Veiled aggression / attempted murder

jsikes88

So,
Last night at a local Petco I went into the back room with a sales rep. to see a Veiled chameleon who was segregated because of an injury to his tail.
After looking through the enclosure I decided to handle him (about 3-4 inches from head to tail) and took him out of the cage.
The service rep. informed me that no one ever handles the little guy but him, to include putting anti biotics on his injury.
So I put him back into the cage and the rep. took him out, he asked how to tell the difference between a male and female so I tried to point at his foot to show him the knob where his "spur" was starting to form.
As I did this the cham tried to bite me, startled I tried to point again and he seriosly tried to attack me...
Has anyone else had a cham who has been keen to a certain person to the point of trying to attack?

So,
Last night at a local Petco I went into the back room with a sales rep. to see a Veiled chameleon who was segregated because of an injury to his tail.
After looking through the enclosure I decided to handle him (about 3-4 inches from head to tail) and took him out of the cage.
The service rep. informed me that no one ever handles the little guy but him, to include putting anti biotics on his injury.
So I put him back into the cage and the rep. took him out, he asked how to tell the difference between a male and female so I tried to point at his foot to show him the knob where his "spur" was starting to form.
As I did this the cham tried to bite me, startled I tried to point again and he seriosly tried to attack me...
Has anyone else had a cham who has been keen to a certain person to the point of trying to attack?

My male veiled wants blood every time my hand Is towards the back half of his body. It scares them.. come from the front and lower then them never above them

My veiled will attack anybody/anything ALL the time. Some veileds are just notoriously grumpy!!
He may be a bit more defensive because of the injury though.

Mine likes to bite most of the time. I am currently trying to get him to eat from my hand and trust me a little more. I actually kind of like him for it. Little green dude with attitude! I ended up finally settling on the name "Little Bastard" for him, cause he bites. Lol.

Our male veiled Ringo attacked my husband one day just because he moved his fake branch. Now my husband says that their all mine, he doesnt want anything to do with them.

I guess I was really lucky! Trooper Twister was a love. He would go from person to person in a crowd, no problem but I was his favorite. When he was done socializing, he would come back to me an up onto my shoulder under my hair for a bit. He liked to snuggle all the time too (even before he got sick).

He only ever tried to bite one time. Never hissed, and only gaped a couple of times. When he didn't like something he did huff though. Just like a kind of coughing/puffing sound. The vet got that alot--LOL.

Some good stories lol,
I have 2 veiled, 2 faly and 2 ambanja and none of them act that way. maybe a body puff or grunt but never lunging forward with a gaping mouth.

So no one has experienced cham attachment where they would try and defend thier human?

I had a wc faly that would lunge, bit, hiss and anything else you could think of and on the other hand I had a mitsio that would come to the cage door when he saw me. So it's all about personality good or bad.

well my mom wanted to hold him on her arm today and he wanted to bite her,after that he ran like crazy on my arm and hissed at her!hehe was so funny!when i put him in his cage he was watching her like crazy!

well my mom wanted to hold him on her arm today and he wanted to bite her,after that he ran like crazy on my arm and hissed at her!hehe was so funny!when i put him in his cage he was watching her like crazy!

thats is pretty funny

My Kiwi loves to climb over my body. However, he is kind of defensive while he is inside his cage sometimes.

my veiled hisses at her food, at the water dripping in her cage. she gaps and leans her head on my hand when i pick her up, i think she's trying to threaten me but after realizing that as always I'm not scared of her her will climb on my hand but still puffed up with an open mouth. She doesnt go to anyone else very well, she will fall off people just to get away. I took her to get breed by a male in town and as soon as the owner took her from me she lunged and snapped at the lades face, almost got her but ended up taking a chunk out of her finger instead. She's got a lot of attitude, i think its just how some are. My first chameleon Kato was a sweet heart, never puffed up, never hissed, never gapped. Loved sitting with me, I couldn't open his cage without him climbing on my hand.

well with my ambilobe ive noticed he sure as hell does not like me, had to clean up the shed he somehow managed to get on every part of a 3 foot sheffelera. So i decided that i would use this chance of cleaning to get him out for some natural sunlight. so i open the door and got moved my hand slowly towards him, he wasn't going for that so he puffs up opens mouth and swipes a little reminder nip at the air near my hand so i made the smart choice to get my gloves on so i finally after biting the glove for 30 seconds i managed to get him onto my hand and off we went out to the back yard. I placed him in his newly bought 4 foot hibicus and makeshift enclosure he settled down but he was some of the most amazing colors ive seen him was mostly baby blue and fire red. everytime i went near the hibicus with him in it he would roll himself around a branchand puff up so i couldnt see him but the second my girlfriend got near him he settled down and seems to love her she can touch and pet him and he could care less i go near him and its sionara fingers..

sorry i blabbed on but my take is there all different just gotta accept them for who they are

my veiled hisses at her food, at the water dripping in her cage. she gaps and leans her head on my hand when i pick her up, i think she's trying to threaten me but after realizing that as always I'm not scared of her her will climb on my hand but still puffed up with an open mouth. She doesnt go to anyone else very well, she will fall off people just to get away. I took her to get breed by a male in town and as soon as the owner took her from me she lunged and snapped at the lades face, almost got her but ended up taking a chunk out of her finger instead. She's got a lot of attitude, i think its just how some are. My first chameleon Kato was a sweet heart, never puffed up, never hissed, never gapped. Loved sitting with me, I couldn't open his cage without him climbing on my hand.

wow, bet that lady wasnt very happy. but your cham was probaly like... yeah i got you :D

I must be really lucky with the chams i got so far,
my veileds are really friendly (unless your a cricket)
And TexasRanger just sent me 4 panthers,
2 faly and 2 ambanja, and they are all pretty friendly. The little ambanja females puff up at each other but thats about it.

And let me tell ya, best looking Faly females I've seen, strong dominent colors. Even the Ambanjas at 3 months are displaying very strong colors.

wow, bet that lady wasnt very happy. but your cham was probaly like... yeah i got you :D

she didn't seem to really care, she breeds chameleons so its probably not the first time. although she said she has never come across such a mean female

I had a wc faly that would lunge, bit, hiss and anything else you could think of and on the other hand I had a mitsio that would come to the cage door when he saw me. So it's all about personality good or bad.

I agree. I have a female that is really pissy all the time, turns almost black when I walk in the room, she tries her best to stay away from the door, and hisses when I get close. If I'm able to get her out of the cage she turns bright green, and calms down just sitting on my hand never trying to move. On the other hand, my male has been handled since hatching, and will constantly stay bright turquoise sunburst, but if I go and get him out he turns brown and starts to hiss or lunge off your hand.

On a side note, I notice they react differently to the clothes you wear, i.e. my red hat seems to set them off worse then when I don't wear one at all

Back
Top Bottom