Veiled Chameleon Breeding Tips?

perkinschammie

Hello!! I have an adult female veiled chameleon (we're sure she's female, she's laid eggs!:p) and a younger male veiled (somewhere between 6-12 months). I am going to begin breeding them just as soon as the male reaches sexual maturity. We've tried to pair them up and the female has shown receptive coloration, but the male kind of just stares at her like 'what am I supposed to do?' Before I pair them up anymore, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for breeding? I'm pretty sure about the basics (how to pair them, incubation statistics, what to feed the newborns, etc) but I do have a few questions.
First of all, how will I know if their breeding has taken? And if the breeding doesn't take, how soon after can you pair them up?
Does anyone have any techniques to keep the incubated eggs at a constant temperature? I have experience with snake breeding, such as putting the eggs in vermiculite and keeping them in dark areas, but was wondering how chameleon incubation is different?
How soon after birth is it safe to sell the babies?
How many babies can you keep in a tank together? (I have been told that after around 3 months they shouldn't be housed in groups)
Also if you guys have any other tips, I'd love to hear them!

First of all they can reach sexual maturity at 6 months.
Second you'll know when it has taken by the way the female colors up. and she won't let the male anywhere near her.
Third if it don't take I'm assuming you mean she had infertile eggs. I would wait at least 6 months to let her recuperate.
Fourth most just keep them in their closet as long as it stays pretty constant at around 72 degrees. I have used a incubator before it makes it more precise if your not sure about your house temp.
Fifth Some sell them as early as three months.
sixth well they have anywhere from forty to eighty babies I think you could keep them all in the enclosure if it where big enough, so I guess size would be your limiting factor.
Hope this helps:)

Back
Top Bottom