Veiled Chameleon growth chart

jejton

Does anyone have one? I've read quite a few threads asking about a cham's health and size, especially regarding females and judging if they are growing too fast and at risk for egg binding. I'd like to see a chart that has average growth rates and age/sizes for use as a reference.

Hoping to see this thread answered

The only reason im posting on here, is because i really wanna see this thread answered! I am very curious indeed about an average growth rate chart. Im curious as to wether mine is perhaps growing too slow or not.

PS. This almost 4 year old thread has like, 1,600 views and no responces.

what the heck! no responses?! i would like to know as well but i think there might not be responses because each cham is differet an grows at a slightly different rate

I was actually thinking about making a growth chart after intensively researching about the signs of growth and hatching and stuff. I searched around for a growth chart, but I could not find one.

I'm a beginner to chameleons but I hope with the right info I could draw up a nice horizontal chart

I was actually thinking about making a growth chart after intensively researching about the signs of growth and hatching and stuff. I searched around for a growth chart, but I could not find one.

I'm a beginner to chameleons but I hope with the right info I could draw up a nice horizontal chart

Yes - let's get this going. I'm no expert, but I feel there is enough knowledge on this forum to get something like this created. Although I would be very surprised if it didn't already exist....I'm going to keep searching.

chams all grow differently.. just like anything else :p

True, but I would assume there are still general ranges that one should be within to be considered healthy or growing at a somewhat normal rate. Obviously variations would be expected, and one outside of the range would not necessarily be deemed "unhealthy". It would still be nice to see what the averages were. I imagine this has to be in a book or on a forum somewhere.

True, but I would assume there are still general ranges that one should be within to be considered healthy or growing at a somewhat normal rate. Obviously variations would be expected, and one outside of the range would not necessarily be deemed "unhealthy". It would still be nice to see what the averages were. I imagine this has to be in a book or on a forum somewhere.

I was thinking of drawing on the computer a picture of an egg along with info about what you should look for in a healthy egg, what to look for if it is infertile, ect, and then the next panel has a newborn chameleon. Then go by two month periods after that until adulthood.

I was thinking of drawing on the computer a picture of an egg along with info about what you should look for in a healthy egg, what to look for if it is infertile, ect, and then the next panel has a newborn chameleon. Then go by two month periods after that until adulthood.

That would work. You would want to make sure and give dimensions on the chart as well, as people will not necessarily view and/or print to scale.

I was hoping to find this as well.
I have my first, I think I will start taking monthly photos of her until she is grown up for everyone looking for the same info.

Any updated info? I almost a week in with mine and am keeping track since I was unable to locate any info.

Squishy - how is your info looking?

I asked this a while ago and had a small response but... I can't remember the name of the member but they past on the records of their male and female yemen to me and they both lived happy "average" long lives. I don't know how to post links to feed but if you can find it through my profile it's on there.

If you can't he said that all are different but if they're putting on around 2 grams a week till around 12-18 month then that's a healthy weight gain

My baby veiled cham was about 5 inches and 4 grams as of 2weeks ago hes about 5 months old eats a mix of insects meal wax and crickets for now till spring hope this helps with size and weight

i've never kept a growth chart but egg binding from too fast growth? Never heard of that before in my life. My guess would be maybe too fast growth with poor calcium supplementation = egg binding maybe? Personally I'm not a huge fan of slow growth as it is not natural, so maybe mine grow a bit faster than many others. But I've never had a problem from fast growth either. I've kept and bred veileds for 22+ years now.

These are some I took pics of a year or two back and knew their ages at the time as I posted it them on the forums at that time at 6 weeks and 9 weeks old. Not sure if these are the exact same animals in the pics or not, but they were from the same clutch so some might be:

6 weeks:
veileds.jpg

9 weeks:
p1010004.jpg

Edit- I *can* see how slow growth is a safety net if someone is not providing adequate nutrition (slow growth= less demand for nutrients), or if someone doesn't know how to set up a proper thermogradient and is afraid of cooking or dehydrating or burning their lizard. So it can be a safety net of sorts I suppose.

You can see the casques are nice and straight too. Good bones.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a little bit older, but I will post another thread in hopes to get a little more traction. I have been searching high and low for a chameleon growth chart and I can't find one. I know every chameleon grows at a different rate, but it would be nice to see what the average is.

I have decided to try to compile as much information as I can and make my own! In order to do this I will need everyone's help. If you could, please tell me the age, weight, length (inches or centimeters), and species of your cham. I am mainly making this for Veileds because from what I have seen they are one of the most popular (and mine is a Veiled, ;)) but if I get enough info for other species I will try to chart them too.

Back
Top Bottom