Veiled chameleon eggs

How much longer do they have??? & Some seem more developed then others? I may be off on my dates some. I thought they were laid October 15th 2021. After scrolling through Facebook they were laid September 26. So only off a few weeks. I've read they can hatch at 150-200 days. I wasn't expecting them till April. I'm almost all the way prepared. Just need a couple more plants & start the fruit fly cultures but those need 15/17 days to hatch & lay eggs. So if anyone else is experienced with candling there eggs, how much longer do you think we have? Theyre 138 days. But with hatching being 5-9months even longer it's hard to go by dates. So I'm trying to go by candling.

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_162834907.jpg
    IMG_20220206_162834907.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20220206_163733663.jpg
    IMG_20220206_163733663.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20220206_163418574.jpg
    IMG_20220206_163418574.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 105
Welcome to the forum!

What temperature are you keeping them at?
Thank you. I was just doing the closet method no heat. My house usually stays around 72degrees. Its been a little chilly the last couple of days. Yesterday I checked them with a temp gun & it said 68. So I put them in a warmer spot. Only went up to 70 tho. This late idk if I should add more heat to them or not.

When I incubate veiled eggs I keep them at about 74F. I say about because the temperature can fluctuate a couple of degrees up or down during the day and night the way I do it. It almost always takes close to 250 days to hatch them that way...so I would say yours have quite a bit longer to go. I don't candle chameleon eggs so I can't tell you by seeing the inside of the eggs sadly. Perhaps others on here can tell you about that.

When the eggs are getting close to hatching, they should shrink in size, develop "windows" (areas that look thinner, slightly brown on the eggs) and sweat. They don't always do this all though.

When I incubate veiled eggs I keep them at about 74F. I say about because the temperature can fluctuate a couple of degrees up or down during the day and night the way I do it. It almost always takes close to 250 days to hatch them that way...so I would say yours have quite a bit longer to go. I don't candle chameleon eggs so I can't tell you by seeing the inside of the eggs sadly. Perhaps others on here can tell you about that.

When the eggs are getting close to hatching, they should shrink in size, develop "windows" (areas that look thinner, slightly brown on the eggs) and sweat. They don't always do this all though.
Oh wow. So I may still have awhile. I have a friend whose chameleon laid just over a month before mine & her eggs just started sweating. & With as full as these are already. I guessed I may have a month to 2 months left. I just want to be prepared & get my fruit fly cultures going before they hatch cause that takes 17 days to hatch & lay more eggs before I can feed them.

What temperature are your friend's eggs being kept at?
Using the closet method. I did check them yesterday with a temp gun. It said 68. So I put a heat pad in there. With 4" between the egg container & pad. It's back up to 72. It's been getting in the single digits at night here lately. Idk if 68 is too cold or not. But I don't want to increase the heat to much. Not sure if that would shock them or cause hatching issues.

& Maybe it was a typo but in the other person's question asking about there eggs u said 150 days. Not 250. I've been reading all these post researching & looking for answers. My eggs are at 138 days. Give or take a couple days. She was down there for 48hrs. I through my old calenders out after the new yr & had it wrote on there. Went scrolling through my Facebook to see if I posted when she laid. It was the end of September. I'm still planning for April. But will start keeping a closer eye on them when they reach 150days.

You said..."Maybe it was a typo but in the other person's question asking about there eggs u said 150 days"...it must have been a typo if it was veiled eggs.

Other people's experiences...I don't incubate them this high ever...
https://reptilesmagazine.com/how-to-breed-veiled-chameleons/
"Egg boxes are placed on shelves in a walk-in closet-size room that is heated to a fairly constant 80 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, incubation lasts for 165 to 200 days".

https://www.reptilecentre.com/blog/2018/03/how-to-incubate-yemen-chameleon-eggs/
At 84F "eggs will take roughly 6-9 months to hatch".

Last edited:
You said..."Maybe it was a typo but in the other person's question asking about there eggs u said 150 days"...it must have been a typo if it was veiled eggs.

Other people's experiences...I don't incubate them this high ever...
https://reptilesmagazine.com/how-to-breed-veiled-chameleons/
"Egg boxes are placed on shelves in a walk-in closet-size room that is heated to a fairly constant 80 degrees Fahrenheit. At this temperature, incubation lasts for 165 to 200 days".

https://www.reptilecentre.com/blog/2018/03/how-to-incubate-yemen-chameleon-eggs/
At 84F "eggs will take roughly 6-9 months to hatch".
So keeping them at cooler temps, might take longer to hatch them? I usually keep my home at 72. But it's been getting cold at night. So early AM I noticed they were at 68 degrees. Wonder if it would be too late to add it heat if it would do any damage. Maybe not. Cause of season change I'm sure in nature the ground warms up some. & Thank you for sharing those articles.

I've never changed the temperature part way through incubation on any eggs I've hatched no matter what species. The only fluctuation mine have ever had is the one or two degree change during the day every day that happens in my house...and since the eggs are always in containers I doubt if amounts to much.

You might want to read this...
https://www.researchgate.net/public...of_the_veiled_chameleon_Chamaeleo_calyptratus
"Incubation at moderate temperatures provided the best conditions for both embryonic and post-hatching development. The highest incubation temperatures were disruptive to development; eggs had high mortality, developmental rate was low, and hatchlings grew slowly. Changes in temperature during incubation increased the among-clutch variance in incubation length relative to that of constant temperature treatments."

Last edited:
Starting to see more shapes. 😍 Some are Fuller then others or more developed & less translucent.

Attachments

• IMG_20220214_125433203.jpg
    IMG_20220214_125433203.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220214_124438277.jpg
    IMG_20220214_124438277.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220214_125052928.jpg
    IMG_20220214_125052928.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 100
Back
Top Bottom