Veiled Chameleon Problem

babyhuck

Okay, so my veiled chameleon has me a little worried about him. (He is the one in my avatar picture)
I'll give you a little background so you will understand everything.
I bought him about 4 month ago and the woman said he should be about 6-7 months old now. Obviously before buying him I did a lot of research and set up his home. I took him to the vet for a check up about 3 weeks ago and they said he was doing wonderfully (and that he was incredibly social for his age and seemed super happy which I liked hearing).
Recently, I moved into my college dorm and he moved in about 3 days ago. In his enclosure he has plenty of space and it's the same basic set up as before the move, except now hes doesn't sit in front of a window (the window was always shut so he wasn't getting any extra UV rays or anything). In his tank currently, he has lots of plants, vines, and branches. He also has a small pool of water with an aerator, a waterfall, a fogger, a reptile carpet, an IV drip of water, his heat lamp, and his UV lamp (which I tested to make sure it was still emitting rays). I spray his tank 2-3 times a day and he has the same feeding routine (crickets [gutloaded and rolled in the supplement] and mealworms occasionally). He is eating completely normally and seems to be using the restroom fine (sometimes it is harder to spot where he last went).
Basically, I am worried about him because he seems out of character right now. I'm not concerned about his eating or anything, but he used to be a lot more lively. He was under the care of my father for a while who wasn't as social with him and maybe that affected his attitude, but he still responds to me the same so I'm not entirely sure. He gets plenty of sleep (I put him to sleep before myself). I am not sure if he is drinking very well though. I am concerned because I use some air fresheners in my room and don't know if that can contaminate his water? But he seems a little darker and drier than normal, but his eye sockets are fine. The current temperature is about 72 degrees (not in his basking spot) and the humidity is at about 74%.

Any advice would be so appreciated, because this little one is the love of my life and I am willing to do absolutely anything for him.

Thank you so much!
~Breezy

Welcome to the forums. Some recent photos of you chameleon and his enclosure would be very helpful. You called his enclosure "tank" and I am wondering what kind of enclosure he has??? Are you misting and dripping him? Chameleons need to be misted for a good while to get them in the mood to drink and they need a dripper so they can drink even after the misting is over. Does he have a UVB light? What kind? What supplements are you using? What are you feeding and how are you gut loading your feeders? I have a blog for new keepers and if you will check it out it will tell you what all I recommend to keep your chameleon healthy.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...ng-veiled-panther-chameleons.html#comment2259

Thank you jannb!
I mist him for about 5-10 minutes every time I mist and the IV drip bag drips continually throughout the day.
He has a UVB light that I tested to make sure it was still emitting rays. I think it was the one by national geographic, and I have an extra for whenever this one stops emitting.
For feeding, I gutload with Mazuri that his vet gave to me and they are prepared in NatGeo's reptile calcium supplement powder.
I've done a lot of research, but I will check it out for sure because you can never know enough when it comes to these guys.

These are all the recent photos I have of him.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

IMG_7136[1].jpg

IMG_7131[2].jpg

IMG_7200[1].jpg

I mist him for about 5-10 minutes every time I mist and the IV drip bag drips continually throughout the day.
He has a UVB light that I tested to make sure it was still emitting rays. I think it was the one by national geographic, and I have an extra for whenever this one stops emitting.

I'm not familiar with this bulb. Many so-called "full spectrum UV bulbs"
don't produce the correct part of the UV spectrum that chams require. If you are seeing some health changes I would probably suggest changing the bulb to one most of us use. The Arcadia tube fluorescents (available through our forum sponsor "Light Your Reptiles") or a ZooMed ReptiSun 5.0 are great.
For feeding,

I gutload with Mazuri that his vet gave to me and they are prepared in NatGeo's reptile calcium supplement powder.

I don't know anything about this supplement. However, there are 3 different supplement dusts you should be using on the following schedule:

Plain calcium (no added Vit D3) every feeding. A light dusting is fine.
Calcium with added vit D3 once every 2 weeks.
A herp multivitamin once every 2 weeks. Maybe some tweaking of your husbandry will solve the problem! He may still be adjusting to the move so is a bit subdued.

I've done a lot of research, but I will check it out for sure because you can never know enough when it comes to these guys.

These are all the recent photos I have of him.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply!

View attachment 111609

View attachment 111610

View attachment 111611[/QUOTE]

Are you sure that you have a male. Does he have spurs, little bumps on the heels of both back feet?

I was just going to ask the same question. It's hard to see in your pictures, but I'm not really noticing any sort of spurs on the back feet (could just be the picture though). Is there any way you can get a good picture of his/her back feet to confirm/deny the sex?

Is he getting enough bright light?

I have Arcadia quad lights (UVB, two 6500K bright lights and a plant light) and I still think it is dark in their cages. I noticed when I switched from a Zoomed LED light and UVB tube plus an incandescent bulb for a basking light to the Arcadia quad lights that my veiled just perked right up. Brightened up, got more color and started to grow a lot more. I attribute it to the lighting only. There is more to lighting than just UVB and heat.

You moved him from a place he got natural light--maybe that's the problem.

I also wonder about the sex.

Back
Top Bottom