Veiled chameleon egg help!!!!

Jwspong

Hello all, I've been incubating my veiled chameleon eggs in a Tupperware container with vermiculite for approximately 10 months now.

Eggs look good, when holding a light to them I see veins. I was starting to doubt them because it was taking so long for them to hatch so I cut one open and found a partially developed chameleon.

Wondering if anyone could tell me how close they are to hatching or why it might be taking so long. Thanks!

I've attached a picture of the little guy that was inside... Seems to be alive... I'm guessing there is no way to save him?
:(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 224
No, he's a goner! What temps are you keeping the eggs? Shouldn't take near that long for calyptratus eggs to hatch. Are you sure he was alive?

When u see the eggs start sweating with water drops that is a sign getting ready to hatch; it depends on what temperature u incubating those eggs along with the humidity inside the vermiculite container for the eggs to develop n hatch.

No, he's a goner! What temps are you keeping the eggs? Shouldn't take near that long for calyptratus eggs to hatch. Are you sure he was alive?

Eggs are kept in a small container in a closet wrapped in towels. Temperature around 72 degrees F. Positive it was alive.

Should I maybe get a heater and raise the temp a bit?

When u see the eggs start sweating with water drops that is a sign getting ready to hatch; it depends on what temperature u incubating those eggs along with the humidity inside the vermiculite container for the eggs to develop n hatch.

I've heard about the sweating of the eggs. I've been checking every few days lately. Will the eggs eventually start to mold if they are no good? Maybe I could get a heater? Or best to just leave it for now?

mine just hatched after 8 months. have you been adding water to vermiculite to keep humidity levels? Ive read of hatching of up to a year depending on conditions.

I would get the temp up to 75F. Although I imagine they will eventually hatch at what you have them. From the looks of the neonate you cut out of the egg
I would guess it's going to take another month or two at your present temps. Just don't cook them trying to get them to hatch sooner!

I had a clutch of 26 eggs and about 7 months in, one collapsed. I opened it up to find a little guy what looked exactly like that. Took another 2 months for the rest to hatch. I'm in southern Ontario and the temps ranged from 69-75 for the duration.

I'd just hold tight, don't make any drastic changes. If they've made it that far, they'll come round I'd think.

I've heard about the sweating of the eggs. I've been checking every few days lately. Will the eggs eventually start to mold if they are no good? Maybe I could get a heater? Or best to just leave it for now?
Usually the non fertile eggs mold in the first few weeks,since ur eggs are 10months old,you should let them hatch on their own,patience is the key ,just dont let the vermiculite dry out with the correct humidity so the eggs will be nice n plump.Below is the panther eggs pic for u to see,veiled eggs should be similar,good luck!

Attachments

• 20151228_153413.jpg
    20151228_153413.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 20160131_072405.jpg
    20160131_072405.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 185
Back
Top Bottom