Veiled cham hiding all day.

Ibuki

EDIT; Forgot to add this. Go figure, between being sick with worry and busy with work my brain is kinda scrambled.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 10 month old female Veiled Cham. Had her since she was 3 months old.
Handling - Not often. Sometimes once while feeding to check her out, make sure everything is in order. Once or twice every two weeks at most.
Feeding - Crickets, Dubai Roaches, Grasshoppers, Superworms. Equal to 2-4 large feeders every two days. I gutload them with a variety, at the moment they have some cabbage and collard greens.
Supplements - Reptivite, once a week - sometimes twice.
Watering - I mist her 2-4 times a day as well as making sure I water all the plants. She normally drinks off her body, so it's easy to see when she's 'done'.
Fecal Description - I believe she was tested before we got her, though it'd probably be a good idea to test her again for parasites. Regular colors for her poop, nothing's changed - white for her urates.
History - She's normally not shy, hence my thread.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Mesh, Flexarium 100.
Lighting - Not sure of the exact model of the light but it's probably a Reptisun, UVA and UVB. She wakes up at 7:30am, goes to sleep at 7PM. Going to slowly get her on a winter scheduel more now though.
Temperature - 30 celsius for her basking spot, 23 at the lower part of her terrarium. In the night there's no light and I cover her but I'd say it probably drops to 22 in the warmest spot.
Humidity - 50-80%, I water regularly and have live plants. Ontop of the digital thermometer I have the non-digital one that measures humidity too.
Plants - Yes, live plants. I have pothos, hibiscus and dracaena. I check them regularly for pests (had a problem with aphids on some other plants in the house).
Placement - Livingroom, in the far corner. Not a lot of traffic except for the occasional wandering tortoise since she freeranges in the house (edit; the tortoise has been wandering around since before the cham got here so it wouldn't make sense if she was upset about it now - could happen though since she doesnt like the tortoise). Made sure to keep her away from the window and away from any heaters/vents.
Location - Denmark

Soo.. I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and had some family taking care of her (she obviously couldn't come, but she would've loved Portugal!). She seemed in good health when I got back - I gave her a full checkup. No dehydration, sign of injury and still as attentive as ever.. until the day after. I've been back for two weeks now and she won't come out of hiding. Today she hasn't even come out at all despite my watering (which until now made her come out). I'm hoping that it's just the fact that I was gone for awhile and she isn't used to me anymore but I'd love some help if anyone knows what's up or has any ideas.

Her eyes are always open and moving around like normal - I have even spent half an hour watching her closely from a distance to make sure she just didn't keep them open just because I was close.

She has a laying bin and has laid before, only 30 eggs and assumingly was her first lay. It was only 3 months ago so I'd be kinda surprised if she was ready to do it again.

Her colors are all her normal colors too - the 'happy' green colors - no stressed ones.

Sorry for the long post and (possible) overworrying, but I think it's safe to say I love my scaley little friend even if she can be a bit grumpy sometimes - I just want to see her back on her perch basking happily and be able to help her. ):

Last edited:
Your little one could be adjusting to another change in her routine. I'm a little concerned about her supplements. You say you use reptivite once or twice a week. Reptivite comes with or without d3. She should be getting plain calcium without d3 daily. Calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.

Your little one could be adjusting to another change in her routine. I'm a little concerned about her supplements. You say you use reptivite once or twice a week. Reptivite comes with or without d3. She should be getting plain calcium without d3 daily. Calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month.
Thanks for the reply! Her calcium is without d3 so I'll up the dosing a bit and I'll also go and get the others that she needs too. Hopefully the variety in the gutload diet / veggies she gets sort of made up for it until now.
It's a long time to adjust which is what worried me.. her not coming out today was what finally made me post the thread. It is a big change for her though so we'll see how she is when I feed her tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom