sale... sorry friends, truth hurts. Cry now

And besides the ridiculous "petco rescue" argument, why not support breeders that actually put time, money, and care into bringing quality animals to the hobby? You're rewarding a garbage company and screwing small business/hobbyist breeders.

What is this site coming to with people talking about rescuing from Petco and condoning it. Not the same place I joined years ago that would shut this crap down asap. Okay if you want to call it rescue, also say that you murdered the following chams they brought in due to the sale... sorry friends, truth hurts. Cry now

I called it a rescue due to its deteriorating health that I was able to reverse luckily enough. I doubt she would have made it otherwise. I Agree that if you don't buy them from there they might stop selling them wich would be great do to the way they keep them.

Thanks much for the replies. I have no prior experience with reptiles.As far as a more handalable vs. don't touch..... I’m open.Me being a newbie I’m thinking I’ll go with the independent breeder route as suggested unless you think I should go the petco route with the intent of rescuing the Cham.
Thanks again.chammy007

Panthers are also a good option for beginners. I would go with a male of whichever you chose. Females have more care requirements.

As for rescuing from pet smart it’s not really rescuing unless they give it to you for free. Otherwise you bought a chameleon from a place that doesn’t care about them and they will get another one to replace it tommorow.

I’ll give the most honest advice I can. To say that you’ve rescued a reptile from a big box store by purchasing it does not accurately represent the facts. When you buy a Cham from one of these places, you have contributed to a statistic that says, “ these sell, bring in another.” And that is not good for the hobby. That being said, we have two big box chams, and they have both been relatively healthy. Buying from a big box is not really rescuing.

Enough of my rant! Veileds make excellent first time chams, but please do the research before diving in head first. S/he will eventually require a ton of equipment and space that will outpace the cost of the chameleon ten-fold. A veiled costs ~ $50, but the minimum recommended cage size will cost you approximately $150. Add to that a $100 misting system, a 100$ uvb setup, $50 worth of plants, and you're looking at a $500 investment just to get started.

Panthers are also a good option for beginners. I would go with a male of whichever you chose. Females have more care requirements.

As for rescuing from pet smart it’s not really rescuing unless they give it to you for free. Otherwise you bought a chameleon from a place that doesn’t care about them and they will get another one to replace it tommorow.

Yes I failed to mention that she was written off and given to me for free so I guess she's a rescue thru and thru.

Hi, sorry didn’t mean to stir up emotions in you guys. I’m all for the breeders who take pride in what they do. At this point I’m leaning towards a Veiled Cham, but am keeping the Jacksons and panthers open as an option. Thanks.chammy007

No need to apologize we are all animal lovers and are very passionate when it comes to how they are treated or mistreated You are off to a great start please don't hesitate to ask any questions and please if you are serious about being a keeper do as much research as humanly possible b4 and after you get one. Until your eyes hurt from reading and your brain swells lol

Last edited:
@Chammy007, emotions do sometimes run high in public forums where long time hobbyists get tired of saying the same things over and over. That’s nothing against you, nor any new member. Sometimes folks come home from a long day and are less than cordial. You are very welcome here, and always feel free to ask questions.

Veileds are great first-time chams, as are panthers. As species that fall within the montagne category, Jackson’s are a bit of a learning curve, but still possible given the right care and setup.

please feel free to ask anything you want, and pm me anytime. Best of luck on what will be a rich and rewarding journey into this crazy world of chamming!

I bought from petco and have a beautiful healthy male veiled... however this is not the norm. I bought from a reputable breeder and lost the Cham within weeks.... however this is not the norm.

Either way your buying. Either way is a risk in my opinion.

I feel it is more important to know and learn as much as possible prior to thinking about buying from either source. These animals needs are expensive. Vet bills are extremely expensive.

Read posts on the forum and the blogs along with the resource pages. Trust me you want to know what your getting into before you make the commitment. Good luck in your adventure! Welcome to the forum!

I would also suggest that you do research and ask questions on any equipment before you purchase. I learned the hard way and spent alot of money on things that just sit in the garage now because they are not the correct items to use. You will get good advice from forum members so don't be afraid to ask. Welcome!

Back
Top Bottom