Veiled chameleon lighting advice/help

Setth

Hi there, i am new here and looking for advice. I have young veiled male cham (1,5 month old i think) in glass terrarium with ventilation on top and bottom front. Dimensions are 60cm length (23,6"), 38cm width (14,96"), and 90cm height (35,43").
I was using exoterra reptiglo 2.0 as daylight and reptile 100UVB + basking spot.
My chameleon started closing eyes and he didnt move mutch. I was told that exoterra bulbs have had problems so i replace them.
shock.gif

Now i have compact bulbs in reflector, arcadia d3 7% 26w and ott-lite 26w as daylight. I get rid of basking spot, because that arcadia already rise temp to 32-33 (89-91F) celcius on top part in this days (but temp in apartment was 27-28 (80-82F) so i think i add basking for winter seasson). Temp on bottom is 24-26C (75-78F).

For future, i would like to use linear tubes, my thoughts is on arcadia electronic controller for 2xT5 tubes, one UVB, one for daylight in reflector.
Here comes the question: i need to place them inside the terra from ceiling in the middle, or it would be better for ventilation to place them both to front side or little back, or one front, one back?
Are there any other options with this type of terrarium? I know many people tell me "you need screen enclosure for veiled" but i think i cant keep him in screen in winter in my place, it can be realy cold here.

Old setup:
32NXGXY.jpg
QBrV6Ok.jpg

New setup:
2LWT4PH.jpg
epX9AFu.jpg

Hey, thanks for welcome :).
Do you think i can place them on that steel ceiling? I have them there because i fear that top would filter too mutch UVB. I would be very happy if i can place them on top (y).
Btw he was there on that spot only 1time, usually, he is right under Ott-Lite 26W bulb (i have lowered branches already a little).
What you think about using linear tubes there? In or Out?
I thought i can get rid of that steel ceiling and replace it with mesh, but i dont know if there would be good amount of air circulation, after i place some lights on top.

Thanks for reply ;)

No other advice or critics, just "get lights out of cage" ? ;)
Hi and welcome to the forums, I'm write new to them myself and ask for advice when I need it (quite often lol) the light issue is definitely the first thing to be sorted, I can't tell from the pic but do you access the viv from the top or is there sliding doors? I keep my lights on top but my whole viv is mesh so won't have the same issue for ventilation but I have attached a photo so you can get the idea. Hope out helps a bit and feel free to ask more questions (y)

Attachments

• 20170705_175942.jpg
    20170705_175942.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 140
Thanks for welcome and for pic, your viv looks nice ;). I have sliding doors, right under the feeder on 3rd pic, you can see little white ring cut in to the glass. I have this viv in living room, i know it's not best place for him, but i can't place it anywhere else right now. Because of that, i fit that reflector that way. If you look from up from couch without that, you would be blind :) (viv is on 120cm cabinet). I will try to cut that steel top with razor blade and replace it with mesh, so i can put lights on it. So far, he can't get to the lights (i place branches little lower).
How about vegetation? Isn't that too mutch? I am considering to that bigger ficus, cham never use it anyway.

I wish you all good day, and sorry for my english (y)

For years now I have used long linear Repti-sun 5.0 UVB bulbs for UVB in a double hood with the second bulb being a white fluorescent tube light. I use regular white household incandescent bulbs in hoods for heat/basking. The wattage depends on the temperature I wish to create.

I place the double fluorescent fixture along the back of the cage and the incandescent light at one end of the cage. This creates a chimney effect for circulation of air. U use exoterra cages with the mesh lids and vents in the front under the doors. I live in Canada som this works. People who live in other areas may have to make adjustments.

I never put lights inside any cages because even though you think the chameleon can't get to the light sometimes they do. I'm not taking the risk.

This is what works for me...its not the only way to go. Others may do things differently.

It's important to have a proper basking temperature to aid in digestion, good supplementing and feeding/gutloading of insects to keep the chameleon healthy, a good source of water to give your chameleon the best chance of a long life.

What are the dimensions of the viv? It honestly seems large for a 1.5 month old! Maybe it's just me, but I like to keep real small juveniles in a smaller cage until they get a little bigger and I know hunting the crickets in the larger cage wont be an issue for for them. Same goes for too much vegetation when they are too little, makes it harder to find and get to food. As far as lights go, I don't use tubes, so I have no advice for those kind. I prefer the 2 in 1, UVB/basking in one. Definitely the more expensive route to go though.

@kinyonga - thanks for advice. Can i ask which double fluorescent fixture u use? And which controller? Arcadia for 2xT5 is for 80-90euros and Hagen Glo 2xT5 is about 44 euros for example (same W).
I wanted exoterra too, but this kind of viv which i have was for 80euros (exoterra in that size is 170euro in my country). Now i regret it, in future, i never ever go this way again for chameleon, because i need to adjust that viv, or atleast that ceiling (i hope the glass will not crack in process).
I heard somewhere, that you dont need basking for young ones, but i have there little 20W halogen in gu10 socket - he bask there for 10mins in the morning and then he goes elsewhere. It's realy hot in these days, so i turn off basking bulb after 60-90mins and turn it on again after work (16:30) for 60mins.

@Abram - thanks for advice. Dimensions are 60cm length (23,6"), 38cm width (14,96"), and 90cm height (35,43"). Yes, it is large for him, but i can't find other cons (atleast everyone says only this one) than "he can't find crickets there". I give him food in feeder, i
'll wait until he eats, then i go to work. After work, i check feeder, add more food if its empty (almost never is) and even give him some food from hand (after work we go catch some grasshoppers - family time (y):)). I get rid of that bigger ficus for sure and add some branches.
By 2 in 1 you mean metal halide lamps, something like solar raptor make? You need other source of light or just this one? It is almost same price here, if i buy metal halide with controller or 2x T5's with controller, so i am open to that option as well ;).

Thanks for help guys, really appreciate it (y)

The fluorescent fixtures I bought at a hardware store...so I can't tell you the brand...and I live in Canada so it won't help you if you don't live here anyway.

So it's full fixture with reflector and controller build in it right? Just some generic brand, no need for arcadia waterproof etc? ;)

Thanks very mutch. I was just curious, if i need to buy some super special terrarium controller and reflectors. Local hardware store it is then ;).

Hey all, just a quick (and late
thumbup.gif
) update (i did not want to create new topic only because of that
victory.gif
).
I moved my cham to new enclosure about 2weeks after my last post here (so july i think). That big ficus is for hes new enclosure, but i dont want to keep him waiting, so he can go there if he wants to
mf_dribble.gif
Lights are the same, so arcadia uvb + ottlite 6500K + sylvania 42W for basking. Room temperature is always between 23-26 grade of celsius. I have covered 2 sides only because of water was all over the wall after misting
thumbup.gif

I'm just considering bigger enclosure (now is reptibreeze 46*46*91), but for this, i make new topic for sure and hope for some advice too
icon_redface.gif

Attachments

• IMG_20171105_111039.jpg
    IMG_20171105_111039.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20171105_123523.jpg
    IMG_20171105_123523.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom