Veiled Chameleon Laid Eggs

KarmasMommy

Hi,so my dad was coming home from work a while ago and saw a veiled chameleon crossing the road.We've had her a while,and,well...She's not moving as much as she used to,and there are florescent orange egg-shaped things on the bottom of her cage.There's only two so far,and we're not sure how long they've been there...we're pretty sure they're eggs,but we don't know if they're fertile or not,and with the amount of pet chameleons people are letting into the wild it's very likely they are.She's pretty big,too,about a half a foot long(haven't seen her with her tail stretched out all the way,though,so she's probably way longer),and she's been on the bottom of the cage for a bit.
So,my question is,how can we tell if they're fertile?We have to put them up to a light without rolling them to see the pink veins,right? And if they are,what should we do to make sure the eggs are safe?I don't want to throw them out,in case they are little ones :(.I'm worried,because we're not really too wealthy right now.​
Anyway,will our local pet store,Petco,have anything for this?​

I'll add pictures soon,of both my chameleon and her eggs.The eggs aren't in a cluster,either,so they might end up just being florescent orange poops o_O

Welcome to the forums. Pictures will be very helpful. Females need a laying bin in their enclosure at all times after they reach 4 to 5 months old. They lay eggs without a male even being around. It sounds like the eggs may not be shelled and that could be a bad sign. Normally a veiled can lay from 35 to 60 or even more eggs. If you don't have a laying bin for her get one ASAP. They can become egg bound and die without a proper laying bin. I'm attaching a few links below about making a laying bin and the egg laying process.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Thank you both so much.I'll get started on the egg bin right away-she does look very bloated.I'll add pictures in a moment.:(

Question:potting soil IS NOT SAFE,right?SO I need unfertilized soil?

She needs a place to lay the eggs ASAP and while she is digging do not let her see you watching her. If you delay getting the egglaying bin there for her even for a couple of days you will be pushing her towards eggbinding.

Use an opaque container at least 12" deep by 12" by 8" full of moistened washed playsand.

Infertile eggs would be about the size of the fancy flavored jelly beans and not pure white....fertile eggs would be pure white and slightly larger. Best just to incubate them and you will know soon enough.

To incubate them you need some coarse grained vermiculite, slightly moistened, put in a shoe box sized tupperware container. Lay the eggs in rows about an inch apart in all directions (each in a thumb print sized dent). Pace the container somewhere that the temperature will be about 74F. They will hatch in about eight months.

Okay,we had unfertilized soil that had no chemicals in it and she's moving around a lot in the bucket she has in her cage.We have a plant in there,put some crickets in the cage and watered her before covering her cage.She should be good now,I think?

Sorry for the rerrible quality,we don't have a decent camera on us right now :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_20150927_202302.jpg
    IMG_20150927_202302.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20150927_202501.jpg
    IMG_20150927_202501.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20150927_202514.jpg
    IMG_20150927_202514.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20150927_202518.jpg
    IMG_20150927_202518.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 120
She needs a place to lay the eggs ASAP and while she is digging do not let her see you watching her. If you delay getting the egglaying bin there for her even for a couple of days you will be pushing her towards eggbinding.

Use an opaque container at least 12" deep by 12" by 8" full of moistened washed playsand.

Infertile eggs would be about the size of the fancy flavored jelly beans and not pure white....fertile eggs would be pure white and slightly larger. Best just to incubate them and you will know soon enough.

To incubate them you need some coarse grained vermiculite, slightly moistened, put in a shoe box sized tupperware container. Lay the eggs in rows about an inch apart in all directions (each in a thumb print sized dent). Pace the container somewhere that the temperature will be about 74F. They will hatch in about eight months.

Okay,I've done everything you've said within a span of one hour.She explored for a bit before sitting on the branch in there and she's shifted around on that alot.She doesn't look too bloated anymore now that she hasn't got herself wedged in between two branches, so I think we did it in time.I can see the eggs near her hips,though,is that a bad sign?

Edit 9/28/15:She's started laying eggs!Thank you all for your help!

Back
Top Bottom