Veiled Chameleon diet

Thehippie

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just received a new member of the family yesterday and he is a completely full grown veiled chameleon about a foot long or more, how do I go about breeding food for him, as a new chameleon owner I know really nothing about breeding crickets, worms or roaches. if anyone has advice that would be great. also are there any fruits or veggies safe for him to eat? I want him to have a varied diet.

Start with roaches for a breeding project a lot of species are easier.

Dubia, orange heads, ivory heads, hissers etc.

Supers are the next thing but honestly wait until you have a couple different colonies of roaches going. Supers take a bit more finesse on the finer details.

Other things to breed I don't suggest crickets the smell is horrid once you start breeding no matter how clean you try to keep them. Silkworms, advanced; Waxworms, medium; isopods, easy; snails, advanced; stick insects, advanced.

So once you know which ones you want to breed I can give you a break down on what you need to breed each one.

update: I gave him a day to settle and fed him the next he had about a dozen crickets and 5 super worms all dusted in calcium. is this normal for a full grown veiled chameleon and also is it okay to feed him a pinky once every month or every other month now that he's a foot or longer? the previous owner I know used to do that.

Pinkies are frowned upon highly, they will eat it but it’s very high in fat and Chams are insectivores anyway. People do it but it is staunchly opposed by most experts on Chams.

Pinkies are frowned upon highly, they will eat it but it’s very high in fat and Chams are insectivores anyway. People do it but it is staunchly opposed by most experts on Chams.
okay so no pinkies and are there any fruits or veggies I can feed a veiled that are completely safe?

I just received a new member of the family yesterday and he is a completely full grown veiled chameleon about a foot long or more, how do I go about breeding food for him, as a new chameleon owner I know really nothing about breeding crickets, worms or roaches. if anyone has advice that would be great. also are there any fruits or veggies safe for him to eat? I want him to have a varied diet.
I have fed my chameleon carrot shedding and dandalion greens in the past

The amount you fed was a lot but depends on how often he eats that much and whether he can control himself on his own or isnone of those chams that is an eating machine. I feed adult male chams every other to every 2 days depending on the amount i am feeding at once and the individual chameleon. I have only ever once needed to feed an adult male chameleon a lot every day and he was just a generally weird cham, my first boy Ryker. But it depends on their weight and health over all. I would feed 5-8 feeders every other day and maybe 10-12 feeders if you do every two days. But like i said it hugely depends on the chameleon and his metabolism

Back
Top Bottom