Veiled chameleon is closing eyes turing the day!!

Koressel

I own about a 3-4 month old female veiled, everything has been fine until about a week ago when she stopped eating crickets (not very many at least).. but i can get her to eat wax and meal worms right now, and that's about it. BUT its seeming like shes getting less and less energy, and lately shes been closing her eyes during the day. The last few days her left eye has mainly stayed closed which is REALLY concerning.. im not sure what the problem is, my only guess would possibly be a supplement shes missing. Some type of vitamin possibly? Anyways i will have pictures posted of the cage and of her and if anybody can help or has any information please contact me on here or email me at [email protected]

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 193
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 184
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 199
More details

Info:
Handling is rare only lately when i find her with her eyes closed, so i usually run warm water and the shower to wake her up. other than that she doesnt liked to be handled.

i feed her crickets gut loaded with kale, lettuce, carrots, and or flukers cricket food. wax and meal worms, and she usually eats greens but hasnt eaten anything lately besides worms ever seen shes been closing her eyes. (mainly her left eye [seems like its been scratched or looked into a light too long.])

i mist her screened cage at least 3-4 times a day and also have a dripper i use occasionally if i don't notice her drink for awhile.

Ive not noticed anything wrong with her feces, from the research ive seen everything seems okay.

I have a screened cage Height- 3 ft width- 3 ft length- 1 1/2 ft

for lighting i was using a basking bulb but recently broke, so now ive decided to order strip lights, for UVA i have a naturesun t8 fluorescent tube.(just git in mail 2 days ago). for UVB im using a reptisun 5.0 bulb, but im soon replacing it with the same thing only itll be a tube also, which should be in within 1-3 more days. (ive heard that some bulbs are hard on their eyes..

The temperature in the cage stays and 70 during the day and drops usually to low 60s at night.

i try to keep the humidity between 50-70 at all times. misting the cage works, but not for long. so i keep a damp towel on one side on the cage.

i do not have any live plants yet, mainly bcuz stores arent carrying them at this time.. but i do need one asap...

My cage is located in my closet to keeo the humidity and temperature where they need to be ( and because its winter at the moment)

Also live in indiana, not sure and taking her outside right now for real sunlight would not be a good move

i posted a few pictures above, if anyone can help me please contact me asap

My guess would be that she either got something in her eye, the lights are too bright, or she has a vitamin A deficiency. In the picture her eye does not look inflamed/infected to me. Without being able to open both her eyes, she would not be able to aim at and catch crickets, so I wouldn't be surprised if she only ate slower moving food.

Since it sounds like you have already had her in the shower and given her a chance to flush out her eye, I would guess its less likely to be something in it, unless it is really stubborn.

What supplements are you using? What is the basking temperature? And how far away are the UVB bulb and the basking bulb? By the way, UVB bulbs always put out UVA (standard fluorescents do as well), and you will still need a basking bulb even with strip lights, because most fluorescents do not get hot enough to provide a good basking temperature.

You mentioned the basking bulb broke. If she is not getting the right temperature she will not be able to digest her food and may become lethargic. The basking temperature should be 85F. See below for more info:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

thank you for responding. i believe it is because of a bright bulb, particularity the uvb. but i havent gotten another basking bulb bcuz somebody told me 85-90 degrees is too hot for it right now. but i have all lights at least 6 in away from cage. but im calling a clinic tomorrow, i also think it is a vitamin a deficiency. also she did miss a worm in my hand twice in a row this morning and that doesnt happen. but theres also times were she seems fine. its mainly one eye thats irratating her

That's normal that she is missing food when one eye is closed, they need both for depth perception. You could try turning off the UVB bulb for one or two days, and if she opens her eyes that was probably the issue. Just don't leave it off longer than that since lack of UVB can cause metabolic bone disease.

What are you using for supplements/dusting? What is the actual basking temperature? If it is 70, then that is definitely too low. Although 90F would be too high for that age, 85F should be fine.

Make sure you find a vet that has knowledge of chameleons. They have special requirements, so not all vets know how to treat them.

yeah thats kind of what i assumed, i will definitely will try that too. Plus im calling a vet clinic tomorrow also to ask the same questions, but seriously thank you for your time and advice!

Back
Top Bottom