Veiled Cham hiding all morning?

LibbyRhiann

Hi,
I got my veiled chameleon, male, 10 months old, on Sunday 13th September.

Yesterday after chatting to a member on here, It came to light about the fact the pet shop had sold me all the wrong things, this has left me feeling super stressed and anxious for my chameleon.

Last night he was hiding a lot behind the leaves and he came out this morning and so I tried to feed him some locus, but as soon as he seen me, went straight back into hiding and refused the food. I have noticed that he is shedding so wondering if this can be the reason for his behaviour changes?

I have today ordered a new screen cage which is 2ftx2ftx4ft, and have ordered the T5HOfixture along with the 6% uvb Arcadia bulb, also a digital thermometer and hygrometer and I have the analog ones, these were recommended by a lovely member on here, they come tomorrow, I have also removed the bark substrate and placed down paper towels.

I’m just really worried as the thought of me doing any harm to him makes me very anxious.

Hi,
I got my veiled chameleon, male, 10 months old, on Sunday 13th September.

Yesterday after chatting to a member on here, It came to light about the fact the pet shop had sold me all the wrong things, this has left me feeling super stressed and anxious for my chameleon.

Last night he was hiding a lot behind the leaves and he came out this morning and so I tried to feed him some locus, but as soon as he seen me, went straight back into hiding and refused the food. I have noticed that he is shedding so wondering if this can be the reason for his behaviour changes?

I have today ordered a new screen cage which is 2ftx2ftx4ft, and have ordered the T5HOfixture along with the 6% uvb Arcadia bulb, also a digital thermometer and hygrometer and I have the analog ones, these were recommended by a lovely member on here, they come tomorrow, I have also removed the bark substrate and placed down paper towels.

I’m just really worried as the thought of me doing any harm to him makes me very anxious.
Most petstore dont know anything about chameleons. He’s just scared of you. He think of you as a predator, someone who is going to eat him or hurt him. Shedding can cause then not to eat, it’s normal. As they mature as well there attitude will change and they’ll become territorial if there cage.

If you’re trying to build trust, feed out of a cup. Put the gutloaded bugs in a cup and dust them with supplements and hold it. They will see the movement and come over. After feeding time is done leave them alone. Then as he starts to build a little trust in you put a worm on your hand, then up your arm so he has to climb out.

Once you get the new cage and UVB he will feel more safe in the large space. Have you got live plants? If not that’s a much. They hold humidity and veiled love to eat there plants.

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Hi Hayley.

I read up a lot about live plants and was going to purchase but the pet store told me that plastic leaves would be just as good, should of known better really and not listened to them, his new cage and lighting comes tomorrow and I’m going today to purchase some plants, I have the veiled tested plant sheet so hopefully once I have changed these things he will be okay!

Hi Hayley.

I read up a lot about live plants and was going to purchase but the pet store told me that plastic leaves would be just as good, should of known better really and not listened to them, his new cage and lighting comes tomorrow and I’m going today to purchase some plants, I have the veiled tested plant sheet so hopefully once I have changed these things he will be okay!
Hi, that’s perfect, a great plant is golden pothos. It’s grows beautiful vines, grows quickly, and is almost impossible to kill. Live plants hold humidity better, and are safe for your guy to eat. If you need a example of a correct enclosure i can show you mine. Whatever helps.

Hi, that’s perfect, a great plant is golden pothos. It’s grows beautiful vines, grows quickly, and is almost impossible to kill. Live plants hold humidity better, and are safe for your guy to eat. If you need a example of a correct enclosure i can show you mine. Whatever helps.

I am on my way to the garden centre so will look out for that, and yes please a picture of your enclosure would be great help! Thank you!

Also dont be to concerned if he is hiding from you. Beings as you just got him he's gonna be shy, especially since he's having to adjust to a whole new enclosure set up. It usually takes them a week or two to feel comfortable enough.

Okay. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I have a pothos, 2 hibiscus, and a croton. My branches are far away because i have a baby so he picks how much heat he wants. Then i’ll attach a image if the boy who lives in there.

Attachments

• E3D5070C-A9B3-4BAC-873E-E17248475DCD.jpeg
    E3D5070C-A9B3-4BAC-873E-E17248475DCD.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 9B036A30-E8BA-4049-9C41-BBFC3E448549.jpeg
    9B036A30-E8BA-4049-9C41-BBFC3E448549.jpeg
    443.6 KB · Views: 80
Okay. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I have a pothos, 2 hibiscus, and a croton. My branches are far away because i have a baby so he picks how much heat he wants. Then i’ll attach a image if the boy who lives in there.

Can I see the bottom of your housing? Do you have a plant pot for the plant and then nothing else on the bottom?

also he is gorgeous!!

yep i just have the plant pots and a few sticks so if he goes down there he can come back up. Then the black thing you see around of the cage is a drainage pan. Thank you.

View attachment 277277
All the plants I managed to get :)
You can use everything but the ivy.... Keep the bracing sticks in with the umbrella and the ficus. IT will help them hold the weight of the cham. You will need 1 inch rock or larger to put on the top of the soil to keep him out.

These are my three enclosures. This is what your going for. You can have plants in pots on the bottom as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

you will want to figure out a drainage plan. Some buy plastic washing machine trays to go below the cage and the cage sits into it then they will drill a hole in the center to allow for it to drain into a 5 gallon bucket.

You can use everything but the ivy.... Keep the bracing sticks in with the umbrella and the ficus. IT will help them hold the weight of the cham. You will need 1 inch rock or larger to put on the top of the soil to keep him out.

These are my three enclosures. This is what your going for. You can have plants in pots on the bottom as well. https://www.chameleonforums.com/media/albums/my-enclosures.6672/

you will want to figure out a drainage plan. Some buy plastic washing machine trays to go below the cage and the cage sits into it then they will drill a hole in the center to allow for it to drain into a 5 gallon bucket.

Yes I seen hayley’s enclosure, I decided on a screen cage, so I have ordered that one, I’m going to get a large tin and put underneath the enclosure to allow for the draining, I’m going to leave him what he’s in tonight just so I’m not moving him around twice, as he’s been hiding all day and won’t come out, and when the new things come tomorrow i can get it all set up before moving him into it!

Yes I seen hayley’s enclosure, I decided on a screen cage, so I have ordered that one, I’m going to get a large tin and put underneath the enclosure to allow for the draining, I’m going to leave him what he’s in tonight just so I’m not moving him around twice, as he’s been hiding all day and won’t come out, and when the new things come tomorrow i can get it all set up before moving him into it!
Good plan. And have you found branches? You can use something like plastic trellis and cut it to fit the enclosure inside back and side panels then zip tie it to the screen. This way you have a way to attach branches with zip ties. It would be like this. She used expanding bamboo in this one. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/diy-screen-enclosure-question.171996/post-1525651

Good plan. And have you found branches? You can use something like plastic trellis and cut it to fit the enclosure inside back and side panels then zip tie it to the screen. This way you have a way to attach branches with zip ties. It would be like this. She used expanding bamboo in this one. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/diy-screen-enclosure-question.171996/post-1525651

Yes I had bought quite a lot of branches in store, but notice people actually say you can find them in parks and just wash them thoroughly... but wasn’t too sure about this so purchased a lot! And washes them all before putting them in. And haha you read my mind! I have bought plastic trellis to attach to the sides and back!!

Yes I had bought quite a lot of branches in store, but notice people actually say you can find them in parks and just wash them thoroughly... but wasn’t too sure about this so purchased a lot! And washes them all before putting them in. And haha you read my mind! I have bought plastic trellis to attach to the sides and back!!
Great job hun! So yeah you can use branches from outside. They just can not be from sap producing trees like pine, cedar, and eucalyptus. They should be washed with dawn soap and thoroughly rinsed. But you are good if you got real branches from the store. that is not something we have access to easily in the US.

Back
Top Bottom