Veiled chameleon

I bought from petco and have a beautiful healthy male veiled... however this is not the norm. I bought from a reputable breeder and lost the Cham within weeks.... however this is not the norm.

Either way your buying. Either way is a risk in my opinion.

I feel it is more important to know and learn as much as possible prior to thinking about buying from either source. These animals needs are expensive. Vet bills are extremely expensive.

Read posts on the forum and the blogs along with the resource pages. Trust me you want to know what your getting into before you make the commitment. Good luck in your adventure! Welcome to the forum!

Respectfully, I feel you are missing the point. Your wording is skewing the overall fact of the matter. Also, the risks buying from Petco and a breeder aren't even close. BTW the breeder that sold you the sick cham, and didn't make it right... Do we still see him around this community? We're talking about the overall system of abuse put in place by many Petco, not that they ONLY have sick animals and breeders ONLY have healthy. *Good breeders will make it right though. Good breeders are often supporting a family while caring for the animals as best as they can. You may have a decent Petco, but they are part of a bigger problem.

Just a few days ago everyone went nuts over a youtube video of chams facing off with each other. And rightfully so. why does petco/petsmart get a pass? I just don't understand the logic.

Yes we've agreed, people can call it rescue, but they're also contributing to the future abuse when they order more in.

I've got stuff from Petco too! I called it an ignorant impulse buy, not a rescue. Something I learned from and wouldn't do again or recommend. That's my point!

Last edited:
Hi, sorry didn’t mean to stir up emotions in you guys. I’m all for the breeders who take pride in what they do. At this point I’m leaning towards a Veiled Cham, but am keeping the Jacksons and panthers open as an option. Thanks.chammy007

Wasn't your fault. I just want to see people recommend that we go to breeders, not Petco. I could have came off nicer, but this has been brought up so many times.

Yes we've agreed, people can call it rescue
From this thread it appears that we agree on the complete opposite, this strongly contradicts your first post about it being murder if you paid for one. I somewhat agreed with that and genuinely appreciated your passion however doubtful I may be that us enthusiasts not buying from big box stores will ever have such an impact as to effectively shut down there reptile departments. I think they will always sell them due to the general publics overall ignorance and as long as they do I will be there lecturing the pizza boy on why a guinea pig water dripper is not an ideal water delivery system for chams.

Last edited:
just my two cent. I’ve bought from petco never again and had a cham with coccidia. Bought off Craigslist and got a female with reproductive issues. Bought from a mom and pop chameleon died in 3 weeks from Unknown problems. Soooooooo Cham keep just sucks lol but I know I picked shit places to buy from.

Respectfully, I feel you are missing the point. Your wording is skewing the overall fact of the matter. Also, the risks buying from Petco and a breeder aren't even close. BTW the breeder that sold you the sick cham, and didn't make it right... Do we still see him around this community? We're talking about the overall system of abuse put in place by many Petco, not that they ONLY have sick animals and breeders ONLY have healthy. *Good breeders will make it right though. Good breeders are often supporting a family while caring for the animals as best as they can. You may have a decent Petco, but they are part of a bigger problem.

Just a few days ago everyone went nuts over a youtube video of chams facing off with each other. And rightfully so. why does petco/petsmart get a pass? I just don't understand the logic.

Yes we've agreed, people can call it rescue, but they're also contributing to the future abuse when they order more in.

I've got stuff from Petco too! I called it an ignorant impulse buy, not a rescue. Something I learned from and wouldn't do again or recommend. That's my point!
LOL funny thing is I am not arguing with you. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with either side. I never said it was a rescue either. My point was that the research on husbandry was the most important prior to bringing a cham home. I am familiar with the OP's prior posts. They have gone back and forth between multiple species and asking lots of questions. I do not feel that they know what they want yet and I think they are still in research mode.

Read my post again James. I don't feel that I missed the point at all. The OP asked for our opinions. I gave my opinion on what I have been through with both of MY buying experiences. And being as how I NEVER speak of what I went through with my buying from a breeder experience. I feel you missed my point entirely and zeroed in on the fact that I was not directly supporting buying only from breeders. Just because what I posted did not line up with your feelings on the matter does not make it invalid. I spoke of my experience only. I even said that both of my experiences were not the norm. I will not quiet myself or my opinion because it does not line up with my friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom