veiled behavior problems??

SeaDragon

I've had my male veil for almost 3 weeks. He's a juvenile that wasn't handled AT ALL from the pet store i got him from. So far he's been nothing but a pain! I took him to the vet on day 2 to make sure he was healthy (he kept his eyes closed and i was worried), the vet said he was a little dehydrated, so by misting his cage i've now got him back to full hydration. Problem is, "Zilla" hates me! He lunges for me when i put my hands in the cage to empty the drip dish or release crickets. I can't even get him out to clean the cage. What can i do to make him understand I'm not a threat? Is this how all veileds act? Help plz :confused:

This is perfectly normal for a Veiled. He may chill out as he gets older, or he may get nastier! :)

When you are around him or put your hand in his cage, move VERY slow. Have patience with him and give him time. Maybe try to hand feed him worms. Maybe he might like that. Jann

I have 2 veileds and they both were fiesty like that when they were small. They have both pretty much grown out of it. My female used to bite me so hard it left perfect little triangle marks on my skin! Just be patient, hopefully he will chill out a little with time.

yeah my female runs away from me when I open the cage to feed her. After awhile she will look but stay her distance from me. When I close the cage she will move up slowly with caution. She'll go to the feeder and peek one eye at me and eat. I stop feeding on Sunday so every monday I will try to bait her with some food. Not working but I'm still trying my best to tame her.

I've had my male veil for almost 3 weeks. He's a juvenile that wasn't handled AT ALL from the pet store i got him from. So far he's been nothing but a pain! I took him to the vet on day 2 to make sure he was healthy (he kept his eyes closed and i was worried), the vet said he was a little dehydrated, so by misting his cage i've now got him back to full hydration. Problem is, "Zilla" hates me! He lunges for me when i put my hands in the cage to empty the drip dish or release crickets. I can't even get him out to clean the cage. What can i do to make him understand I'm not a threat? Is this how all veileds act? Help plz :confused:

it's trust issue, really.
he probably saw your hand and equates it as "going to the vet" sensation.
It'll take time.

but, move slow, keep your heart beat calm, and put your hand slowly (wear gloves) under his front legs.
If your hand hover above or on his face, he'll automatically see it as threat.

you can open the cage and set up a plant outside of the door.
Usually, some veiled will get curious and start venturing to the plant.
Once he's out on the plant, took the plant and put him wherever you usually put him during cage cleaning (this is a good opportunity to put him outside to sun).

hope that helps

thanks for all the tips :) glad to know most veileds are crotchety and not just mine. hopefully zilla will mellow, i hate to stress him so much.

what part of texas are you from? I just bought a male veiled that was more or less the same way in lubbock. He hates it when my hand goes in there, but for some reason if a sock is on it he crawls right on it with no problem then i can take the sock off and he's fine crawling around my hand

u can...

also i have noticed with mine colors have alot to do with it wear very light mellow colors around him equivalent to their relaxed colors and it helps also offering food or treats like wax worms to them helps i usually leave mines door open till he wants to come out

Start with hand feeding super worms of crickets. My male panther was very aggressive....now if I enter his cage with my hand flat and palm side up he thinks I have a treat for him. It took about a month to "tame" him down enough to handle him so patience is needed.

I used to house my adult male in a 12x18x24 cage and he was always happy to come out. Since I bought him a 24x24x48 cage he has claimed it as his domain. He is very feisty when I want to remove him, so I don't. Could be that he is very territorial and likes his territory. Bit really hard when I put a female in his cage. He didn't want me to remove her. Fortunately I wore a glove. Once he is out of the cage he is friendly.

Back
Top Bottom