Veiled Chameleon Starved?

Your female shouldn't have her mouth open. What's the temp. in her cage? Your male has MBD (metabolic bone disease) and the vet will also need to treat that with liquid calcium. If you don't know how old the UVB lights are then you should buy new ones. If you can get him some outside time in a screen enclosure in the shade that will help too. Don't cook him in the sun. He'll get plenty of UVB even in the shade. Here's some info about MBD.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/
she was doing that because she didn't like the contraption my mom was holding (her phone) and thanks

murfreesboro nashville huntsville\

Here's a few you can call and see if they can treat a chameleon.

Kyle Daniel, DVM
Animal Care Veterinary Hospital, Inc.
2750 New Salem Hwy
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
Tel: (615) 896-3434

James Talbot, DVM
Belle Forest Animal Hospital
154 Belle Forest Circle
Nashville, TN 37221
Tel: (615) 662-1700

Michael Lutz, DVM
Mobley Veterinary Clinic
4709 Gallatin Pike
Nashville, TN 37216
Tel: (615) 262-0415

Airport Animal Clinic
Dr. Mike Corwin
215 Pineway Dr.,
Nashville, TN 37217
(615) 367-9319

Here's a few you can call and see if they can treat a chameleon.

Kyle Daniel, DVM
Animal Care Veterinary Hospital, Inc.
2750 New Salem Hwy
Murfreesboro, TN 37130
Tel: (615) 896-3434

James Talbot, DVM
Belle Forest Animal Hospital
154 Belle Forest Circle
Nashville, TN 37221
Tel: (615) 662-1700

Michael Lutz, DVM
Mobley Veterinary Clinic
4709 Gallatin Pike
Nashville, TN 37216
Tel: (615) 262-0415

Airport Animal Clinic
Dr. Mike Corwin
215 Pineway Dr.,
Nashville, TN 37217
(615) 367-9319
ill give them a ring

He seems to like it honestly. She does too. The like to climb all over the place. And i know that they get spots when they feel threatened but they don't do that unless their in their terrium and im trying to get them other than that they turn to an almost very light color. No they're not housed together. The solid green one is my female (but you probs knew) and the other 3 are my male. He was a deep brown because he was trying to blend in with the habitat. Which worked really well it took me a little bit to find him.

Your pictures and your story just broke my heart.

Your female has a very bad but healed burn. She looks gravid (carrying eggs). You male has many fractured legs and you handle him all the time. Can you not see how broken his legs are? He desperately needs to be under the treatment of a veterinarian. Metabolic Bone Disease is not something a novice can treat on their own.

Please read the care sheets on chameleons in general and Veileds in particular. They are located under Resources on this web site I believe.

Chameleons do not like to be handled. Chameleons in pain from broken legs don't like to be handled even less.

Please do not handle them. I think you are mistaking escape/fear behavior to "liking" being handled. Animals that are not comfortable or are afraid will often flee. Sometimes they freeze. You cannot come to the conclusion that they like it just because they are active.

Chameleons do not handle stress well, and handling them is stressful. Maybe someday you will be able to have a good enough understanding of the animals's basic nature to be able to handle it without causing it stress you aren't there yet.

You have piqued my curiosity. Can you explain again what it was you found that you thought were drugs? Are you talking about hard white almost granular globs/pieces? Maybe yellow or orange?

Your female has a very bad but healed burn. She looks gravid (carrying eggs). You male has many fractured legs and you handle him all the time. Can you not see how broken his legs are? He desperately needs to be under the treatment of a veterinarian. Metabolic Bone Disease is not something a novice can treat on their own.

Please read the care sheets on chameleons in general and Veileds in particular. They are located under Resources on this web site I believe.

Chameleons do not like to be handled. Chameleons in pain from broken legs don't like to be handled even less.

Please do not handle them. I think you are mistaking escape/fear behavior to "liking" being handled. Animals that are not comfortable or are afraid will often flee. Sometimes they freeze. You cannot come to the conclusion that they like it just because they are active.

Chameleons do not handle stress well, and handling them is stressful. Maybe someday you will be able to have a good enough understanding of the animals's basic nature to be able to handle it without causing it stress you aren't there yet.

You have piqued my curiosity. Can you explain again what it was you found that you thought were drugs? Are you talking about hard white almost granular globs/pieces? Maybe yellow or orange?
no they were white but his whole terrarium smelled like the bath salts. If that's what they are.

also when we got him we thought he was just weak and malnutritioned not as bad as he is. second of all they are my first chameleons and i've looked up many things but honestly looking up the diseases they can get never occurred to me. I just thought that they'd be healthy that people can at least be mature enough to do that. I'm really thankful of your reply and everyone else's. I hope i can get him better.

also when we got him we thought he was just weak and malnutritioned not as bad as he is. second of all they are my first chameleons and i've looked up many things but honestly looking up the diseases they can get never occurred to me. I just thought that they'd be healthy that people can at least be mature enough to do that. I'm really thankful of your reply and everyone else's. I hope i can get him better.

I think what you found in his cage was urates. Urates are a waste product produced in the kidneys. When a bird or reptile defecates, they also pass urine and urates from the kidneys. When they dry, they can become quite hard like rocks. When they pass them, they can be liquid. Urates should be white and sometime they might have just a bit of yellow or orange on the tip. If the urates are yellow or orange, it is indicative that the animal is dehydrated. Dehydration can cause permanent kidney damage. Dehydration is a big problem with captive chamleons.

Honestly, can't you see the legs are bent and broken? Their bone structure is very similar to ours. From the elbow to the wrist should be basically straight, not with bends or angles.

Please take him to the vet. This is not something you can handle on your own. Very few people can keep chameleons healthy. I don't understand that because a veiled is a tough, easy chameleon to keep. They need proper lighting (none at night). They need proper temperatures and that includes a drop at night. They need good hydration and food. Please read the care sheets.

I think what you found in his cage was urates. Urates are a waste product produced in the kidneys. When a bird or reptile defecates, they also pass urine and urates from the kidneys. When they dry, they can become quite hard like rocks. When they pass them, they can be liquid. Urates should be white and sometime they might have just a bit of yellow or orange on the tip. If the urates are yellow or orange, it is indicative that the animal is dehydrated. Dehydration can cause permanent kidney damage. Dehydration is a big problem with captive chamleons.

Honestly, can't you see the legs are bent and broken? Their bone structure is very similar to ours. From the elbow to the wrist should be basically straight, not with bends or angles.

Please take him to the vet. This is not something you can handle on your own. Very few people can keep chameleons healthy. I don't understand that because a veiled is a tough, easy chameleon to keep. They need proper lighting (none at night). They need proper temperatures and that includes a drop at night. They need good hydration and food. Please read the care sheets.
okay what you're saying is very offensive. I just said they are my first and i've had him for almost 24 hours. I've been so involved in just him i didn't look for that. Like i said he's very skinny so i thought it was malnutrition. As in what i found in the habitat was nothing i didn't find anything. We just texted the people and it wasn't bath salts it was something i soak in water and they expand for a source of water for crickets. Also they only had him for a month so the people he got them from didn't take care of em. Another is i didn't say i wanted to do this on my own i never said that. I asked people if they knew what was wrong with him so i didn't do it on my own so i could have someone tell me the best vet around me or something. So please don't twist my words and thanks.

okay what you're saying is very offensive. I just said they are my first and i've had him for almost 24 hours. I've been so involved in just him i didn't look for that. Like i said he's very skinny so i thought it was malnutrition. As in what i found in the habitat was nothing i didn't find anything. We just texted the people and it wasn't bath salts it was something i soak in water and they expand for a source of water for crickets. Also they only had him for a month so the people he got them from didn't take care of em. Another is i didn't say i wanted to do this on my own i never said that. I asked people if they knew what was wrong with him so i didn't do it on my own so i could have someone tell me the best vet around me or something. So please don't twist my words and thanks.

What is offensive?

I tried to give you some insight into what you might have found in the cage. Your description was so confusing and convoluted it just didn't make any sense. Dried urates was the first thing I thought it could be since they can be almost crystaline. If you read what I wrote, you would have learned something about chameleons physiology. I explained that their skeleton was pretty much the same as ours so if there is a deviation in it you could look at your own body as a reference. On a side note I am still absolutely gobsmacked every time someone posts pictures of their broken legged chameleons and don't notice. You are not the first and won't be the last but it always still astounds me. I have no way of knowing what you intend to do, but I just wanted you to know that you needed a professional to help you with him. If you are lucky, the bones are healed.

i feel this person has done nothing wrong and clearly has come here for help and advice- and has only had the chameleon for a very short time- I think words could be phrased a little more tactfully- sometimes if they are not it's enough to push people away which isn't going to help the chameleon is it?

What is offensive?

I tried to give you some insight into what you might have found in the cage. Your description was so confusing and convoluted it just didn't make any sense. Dried urates was the first thing I thought it could be since they can be almost crystaline. If you read what I wrote, you would have learned something about chameleons physiology. I explained that their skeleton was pretty much the same as ours so if there is a deviation in it you could look at your own body as a reference. On a side note I am still absolutely gobsmacked every time someone posts pictures of their broken legged chameleons and don't notice. You are not the first and won't be the last but it always still astounds me. I have no way of knowing what you intend to do, but I just wanted you to know that you needed a professional to help you with him. If you are lucky, the bones are healed.
i don't think they are and i'm going to take him to the vet today anyway because of how he is. And honestly i never new about MBD and my female doesn't have it i checked but i figured maybe since he was a male he'd have different leg shapes because you know males are more colored and have other differences so i thought it was one. And when he was grabbing his foot earlier and sitting on my hand i didn't know that was bad i thought it was funny because i thought he would know not to grab his foot but it was over something entirely different that i didn't know of and it wasn't bad articulation of where to walk it was MBD. And i did read yours and i was taking notes and i was learning that is why i came to the forum.

Did you read the care sheets yet?

The lights you have for this chameleon are not adequate. You have no UVB lights, only a basking bulb (UVA) and a "night" light which he doesn't need. A drop in temperature is good for him.

What kind of lighting do you have for the female? She has a massive demand for calcium, much more than the male. She puts enough calcium into those eggs to last the growing babies for months.

Metabolic Bone Disease has many causes but the primary cause is nutritional combined with improper lighting. They need (phosporus-free) plain calcium in their diet. They use calcium for a lot of things, one being the functioning of muscles. They need Vitamin D3 to be able to use their dietary calcium. The best way to get D3 is from UVB either lighting or sunlight. UVB light is converted to D3 in the skin. They can also get D3 from their diet, but I wouldn't trust any reptile powder to contain what they say they do. There are no regulations or testing for human supplements.

There is a heavy demand for calcium during growth and producing eggs. If there is not enough calcium available from diet, the chameleon takes it from their bones. which is why they get weak and break or bend. Bones are not a static structure. Bone is constantly being replaced. This is a very complex problem. There is a link at the top of the Health Section written by a reptile vet which starts to explain MBD.

i feel this person has done nothing wrong and clearly has come here for help and advice- and has only had the chameleon for a very short time- I think words could be phrased a little more tactfully- sometimes if they are not it's enough to push people away which isn't going to help the chameleon is it?
I bought him from his previous owner now a little over 24 hours ago. In the pictures, he didn't look bad he actually looked a little plump. Anyway when we were in the car heading home we checked him out and seen he was very skinny. So, first thought? Starvation. I mean i never even thought of any disease being wrong with him. And I have everything for him except for the vitamins because i was told by a pet store that was only if they needed extra and said it could hurt them with his UVB light because he gets vitamins from it. i didn't question it b/c you'd think they know what they're doing. The guy who owned him before me only had him for around a month. How he didn't notice how skinny he is irks my nerves but i guess i should've known as well with his legs. But he has such vibrant colors that i paid attention to his colors rather than what i probably should've looked at. When i found out it was MBD i started reading on it and wanted to cry because it meant he was going through this for months. I think the very first person who owned him sold him to the guy before us knowing he was sick. And what you're saying i'm saying. i haven't had him for very long. But I seen something was off along with other relatives which we thought was starvation, so i did come here for help and advice but i didn't think he'd have MBD either. But now that i do know i'm going to take him to the vet and take my female just to be safe and get them checked out.

Back
Top Bottom