Veiled Cham. UV Lighting

Maci14

I have a male Juvenile Veiled Chameleon in a 18w"x12d"x20h" screen cage. I will be making a much larger enclosure in a few months. I also will be purchasing a T5 ho for the new cage, possibly an Arcadia, but need something now for the smaller cage.
Will either one of these fixtures work?
Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture
OR
Zilla Slimline Reptile Fluorescent Lighting Fixture with 3-Percent UVB Lamp, 18-Inch

I was going to use a T8 ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb. Will this be enough UV lighting for him for now? Or should I get the Zoo Med T8 ReptiSun 10.0 UVB?
Or any recommendations? I will not buy a $80 fixture for this cage just to have to upgrade in a few months, and don't want it hanging over the sides. (I know I need more foliage, I didn't expect to buy a chameleon 2 days ago, lol)
rsz_1rsz_0527171751_hdr_film1.jpg
rsz_0527171515a_hdr_film1.jpg

Thank you, nightanole. I currently have a CFL 26w Reptile UVB 100 on the cage (previously known as a ReptiGlo 5.0).

I know for a fact that CFL's are bad for reptile eyes, but needed a source of UV for a week or 2. Until a day ago, when I was told CFL's don't give out enough UV for Veileds. I'm not good with math, pars, and such when it comes to lighting.

I didn't go looking for a pet, but am trying my best to get what he needs asap. What I purchased the same day was a quick fix. I just bought the Zilla Slimline 50 and the Reptisun 5.0 fluorescent bulb and it will be here in 2 days. I also have a vine and some more plants coming, as well. I have calcium w/o D3, and will be getting Repashy Calcium Plus with LoD in 2 weeks, which I will give twice a month. I have someone who will trade me a single socket light for my double, so that I still have a fixture for the basking bulb.

Meh it could be good for months with 1-2 hours of outdoor sun and a good d3 supplement. A couple of breeders use 100% d3 and no UV lightning.

And the bad for reptile eyes thing was when the bulbs first came out like 8 years ago. They produced non terrestrial UVC in huge amounts that the uvb meters were not picking up.

Ok, thanks for the info. I have no way to get him outside as of right now. He's very stressed, hasn't been eating crickets and I do not want to bother him by taking him outside. So I won't cancel my order and will set up the new lighting in 2 days. But that is good to know. Ill keep the bulb as a back up.

Back
Top Bottom