Veiled chameleon not acting right and eye trouble.

OG Style

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Viled, maybe 2 months, male, about 5 1/2 inches long. We have had him for about 1 month.
  • Handling - A few times a day.
  • Feeding - Crickets & mill worms. He was eating about 5 crickets in the morning and a few mill worms in the evening.
  • Supplements - Zoo Med Calcium without D3 daily on the crickets. Exo Terra calcium with D3 and Zoo Med reptivite twice a month.
  • Watering - I use a dropper and spray bottle. I mist 5 or 6 times a day. I have seen him drinking water.
  • Fecal Description - dark in color and solid. He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - Bought him from a pet store.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 3 feet tall and 18 inches wide and deep. It all screen.
  • Lighting - the lights are Zoo Med. One is a uvb and the other one is a daylights blue thats 60 watts. The lights are usully on from 7am to 7pm.
  • Temperature - The cage stays around 75 degrees in his basking spot. I'm using a digital thermometer. He only goes to the bottom of the cage to get a drink.
  • Humidity - Around 40% next to the cage.
  • Plants - No living plants.
  • Placement - It's not near any vents. The top of the cage is about 5 feet from the ground.
  • Location - North America, Ohio.

Current Problem -
My son got a chameleon last month and everything seemed fine with him. He started acting weird the last few week. First he was having trouble opening his eyes. The vet gave me Vetroplycin to put one his eyes and it helped. For the last week all he wants to do is sleep. He barely opens his eyes to look around when I get him out. Sometimes there will be a bulge on his eye and he will rub his eyes on my hand. The buldge will be there one minute and gone the next. He got some fluid out of one of his eyes once.

Thank you.

Your basking temperature should be in the low to mid 80's F. If the temperature isn't right he won't be able to digest his food properly.
Cooler temperatures will likely make him want to sleep more too.

Hi there! I would definitely suggest getting some live plants to help with his humidity. A cage that size perhaps a Pothos or Dracaena would fit. The eye issue seems to be a common complaint from pet store-bought chams. Also, a blue light daytime light really doesn't help him from what I have researched and could be a contributing factor in his low basking temps. I would replace it. Just my two cents :)

Hey there - let's see if I can help out a bit.

First off, the lighting needs to be corrected. His UVB light should be a fluorescent tube lighting. It sounds like you have a coil bulb which is next to useless. For his basking light, blue lights are no good. Please get a 60 watt regular household bulb from the dollar store or Walmart. Test the temperature in the closest spot he can access under the basking light - 87F would be appropriate for that age of a veiled.

Second, get a live plant in there - or a couple. I use a large schefflera arboricola (umbrella plant) and pothos (golden ivy) as they will hold moisture and increase humidity in the cage. They will also hold water droplets on the leaves MUCH longer than fake plants will which is important for access to drinking water.

Bulging out the eye is their attempt to clean out some debris so that is normal behaviour. Give him extra mistings so he can rinse it out, otherwise you could end up with an infection that will need vet care. Perhaps he has some shed stuck around that eye?

His eyes should be open while lights are on. Once you resolve the lighting and plant/water issues with your son's setup - you may see an improvement in the little guy. I would also suggest not handling him so often. He is quite young and a few times a day is excessive for a chameleon. I would leave him alone for a week or so other than basic care (and the suggestions I made) so he can de-stress. Then, resume handling only a couple times a week for a few minutes. They are really not a great pet for a child who wants to interact. Stress can open them up to a large list of ailments as it weakens their immune system and in a little one such as yours, it can be fatal.

Do pet stores sell Veileds as young as two months?
I have seen our local Petco sell them that young, and possibly younger. Thankfully they house them in larger cages than others I have seen, but they are still glass with poor ventilation and awful temp/ humidity levels.

In addition, if you consult with a store employee, they too often recommend their in house vet. This is NOT A GOOD IDEA! If you have any furbabies, I would reach out to their vet if you trust them and ask for local exotic vet recommendations. Then, have a list of questions ready to ask when you call them such as:
1. what experience and credentials do you have with Veiled Chameleons?
2. How often do you see and treat veiled chameleons?
3. Do you accept walk ins as well as appointments?
4. Do you have any references you would feel comfortable with me contacting such as breeders?

And any other questions you feel comfortable checking into such as pricing for visits, etc. Our Cham isn't here yet but we were able to find a great exotic Cham vet before he has even arrived and we will set his first appointment the day he arrives.

P.S. I am a very overprotective Cham Momma :)

The bulb is a 5.0. I have also noticed that he has had his nostrils puffed out a little and takes some deep breathes through his mouth. His nostrils look fine today. He also keeps trying to walk around with his eyes closed. I have been taking him outside and letting dim walk in the grass the last few days. He seems to enjoy it.

Attachments

• W.jpg
    W.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
It would NOT help if he had a companion. Chameleons are generally solitary creatures.

Is he eating? Is he's wheezing?

Can you post a couple more photos so I can see him from the side. His eye looks swollen in the photo you posted already. I'd also like to see his size too.

If he's not keeping his eyes open all day, breathing with his mouth open then he is sick and needs help ASAP.
Correcting the lighting, adding live plants are all improvements that will be beneficial but won't solve the issues your chameleon is presenting with. I'm afraid he needs a good exotics vet.

My son's chameleon is doing better. I added a live plan and changed the bulb. I take him outside for a little bit each day. He doesn't like water thought.

Back
Top Bottom