veiled cham gravid without mating?

jade4321

Hey can my veiled cham become gravid with out mating? i dont know age, and i am do not want to breed her. i read some other posts and i got confused, help?

Females will lay eggs regardless if there is a Male or not...however im not sure on the age for their first clutch as i have a male Veiled and dont need to worry about it

they will become gravid mated or not. thats a myth. you need a laying bin. you can try to keep her from laying again after this by a diet and controlling her temps. it depends on the cham you have.

okay should i put one to be safe? i am not sure shes gravid. i might post pics but i havent taken any lol

Last edited:
Hey can my veiled cham become gravid with out mating? i dont know age, and i am do not want to breed her. i read some other posts and i got confused, help?

That's what mine did she is by her self and she had 34 infertile eggs..you don't need a male for the female to lay eggs..my Cham is about 6-12 months iv had her since march and she was very small..if you notice a bump abouve her back legs and she's usually at the bottom digging a good idea would be to leave box with sand in their if she is digging or you see that egg above her leg..You don't really have control of them laying eggs..unless you have complete control of every little detail iv heard you can pro long them or keep them from laying eggs at a young age. I'm not 100% on that though

okay should i put one to be safe? i am not sure shes gravid. i might post pics but i havent taken any lol

Gravid is when she has orange and blue colours going on..sorta a rusty look to them..I'll add a picture of my Cham Gravid

Okiroo said..."they will become gravid mated or not. thats a myth"...it is not a myth that they will become gravid mated or not. They most definitely can produce eggs whether mated or not.

Kezia said..."You don't really have control of them laying eggs..unless you have complete control of every little detail iv heard you can pro long them or keep them from laying eggs at a young age"...the size of the clutch and whether they lay eggs or not can be controlled somewhat with diet control at the right times during their cycle.

Jade...I would definitely have an appropriate place in her cage for her to dig to show you that she needs to lay eggs. Not providing a place can lead to eggbinding and death.

You should definitely give her a laying bin to be safe. That's what I plan on doing for my female veiled as soon as she is old enough to lay her first clutch. I would be devastated if she died eggbound.

i will look if she has any lumps above her legs, and take some pics porbably by tomorrow i will have some up :)

and what should i use for a laying bin?

You can fill a planter pot with very moist play sand, you can get a bag for like 3 bucks at lowes. You should be able to dig a tunnel and have the tunnel hold, if you were to make a ball of sand with your fist the ball should hold form, this way it isn't dry enough to cave in.

i will look if she has any lumps above her legs, and take some pics porbably by tomorrow i will have some up :)

I like to take pictures of mine from behind when they are sleeping, in there resting position, then you can look right above the hips and usually see one on each side
Edit: I cover my cage with a garbage bag with a small peep hole so I can check on her without disturbing her. I wish you all the best with your egg laying!

Last edited:
thanks suzi i have a pot with some soil in it for live plants but the roots might get in the way..... but i will just try to dig a hole in it and if i can she can :)

Back
Top Bottom