veiled chameleon breeding?

joshuajohnson06

I have a male and female veiled chameleon, she is 12 weeks and is is a few weeks younger I want to breed them but don't know when is a good time to do it, age wise, also do you need a breeders license to sale and breed chameleons.

DEFINITELY!

DO NOT breed her if she is only 12 weeks. That is ludicrous.

:( always wait until they are mature. 1 1/2 years old would be safe. 1 year is ok.

I didn't get the feeling that they were thinking about breeding at this age. Just that they were asking what age is best.

It seems to me like OP needs to do a ton of research. The appropriate age to breed chameleons is probably the easiest thing to figure out, and if OP does not even know this, it speaks volumes to the complete lack of knowledge they have in regards to the care and breeding of chameleons.

In my opinion, you should not even consider breeding, and I hate to sound grim, but if you do not seriously put in some time researching and putting into practice proper husbandry, it is very unlikely your pair of chameleons will survive to reach a safe breeding age.

My advice to you is sit down for an afternoon and browse the forums. There is a wealth of information available, plus countless reliable members of this community, some of these members are vets, and many have years and years of experience. This will help you a ton, and maybe when you feel you are ready to breed, you will have obtained the information you require to successfully breed and care for your chameleons and their offspring.

It seems to me like OP needs to do a ton of research. The appropriate age to breed chameleons is probably the easiest thing to figure out, and if OP does not even know this, it speaks volumes to the complete lack of knowledge they have in regards to the care and breeding of chameleons.

In my opinion, you should not even consider breeding, and I hate to sound grim, but if you do not seriously put in some time researching and putting into practice proper husbandry, it is very unlikely your pair of chameleons will survive to reach a safe breeding age.

My advice to you is sit down for an afternoon and browse the forums. There is a wealth of information available, plus countless reliable members of this community, some of these members are vets, and many have years and years of experience. This will help you a ton, and maybe when you feel you are ready to breed, you will have obtained the information you require to successfully breed and care for your chameleons and their offspring.

Yeah, that's a way to welcome a new member to the forums! Way to go! I bet you knew everything from the very first day you got your first chameleon.

Now, Treetopchameleons, I don't know you personally and I am not saying what you wrote is wrong, in general I am also of an opinion that one should research all the available information before getting on with any kind of project, especially if it is chameleon breeding, but there are waaaay better and nicer ways to say what you said. And what are these forums for if people can't even ask a question without being judged like that?
This is one sure way to make sure, that this person is gonna turn around and never come back to these forums, let alone research the information here.

To the OP: It is indeed not advised to breed before they reach at least one year of age. It is for the reason that until that age they are still growing and developing themselves and need nutrients, minerals and vitamins for their own bodies.
You write that you have a pair - do you keep them together or separately? If you do keep them together, then you should look into getting separate cages for them ASAP, because chameleons are solitary animals and have to be kept separately. They are introduced shortly to each other during breeding and then separated again. The reason for that is that one of them will inevitably become dominant and keep the other one from getting enough food, good basking spots, etc. which will result in a lot of stress and in worth case scenario - death of one of your chams. You might think that they are getting along, but trust me - there are signs that they are not, but those signs may be so subtle that you just don't notice it.
Also, I don't know whether you want to breed them as a commercial venture, so I won't make any assumptions, but I have to warn you that breeding and raring chameleons is a costly affair, not only in terms of money, but also in terms of time. Veiled chameleons are the most common ones on the market, so they are also pretty hard to sell, unless you are ready to sell them cheap. Most people who tried chameleon breeding for the first time agree on the fact that it is not worth it from the economical standpoint and one is lucky if one can get all the expenses covered once the little ones are sold.
In regards to the license question - I can't answer for sure, because you don't write where you live. In most places it is not required, but it might be different where you are from.
All in all, just make sure that you have very healthy animals, quite bit of experience and as much information as you can before you consider breeding your chams, because otherwise it might not turn out the way you expect it.

All the best,
JUlija

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom