Veiled chameleon veggies

Ardentish

How do y'all get your veiled chameleons to eat vegetables?? I have an 8 month old male veiled chameleon and I know they eat bugs as well as veggies but he's not interested in any vegetables I offer him. I've seen bites taken out of his live plants I have in his cage but that's it. I've tried a variety of greens and other things that are safe for him to eat but no luck.. should I be concerned? Is it necessary for him to eat veggies? He eats his feeder bugs with no problem

You don't.... The veg and fruit is for your feeders only not the chameleon. It is believed that they eat their plants to aid in digestion. As in ruffage. But they do not actually digest them.
.. Everything I've seen on them says that they're omnivores unlike a lot of other cham species.. I know some people even give their veileds "salads" daily. It even says on the care sheet on this website
Screenshot_20200917-145924.png

.. Everything I've seen on them says that they're omnivores unlike a lot of other cham species.. I know some people even give their veileds "salads" daily. It even says on the care sheet on this websiteView attachment 277451
Right and even this website has outdated information. Like it saying to use butterworms.... They are actually known to cause allergic reactions in chams and are not something that should be fed due to this risk.
For current info that is accurate go to this website https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/
And this is from that page under Feeding
"Veiled Chameleons are one of the few chameleon species that are known to graze on their cage plants. In the wild, their food, as babies, is reported to consist of caterpillars and soft food items. The plant matter is used as roughage to help the digesting mass through the system. As this is during the wet season there is no reason to need to eat plants for moisture and insects are plentiful so there is no nutrition known that they need from these plants. In your cage you may find your pothos or umbrella plant having a triangle bite taken out of it. This is normal and not dangerous. Though do not offer fruits. Even though Veiled Chameleons will eat greens and fruits they are not necessary to feed. Especially avoid feeding fruit which is filled with sugars."

You will find there is a ton of information. Not all of it is accurate and not all of it is up to date for where the hobby is currently in it knowledge.

“Munching on plant leaves” refers to live plants that are already in their enclosures. Not offering your cham leafy vegetables in addition to their bugs.

Just keep feeding your cham gutloaded bugs and they will be a happy chameleon.

“Munching on plant leaves” refers to live plants that are already in their enclosures. Not offering your cham leafy vegetables in addition to their bugs.

Just keep feeding your cham gutloaded bugs and they will be a happy chameleon.
Alrighty. Thank you!

.. Everything I've seen on them says that they're omnivores unlike a lot of other cham species.. I know some people even give their veileds "salads" daily. It even says on the care sheet on this websiteView attachment 277451
I agree with Beman that veileds don't need fruit or vegies but if you put fruit,vegie,and a bug in front of mine; the bug will be eaten last every time. They will eat it but In captivity its your responsibility to monitor what is offered for good health.
Enjoy?

They will eat pothos in your enclosure and mine eats flame violets. I mean eats them until there is nothing left. I don't think this is right.

Back
Top Bottom