Veiled cage too big

booshified

im looking to get a veield anywhere 3 to 6 months old. I know that it is recomend that you use a smaller cage for juveniles. Could you use a bigger cage if you use a cup to feed?

When a chameleon is moved into an encloseur that is to big, they can become inactive....they usually will spend all of thier time in one corner of the cage and never venture away.

I would not recomend this.

Thanks,
Jake

You gave an age, but the difference between 3 and 6 months is huge, as far as size. If you tell us how big your chameleon is going to be, then i could answer the question a bit better.

For 3 months though, thsat cage IS to BIG.

thanks,
Jake

i would have to agree. right now my veiled chameleon is in a 12L*12W*24H and he is only about 4inches right now. this cage is doing great for him and he is always wondering around. anyways if you are going to get a baby get a small cage, if you are going for a 6 month old juvenile i would go just a little bigger. anyways good luck

i would have to agree. right now my veiled chameleon is in a 12L*12W*24H and he is only about 4inches right now. this cage is doing great for him and he is always wondering around. anyways if you are going to get a baby get a small cage, if you are going for a 6 month old juvenile i would go just a little bigger. anyways good luck

Yes you are rgiht, a 6 month old chameleon can do fine in a 18x18x36.
I forgot to mention that.lol:p

ok,

i was planning on looking at what was available and going from there but I will def start with a smaller cage then planned.

that being said anyone that has any young veiled they wanna sell let me know. had a friend get 2 from blue beast (at the san diego convention). Next close convention is aneheim in sept and i am not sure if ill be able to make it so I will prob need it shipped.

thanks,
B

they grow fast keep that in mind before you go and buy a small reptarium, you can always divide it with a fake wall....just monitor feeding and you'll be fine

We have had a lot of herping friends and customers who express concern about buying cages for their young chameleon. They figure if they purchase a cham at 3 months, he will need 2 more cages before he is an adult. We agree with them.

However - we figured out the FIX:
Purchase the size cage you will need when the cham is an adult (plan for the big one). If you get the aluminum ones with the removable plastic floor, this is so easy it is ridiculous!!! But don't smack yourself on the forehead - you might get a headache.

Simply sit the cage over a sturdy box that fits inside the cage. Remember the push-up-popsicles...? We call this the push-up house! The box pushes up the floor. The door still opens; you can still put lights on top; you can still use a dripper. You can add plants and branches - but the space is just smaller for the young chameleon.

As the cham gets bigger/older, cut the box in half. Put some new branches in and new plants. When the cham is an adult - eliminate the box entirely. Add taller plants and more branches. Voila! Instant adult cage - when needed.

If you purchase a cage with a solid bottom (non-removable), then create a "floating" floor. Go to Home Depot and have them cut a piece of plexiglas that will fit inside the cage (24" x 36" or whatever the inside dimensions). Use a box underneath the fake floor. As the cham grows to adulthood - just lower the floor until you don't need it anymore.

Hope this helps ya... :)
~Morgana

Back
Top Bottom