Veiled chameleon male and female

jacquesvanzijl

Hi Guys

I'm just enquiring if one should not put male and female together in one cage?
i have heard that you should separate them as the female will attach the male after awhile ??

Is this true or could one have a pare in one cage?

She is 18 months old and don't have a partner yet for her first want to make sure

thank you

see pic of her ")

Hi Guys

I'm just enquiring if one should not put male and female together in one cage?
i have heard that you should separate them as the female will attach the male after awhile ??

Is this true or could one have a pare in one cage?

She is 18 months old and don't have a partner yet for her first want to make sure

thank you

see pic of her ")

Do not put them together. the only time they shouod be in the same cage is when she is receptive and you want to breed her.

Can a few people try to clarify the answer is "No"?

Ive seen soo many different answers...

I have read that as long as the space is big enough, then its doable...

I think as a general rule, it isn't a good idea. They could fight, as they are territorial animals, but also the female can get stressed out from having the male trying to mate with her constantly.

I know some people can successfully house both sexes in a very large enclosure of free ranging, but I don't think it is something that should be attempted by most.

one more question :)

Can one have 3 females and have one male???? separated of coarse :)

so i can mate with only one male

Just make sure the male is not related to the females. it doesnt matter if the females are related to each other, as long as you dont plan on breeding their offspring with each other.
Do you have the info needed for their laying bins? Also, i heard that females can start cycling as early as 6 months, but i dont think its recommended. Also, females can cycle without being mated.

Can a few people try to clarify the answer is "No"?

Ive seen soo many different answers...

I have read that as long as the space is big enough, then its doable...

There are several reasons not to keep more than one cham in the same cage. First, most cages pet owners are using are simply too small to permit more than one cham to bask, drink, eat, sleep, and establish its territory without being constantly stressed by the presence of the other. In the wild the animals have the ability to move away from each other. They don't in a cage. Even though they may not actually fight, they do show aggression visually by posture and color change. Even seeing each other all the time from across a room could be too much stress. Their primary sense is sight after all.

Second, once the male is mature he'll be interested in breeding regardless if the female happens to be receptive. She can't get away from him and ends up stressed, harassed, possibly injured, or she could injure the male trying to defend herself. If they do breed you'll need to separate them anyway as the female will not tolerate the male once she is gravid.

Third, every cham is an individual. Some chams are more tolerant (they have smaller personal territory) than others. By the time the keeper knows their particular cham personalities and space needs it may be too late...one cham is already in trouble, sick or dying. Why take that chance?

The space needed to keep more than one cham together varies and the individual experiences of different keepers make it hard to be precise. I would not keep two veiled chams in anything smaller than a bedroom.

Just make sure the male is not related to the females. it doesnt matter if the females are related to each other, as long as you dont plan on breeding their offspring with each other.
Do you have the info needed for their laying bins? Also, i heard that females can start cycling as early as 6 months, but i dont think its recommended. Also, females can cycle without being mated.

YOu don't want to breed a female younger than a year as they have not completely developed/matured. There's no reason to breed at a younger age...it's not a race.

There are several reasons not to keep more than one cham in the same cage. First, most cages pet owners are using are simply too small to permit more than one cham to bask, drink, eat, sleep, and establish its territory without being constantly stressed by the presence of the other. In the wild the animals have the ability to move away from each other. They don't in a cage. Even though they may not actually fight, they do show aggression visually by posture and color change. Even seeing each other all the time from across a room could be too much stress. Their primary sense is sight after all.

Second, once the male is mature he'll be interested in breeding regardless if the female happens to be receptive. She can't get away from him and ends up stressed, harassed, possibly injured, or she could injure the male trying to defend herself. If they do breed you'll need to separate them anyway as the female will not tolerate the male once she is gravid.

Third, every cham is an individual. Some chams are more tolerant (they have smaller personal territory) than others. By the time the keeper knows their particular cham personalities and space needs it may be too late...one cham is already in trouble, sick or dying. Why take that chance?

The space needed to keep more than one cham together varies and the individual experiences of different keepers make it hard to be precise. I would not keep two veiled chams in anything smaller than a bedroom.

Thank you very much... :-D

thank you guys !!! this information is what i was looking for

i'll have 3 chams females in there septate cages and one male in a different room in his cage.... then I will let them breed and take the male away....

so there will be no injuries .... love my chams so much

Back
Top Bottom