Veiled Chameleon-White Spots

Evensen0316

Hey guys I have recently gotten a female veiled chameleon. I’m still faily new to owning a chameleon. Can anyone help me identify if my chameleon is starting to shed or if their is something else going on with her. They almsot look like flaky white spots where she’s starting to shed, but I would like to ask to be sure! Also, if anyone had any guesses on how old she may be? I wasn’t given an age when I got her, to me she appears to be about a year or maybe just under?

Attachments

• DA21ADEE-8523-46C4-A1C6-952DBA2FD29D.jpeg
    DA21ADEE-8523-46C4-A1C6-952DBA2FD29D.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 83
This is her today, she is eating well and actually ate a cricket right out of my fingers! I’m hoping she is just starting to shed, but she is still “pacing” in her enclosure.. I’m not sure if that’s because I’ve just put the marble pothos in a couple days ago and she’s just liking to hang around down by that? It may also be because my basking light is too warm that she’s going up and down the tank? (Pacing)

Attachments

• 56C86D8F-66B2-4413-A7D3-DBDFB073665F.png
    56C86D8F-66B2-4413-A7D3-DBDFB073665F.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 76
My guess is shedding - maybe it's not the best shed because humidity conditions aren't quite right?

Pacing could be her hunting for more food or maybe she's getting ready to lay? Not sure how old she is. I'm guessing if @MissSkittles talked to you via PM you probably know about how female Veiled chameleons lay eggs even if they're infertile, like chickens.

Yeah we were discussing her age, do to her not developing any mature colors yet I believe she’s just under a year old. I do have a lay bin, just not sure if she’s mature enough to lay eggs so I don’t think it’s that. My humidity stays between 30–45%, I am currently struggling to keep humidity up. Any good tips to keep it up?

Yeah we were discussing her age, do to her not developing any mature colors yet I believe she’s just under a year old. I do have a lay bin, just not sure if she’s mature enough to lay eggs so I don’t think it’s that. My humidity stays between 30–45%, I am currently struggling to keep humidity up. Any good tips to keep it up?
I'm not sure what your cage looks like, but for my little panther baby I used plastic window insulating stuff (super cheap at the hardware store) that you stick onto the edges of your cage and then use a hair dryer to shrink the plastic tight. I've got it on the two sides and back of my cage and between that and a lot of plants on the bottom, I've been able to keep my humidity between 50-60% during the day, and with the mister going off a few times a night, upwards of 75-100%. I bet with fewer mistings you can have a similar setup and get to where you need to be for a veiled.

30-45% humidity is great during the day for a Veiled. Lots of live plants, mistings, and shower curtain / plastic wrap can help boost humidity. So a misting or two at lights out and midnight can help for the desired nighttime humidity boost.

Do you have an accurate gauge for temps and humidity? Digital, and with a probe?

So miss skittles told me not to use my fogger in the enclosure. I actually just moved the fogger to a different area in my room and it’s actually boosting my humidity more than it was in the tank.. I was able to get 50-60% humidity last night! I can’t get my temps to drop below 75 at night right now, I’m hoping this is okay?

High humidity + high temperature (above 65ish) gives infectious bacteria the opportunity to grow. The concern with that is a respiratory infection. Where are you located? Do you have the ability to install a window AC unit?

Fogger outside the enclosure to boost humidity makes sense. It's basically a humidifier for the room.

I currently live in Wisconsin and it still gets below 30° and pretty dry outside too.. my thermostat for the house is at 65° I’ll crack my window sometimes to bring the temp down about 5° but that drains all my humidity..

I currently live in Wisconsin and it still gets below 30° and pretty dry outside too.. my thermostat for the house is at 65° I’ll crack my window sometimes to bring the temp down about 5° but that drains all my humidity..

Gotcha! I'm in central Florida so I have the opposite issue. Do you use an all screen enclosure? It might help to get a hybrid one - with PVC walls and screen top and front for proper ventilation.

Anyway! Chameleons are dry shedders. So the fact that you have low humidity means that might not be impacting the shed. Supplements could impact shedding as well.

Have you done a full husbandry review yet? Would you like to do one?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female Veiled, 4 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Only when changing things in enclose
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets 10-15, I use repashy super load and some flukers cricket quencher for hydration.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
First day I had her I fed her with Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus LoD, I believe that has D3. Other than that day I dust with Repti calcium without D3 each feeding. I’ll use the repashy again later this month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a spray bottle and mist the tank with that a few times a day to keep humidity up and for water. I actually like using my fogger because the hose actually drips water like a water dropper. I have seen her drink off leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
First scat I saw was moist and the urine was white with a little yellow at one end. All moist. No parasite testing that I know of.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Got her from pet co so don’t know much..
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
24x24x48 screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I’m not positive what UVB light I have, but I do know I ordered this one after I got a link from someone in forums. I do believe it’s the light you had just mentioned. Basking light is a 50w tekizoo. Schedule is 8-8.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Currently this in my opinion is my biggest issue. I have no way to see what temps are under basking light and bottom of tank. Thermostat at middle of cage says 81° My basking light fixture has a dial so I can dim my basking light for cooler temps if I need. I just need to get something to check my temps.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have a zoomed hygrometer, I mist with spray bottle and use a fogger a few times a day to keep humidity where it needs to be. It seams like my enclosure has a hard time staying over 50% so I leave my fogger on low all night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
All live plants, I have a marble pothos and focus benjamina. I also have a couple smaller plants that are cham safe I’m not sure the names.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Located in my bedroom, no fans or vents. The only traffic are my girlfriend and I. Dogs or cats may wander into my room but I try keeping them out. Enclosure is maybe a foot from top of my room. (I can’t raise my lights because the tank is up so high)
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Usa, Wisconsin

I have since gotten a stick and probe and the highest temp I was able to get was 91° under basking. I will attempt to get another temp tomorrow.

First off I must commend you for coming here and doing so much to take care of your new chameleon!!

I do think getting a proper temp/hygrometer with a probe will help you get more accurate readings. I'm turning in for the night. I'll reply to your husbandry notes with more detail tomorrow and share some product links 🤗

Yes I use tap water.
So one thing that may be going on here especially with tap water... We do not recommend tap water because it is hard water which damages things like foggers and misting systems. It leaves behind the mineral build up. I have seen where it can leave a film or white coating to everything that is sprayed as well. If the cham is getting wet then going and basking this could actually be the mineral excess from the tap water rather than shedding.

Shedding is very obvious and comes off in a layer rather then little flaky pieces.

Consider changing to an RO system, distilled water, or a zero water filter system. See if the flaking stops. Plus is will make your equipment last longer.

Back
Top Bottom